Sub 4" handguns...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Sub 4" handguns...

Post by 4t5 »

I was fondling a new S&W shield the other day,it was selling for msrp (449) ,so I put it back.
Now with time on my hands ,I got to wondering what small handgun seems to be the most user friendly(accurate),so the question is, which do YOU shoot the best,auto or revolver I don't care,THANKS
Rumble.com/ hickock45
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Sub 4" handguns...

Post by jeepnik »

I'm likely a bit better with SA autos than anything else. But, I prefer to carry revolvers. When it get's to short barreled handguns, I look that them as self-defense firearms. At the "expected" range (whatever that mythical number is) I'm likely as good with a wheel gun as I am with an auto.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

I am better with a small revolver than with a small auto pistol. I have a lot more time on the revolvers though. I have been trying to find a small automatic that really fits me good, still trying them out.

I had a chance to shoot a Taurus PT 111 last weekend, as well as a Glock 26. Both pretty nice little pistols.

Kevin
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Commander length 1911 (OK, it's 4.25" but who's going to quibble over a silly little .25"? :lol: ), Glock 19.

I love J Frame Smiths, but they do not fit my hand at all. I've tried several, even tried one with a Tyler T-Grip but there just wasn't enough meat for me to hang on to. My problem with the short barrel K and L frames (or Rugers) is in order to get a grip that fits my hand I end up with a revolver that's too big for me to conceal comfortably.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Thanks guys,
AWP,I have a mod.60 smith with a 3" tube,and I love shooting it,a 686 with a 2 1/2" tube,awfull big even with a short barrel.I was looking at a 4"m&p for a range gun and ran into the SHIELD,thought it was nice,but wondering how accurate it would let me be.Truth be told I don't wan't larger than a 4" in anything,I don't have very lg hands.I have 41's and 44's but they're no good for long range sessions.
Was hoping there was one small gun that seemed easier to shoot than the rest.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

For small I like the 3 inch barrels (a lot) the Model 60 in 3 in shoots as well as my 4in 686 and gets carried a lot outdoors. For people self-defense I like the mid-size Glock in .357 Sig at 50 meters you can keep the whole mag in the head of the B-21 if you do your part.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
1894c

Post by 1894c »

duty BUG, either a Glock 26 or 27 or i have been recently carrying a Ruger LCR-357...my old standby is a S&W Model 638... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

IMHO a S&W J frame is the only way to fly.

I have been thinking of looking at an SP-101 though.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Rusty wrote:IMHO a S&W J frame is the only way to fly.

I have been thinking of looking at an SP-101 though.
I own a SP-101 2 1/4" bbl., it weighs 25 ozs and it is built like a tank. I have used the SP as a BUG (pocket carry), but have relegated it as my wood's loafing, deer hunting side-arm. I shoot it allot mostly .357 mags, snappy, but accurate. The SP-101 also comes with a bobbed hammer. I've owned and carried the J-frame for years it's a great choice as a snub (many LEO's like the 642), but lately my snub of choice is the LCR-357...the trigger pull is amazing the best I have ever seen... :)
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I've never had much luck with the small autos. My dad has an LCP and loves it but for me the only way to go is a sixgun. I like my 2.5" Model 19 as it's quite easy to shoot yet reasonably concealable but occasionally the 642 gets slipped into my pocket.

Eric
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Have two variables for correct answer.

What type firing condition ??---- slow/or rapid fire??
What distance ??----15ft or 50ft??

For myself just to set a target up,turn back around take 10 paces pull weapon while spinning back around aim and fire and empty the gun (best group/and also fastest)

Kel-Tec P32 loaded with Grizzly Extremes

Now, for ease of carry------dare find one that will beat the 6oz P32
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

336BL wrote:I own a SP-101 2 1/4" bbl., it weighs 25 ozs and it is built like a tank. I have used the SP as a BUG (pocket carry), but have relegated it as my wood's loafing, deer hunting side-arm. I shoot it allot mostly .357 mags, snappy, but accurate. ..
I'm with ya, but I solved the "snappy" issue by running exclusively 180gr loads through mine. My GP carry load is the Federal Premium 180gr SJHP which seems to perform adequately.

My BUG is a NAA Guardian in .32acp. I regularly annoy guys at shooting events by hitting the 25yd pepper popper 5+ out of 7 shots...

Otherwise for autos I prefer a 4" slide on a compact frame.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

Given your specifications I like S&W J-frames for CCW or perhaps the occasional Glock 26. If I am not in CCW mode I always go for a 4" 44 mag of some sort. Bigger is better sometimes.
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have Ruger SP101`s in 3" .357 and 2 1/4" .38
Also a Security Six .357 with 2 1/4" barrel. The
Security Six is amazingly accurate. From a rest it will out shoot my buddy`s Dan Wesson 8" .357 at 25 to 50yd.
and has on several occasions. Using hollow base wadcutter target loads it shoots like a good .22 . :wink:

Heavy loads in the little SP101`s are a hand full but they are also very accurate ,way more accurate than I ever expected.
:wink:
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:...Heavy loads in the little SP101`s are a hand full but they are also very accurate ,way more accurate than I ever expected. :wink:
Way more accurate than light/fast/"snappy" loads IMO.

Plus, unlike any other snubby made I'm not afraid to shoot my "heavy" .357s out of the SP101. I think a 180+gr WFN @1200fps from a 2" tube is pretty good... :twisted:

I used to carry a G27 quite a lot, but if I had my way in Glocks it would be a G23 cut down to a G27 grip length.

I just carry short grips & midlength barrels better than Long/long or short/short.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

I like my short barreled revolvers. I used to shoot IDPA with a 3 inch 686. Currently my fororite carry peice is a S-W 627 PC with a 2 5/8 inch tube. I shot a police qualifier course with that a few weeks ago and shot a 470 out of a possible 500. The short barrels are a good way to go but ya might want to consider some extra practice. That 627 is an 8 shooter with moon clips and that's a hech of a good set up. I usually shoot 38+P's but with the weight of a N Frame it handles the 357 mags pretty easy. The factory grips are too short and very narrow. I'd call them good kindling for a summer fire but I will keep them setting on a shelf.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Blaine and I plinked some with my daughter's 640. 185gr cast bullets that make 1724 fps from the 16" Winnie.

We had no trouble hitting a couple of steel gongs from bow shooting range. What was the distance Blaine, do you remember? Dead deer from a snubbie. Recoil was no bother. When I was first coaching daughter we got frozen into an anchorage on a hunting trip and for entertainment, er training purposes we bounced cans around on the ice with 38 spl. It's amazing how far away the can can get and still not be out of the lethal zone.

But as to carry,

I like ankle location for BUGs, and the revolvers are painful. I can carry my XD9 SC all day with more than twice the ammo on tap, 11 rounds vs 5, with no discomfort.

I can conceal a 45 with less discomfort than a revolver. I can shoot my 4" 45 the same as my 5" one, and my 3.5" 9, so I don't think barrel length is an inhibitor to accuracy within the context of the designs.

I would not hesitate to kill a deer with a snubbie at snubbie ranges, if I was hungry.
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

Count me in for Ruger SP101. I have a 3" 357 that is a gun I refuse to part with. I agree also with the fact mine likes 158 grain or larger bullets.

Have fun. Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
smithrws
Levergunner

Post by smithrws »

I usuall just read but this thread has been my thing the last year. My Kimber Ultra is very shootable as is my sr40c both are excellent
smithrws
Levergunner

Post by smithrws »

The S&W mod 27 3.5 in is unbeatable !!!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Currently a Kimber solo CDP. about same size as a Kahr PM9.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot