Any Roofer Types Here? Price Check

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Any Roofer Types Here? Price Check

Post by Blaine »

I've never had a roof done. My big carport and the nice attached shed has a flat, torch down tar roof...about a 3-4 square job. All new plywood (estimated 30 sheets), flashing, a gutter, and some custom work to cover the space between my carport and front house deck/entrance. Lay down a fiberglass padding, and a nice granulated torch-down. Is 5700$$ cash seem too high? :cry:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Any Roofer Types Here? Price Check

Post by Mescalero »

Yep.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I would get 5 estimates from long-time established roofers. without boreing all to tears about My issues, You can pay them now or later, My contractor wishes He would have spent some $$$ instead of hireing an old "buddy" to save money. :shock: .
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

Hard to say on the price. A lot depends on local building codes and what has to be done to be in compliance. I would suggest a couple of things which will cost more. One is to make it a slanted roof and two is to make it a metal roof. I like theGalvaluminum, it is pricey, but will usually last around 40 years or more if done right. Fastened down with lag screws usually no less than one foot apart. Shingles or tar can be a pain, don't know what your climate is like, but here in Florida between the sun and rain, a tar and/or shingle is usually good for 10 years. A flat roof doesn't really do it for me. This is my own opinion after 30 plus years of messing with roofs. One other thing is be certain your roofer is really honest. A number of them overcharge for materials they manage to save for their own jobs and so on. Good luck in your qwest. ATB
Henry McCann
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Henry McCann »

Much depends on where you live and the competition for jobs. I just paid $4500 for a roofing job here in rural Montana that my brother-in-law in Seattle said would have cost me half that there.

Get some bids, check around. On my $4500 dollar job I also had a bid that was $2000 higher.
"Be kind and polite to everyone you meet; but have a plan on how to kill them." General Mattis
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Blaine,

My estimating software says around $350-360 / sq for 1/2" CDX ply and tourch down roofing removed and replaced. That's Cleveland pricing but it shouldn't be that much different out there.

If you can, look into a rubber roof. Much better than the torch down and without the fire hazard.

Call if you still have my number. IF not shoot me a PM with yours if you have any more questions.

jason 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Fri May 04, 2012 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Last roof I had done was back in 2006 after a brutal hail storm. The insurance company cut me a check based on their estimates, but after I got their money I got four bids and they varied greatly. I ended up getting a long time local company to do the job and they did it for 2 grand less than the insurance company estimate. Definately pays to shop around.
NRA Life Member
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

whatever project you do...you should get multiple bids
2ndovc comments sound about right....
single ply or built up...both are good....
but the built up should be cheaper...

when they relace the plywood make sure they put it down with the correct screw
or nail pattern for the wind load zones....I dont know what your wind loads are up there,
but its a big deal here in florida...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

My ex father in law in Phoenix had the flat roof on his townhouse redone with spray on urethane.
They didn't have to remove the old roofing to do it. I have no idea what it cost him.

This is one place in your area from a Google for spray foam roofing in WA:
http://www.acmeok.com/index.php?p=1_58_Washington
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Think they are ripping you off.
First the flashing stuff(just goes to saying its normal part of that type job) :roll: Also the eves----don't let them bullsh## you,with the hidden hangers it should take about 1.5hrs to put up those with downspouts.
Measure what you need and get them yourself at Lowes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mRJupJWcjE
Is the deck actually shot. Or is there just a couple small sections that have water damage.??
I would use (by all means)Rolled adhesive rubber membrane roofing.Extremely slick stuff and if the decking is even remotely decent that roofing goes down fast.(about 4hrs)for a 12X24(2 men working)
Example of such material cost,get it local no shipping!
http://www.simsupply.com/p-32190-15x25- ... 1303460415
I paid $1800 last year on our enclosed patio roof and they replaced 6 sheets of plywood(with plywood)I would note use wafer board for anything but shooting at.

The rubber roofing is awesome and can be applied to about a flat roof. (It should last as long as you.) :lol:

Watch this--------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmuJIL1v ... re=related

Guess what, if what you have now is sturdy enough you can walk on--- I will see if I can find the brand my BIL used.
With his they put this very thick waterproof pink adhesive down right over old roof(they pulled any lifted shingles/nails/edges etc. then waited 1 hr and put the rubber roof down in 2 hrs.(this was for a 20X12 carport)so far its been about 7 years(all is good)his was about $1000

http://www.youtube.com/user/rubberbond1

They can repair rubber easier too if someone shoots your roof etc. :lol:
Only thing better(have someone run firing strips over existing roof and put up metal)

The shingles (don't like em)(asphalt rolled roofing)hate it!
Last edited by madman4570 on Fri May 04, 2012 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Another reason I say the rubber membrane Blaine is before moving back up here,our other home was a big Victorian Home(It had one section where there was this huge channel section where 3 roof levels merged and channel big time water flow into a 6" Alcoa downspout.The house was actually 3 stories so this section was about 20ft up .House had 10ft ceilings.

It was the only part of the roof that had not been re-roofed within the last 5 years. Appeared to have been some type black asphalt rolled roofing etc.he said---that junk only lasts about 5 years.
Anyhow,the tar that was used to the seams and also the mineral topping was getting worn at seams and we started having a very small issue.

Contacted several well known roofers that came and gave us opinions and estimates.
The one that impressed me was a roofer with about 20years experience and explained what needs to happen is actually go up higher into the good shingles(install self adhesive rubber roof membrane(though he actually did use some type of other clear adhesive then reinstall 3 layers on new shingles over the top of rubber membrane.

He did this whole huge channel section (about 22ft wide by 16ft long)He said (I will warranty this job as long as I am in business and plan on working a long time ----he was 48 :shock:
He said (listen,I am telling you,you will have no more problems period)He said because of the massive amount of water this channel takes combined with ice/snow/freezing(this membrane is the only thing that will stand up for this type application)??
Also 2 out of the 3 other roofers suggested rubber membrane.(one wanted to try shingles)
He charged me $1250, it took him from 11am-4pm and he had 3 men working including him.Did it on a scorching sunny summer day.
And that was an Emergency(need to do right now)price

I am always talking to the new owners all the time(they love the home)and everything is perfect.
Last edited by madman4570 on Sat May 05, 2012 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Blaine,
Pm me if you like. I'm thinking it's steep. The plywood seems way off. You need a smidgen more than 3 sheets a square. 4 squares should be less than 13 sheets. Around here your looking at about 500 a square for he roofing and 50 to 75 a sheet for plywood. Somebody else mentioned rubber. If there's no traffic on it EPDM rubber is the cats meow IMO, though they do have other newer tuff now Im not familiar with. The big benefit is how it comes. Modified
( torch down) comes in 3 ft rolls o these alot f seams. Epdm comes in 20X or 10X rolls 50 or 100 foot long. It's relatively light so if your carport is less than 20X100 it can be one piece, no seams no leaks. No tar, no fire. Just intact cementand screws. You screw down an insulation board and lue to that.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

I hate typing on an I pod
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

This is all good stuff.....

The CDX out here must be lower...it's 17 a sheet now....The disposal is steep out here...Commercial dump fees are around $35 for the first 400lbs.... I'm getting at least three more bids, too. This board is always a good reality check :D :D
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Thats $50 a sheet installed bro. :wink: Dump fees are nuts here too. Most now have a $50 or $75 minimum and average $125 a ton. I'm constantly tossing a couple wheelbarrowfulls of stuff in my old bosses truck for $20 a pop. Its good not to burn bridges. 8)
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

M Goodness !! Dump minimum here is 400 lbs and $12.00 , $60 per ton. I dumped nearly 2 ton last week.
Perry
Ps , whats wrong with wafer, OSB on a roof underlayment ?
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

How long do you want it to last and how bad of shape is the old plywood and structural stuff ( decking ? steel or wood ? )
Also what is the root cause of why you need repair / replacement ?
That torchdown stuff is mostly pretty good . Some brands in their early years , had some bad compositions that shrunk over time and pulled the seams apart. I think they got that stuff figgered out. Not sure , but I had a few cheap coats from various mfg's that I think they gave out by the 1K square .
The rubber epdm stuff . My personal choice , as Long branch mentioned , most likely comes in a roll big enough to cover your roof in one piece . Fully adhered , new trim , good drainage = no worries. Just make SURE the epdm does not touch any asphalt. Rubber and asphalt products don't mix well at all when in contact with each other.
You also mentioned a tie-in with the roof , re-read the above last sentence :wink:
Been a decade or so , but did spend a bit of my life on the flat roofs. I'm sure tech has changed and improved since then but that is my very long winded 2 cents.
Phil
Topside
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Topside »

Blaine, I haven't read all responses to your post, and you asked about price which I'm not addressing, but I'll pass this on. Last roof I had put on my house I chose a "small operator" who had his brother and cousin as their "team". I wanted to give the small guy a shot. DISASTER. Cousin and brother couldn't/wouldn't show up. I had to go to Walmart at 2 in the morn and buy plastic to cover stuff in the attic cause they left me with only felt on the roof for a couple days.

Next time, I'll get the company with 20 guys who show up and do it in a day (reputable company that is).

Worst feeling in the world sitting in the family room knowing spring rain's pouring in the attic.

T.
"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast."
--Proverbs 12:10
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

+ 1 Topside, thats wat I was getting at in My post,Billy overslept,Bobby got the flu and on and on. tho it did keep my contractor busy fixing the mess they created. on HIS dime.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Blaine,
Go online and search each company, for complaints & reviews. You'll be surprised what comes up.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.