Your smoothest, most reliable gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Re: Your smoothest, most reliable gun

Post by getitdone1 »

Modoc ED wrote:1979 Manufactured Marlin 444S
Modoc ED,

Your picture of the old guy and the nurse is a dandy. Should have complimented you long ago.

Expect a few guys in this bunch would still hunt at that stage of "maturity." :D

Don
Henry McCann
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Henry McCann »

My Browning 71 and a Browning lever .22 of my dads. That .22 has had at least 10,000 rounds without the tiniest jam.
"Be kind and polite to everyone you meet; but have a plan on how to kill them." General Mattis
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Either the reeder custom .44 in my avatar or my colt SAA in 44 special with action job by Nutmeg sports. In rifle has to be my WWG marlin though my NKJ rossis was slicker. Shotgun, probably my Osborne side by side but the Webley is real close. The benelli M4 is kinda hard to judge on slickness. It is very good too.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

a lot of 92's here
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

It's a no-brainer for me - my wife gave me this "NIB, unfired, with manual" Winchester 95 in 30-06 for our 25th anniversary seven years ago (OK - so I did "help" her find it - husbands are obligated to help wives any way we can - besides, after a number of years, getting each other something different every year gets harder without the other's help)

Shoots under one MOA also - I zeroed sights to POA at 25 yards and 2" above POA at 100 yards - fist rest on range table -

All she got was this little ring and she's convinced she got the best of the deal -

Women - gotta love'em - that was seven years ago day after tomorrow
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

My Henry Golden Boy. Sweet!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Old Ironsights wrote:My NKJ slicked-up Rossi 92.
+1 Hands-down, my smoothest rifle. :D
93marshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 93marshooter »

These two Marlin rifles are very smooth and accurate. These are separated by 30 years. Image
The top two are really smooth and accurate.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

OJ wrote:It's a no-brainer for me - my wife gave me this "NIB, unfired, with manual" Winchester 95 in 30-06 for our 25th anniversary seven years ago (OK - so I did "help" her find it - husbands are obligated to help wives any way we can - besides, after a number of years, getting each other something different every year gets harder without the other's help)

Shoots under one MOA also - I zeroed sights to POA at 25 yards and 2" above POA at 100 yards - fist rest on range table -

All she got was this little ring and she's convinced she got the best of the deal -

Women - gotta love'em - that was seven years ago day after tomorrow
Thats real nice to read OJ :D

This ones pretty slick :D

Rammer seems to just slide in n' out again and again :lol:

Levers, turn bolts and do hickies'. Don't know what all the fuss is over :lol:

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Well, I love my 9422 and it is slick, but my $239 Henry lever carbine is smoother. In pistoles it is my USFA Rodeo II, with an action job by Longhunter. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

After careful consideration it is my 10-22. That thing has fed thousands of rounds for decades without a single misfire I can remember. I slicked it up when new and keep it lightly oiled and clean my mag occasionaly. The bolt block slides like a teflon hockey puck when cocking.

Second choice is my 444. It is not super slick just well broke in but first choice for a real fight with a grizzly for reliability. Third choice is the minty Lee Enfield Jungle Carbine, real slick and reliable. It is amazing how slick that club is and the reliability was worked out in the mud of France many years ago.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

It's a toss up between my 9422 and 9422mag.

Both are buttery smooth in function and cannot be surpassed in reliability.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Rifle: my 9422M, hands down... A little judicious stoning, here and there, makes everything slip and slide beautifully.. This one didn't start out all that smooth, but took a bit of work to get it to its present state.. Plus --- it shoots as good as it feels..
A close second would be a Uberti '73, from Taylor's, in .45 Colt. This rifle had a 14# Plus trigger pull when brand new... Ugh..!!! Now it lets go at 3#...

Shotgun: an early TTN replica of the 1878 Colt Double.. Not bad as it came from the factory, but again, a lick (or a few) with file and stone made it run almost effortlessly, and it is still tight and solid, even after a good number of heavy 3" or 3 1/2" loads.. It will not close or lock up completely on a cigarette paper (0.001" thick) between the barrels and the standing breech, but has proved utterly reliable in the field.

Handgun: my Very Early Beretta Stampede (SN B000XX.) It is a 7 1/2", plain-vanilla model, and was very tight and smooth, right out of the box.. I didn't do a thing to it, for years, except to shoot it a lot, and put a set of handmade one-piece walnut grips on it.. Recently, I got out the swiss files and the arkansas stones, and in short order, turned it into the smoothest, slickest SA revolver I have had the pleasure to handle.. After 1000s of rounds of heavy .45 Colt ammo, it still has no perceptible end-shake, and lock up as tight as ever.. No wiggle at all...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Good morning
Have two 1892 44/40's SRC's that have worked as nice as can be without any problems since I bought them. Got the 1893 (27,xxx) about 10 years ago and the 1908 (471xxx) about 5 years ago. Last year bought a 1910 vintage (553xxx) that is terrible but getting better with adjustments.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Shatterhand »

Winchester 88 in 208W from 1971 - it can't be much smoother and slicker than so.

F.
Winchester model 88 .308 WCF
Winchester model 71 .348 WCF
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

My 4" S&W M&P 5 screw .38 Special followed by my 5 1/2" Colt SAA .45

rick
zoner
Levergunner 1.0

Post by zoner »

smoothest,slickest rifle is my 1942 M94 Winchester and the handgun would be my Smith and Wesson Model 15-3 4" 38 special
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

I sure am glad Winchester wised up and stop making those complicated 9422's...

Clearly more trouble than they were worth with all the complaints here.

Marketing Dept.
dogngun
Levergunner 1.0

Post by dogngun »

A sporterized long before I got it-probably in the 1960'- Spanish 98 Mauser action, with a new US commercial sporter barrel in .308 Win.
Has a jeweled bolt, bent for a scope. I put in a TImney sportsmen trigger and an old Redfield 2x7 scope on steel mounts, put it all in a plastic stock of some sort.
Including the rifle itself, I think I have about maybe $400 in it.

mark
The GOP/teabag party - Anti American AND stupid.
flyfisher66048
Levergunner 1.0

Post by flyfisher66048 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:My NKJ slicked-up Rossi 92.
+1 Hands-down, my smoothest rifle. :D

I'll add another vote for a NKJ slicked up 92. Mine is in 357 with a 16 barrel. Without a doubt my favorite rifle.

Smoothest bolt action sauer 80 in 243.

Smoothest shotgun krieghof 32

Smoothest pistol Glock 19.

Smoothest revolver slicked up smith 66
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

It's not even a levergun. It my Browning Semi-Auto .22. Nothing fancy, just a plain jane (well none of them are really plain are they) grade 1. But for fast handling, smooth running, and accurate, I don't have anything that can compare.

Now, I'm a .22 semi-auto rifle fanatic. I have several, well several severals. :wink: But of all those, and my centerfire rifles and other action types of .22's, this one is hands down the best.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

Lever, my 1903 Win 92 Octagonal barrel full mag in 38/40.

Revolver. without doubt my Colt Python 1973 4 inch. Closely followed by my Colt SAA 3rd gen 2008 build 45 with slicked action.
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
jens5
Levergunner

Post by jens5 »

For a rifle's it would be my CZ FS .22lr. Continues to amaze.
Pre-64 Winchester 30.06 Featherweight.
Handgun, my Leas Baer 1911 .45acp. 8000+ rounds with one failure to feed.( i missed crimping the round). Just like Mikey, eats anything.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Uberti 1873. I have 3 of them, and they are hands down the smoothest lever guns I own. :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

My smoothest by far is this antique Savage FOX 16 gauge which had been Grandad's favorite as well. Yes, it is operated by a lever.

TR

Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!