disgusted

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
93marshooter
Levergunner 2.0

disgusted

Post by 93marshooter »

I am disgusted. I brought a .336 marlin 30-30 from a pawn shop. It would not work. It failed to fire. It would load and chamber but not fire. Maybe the firing pin or other bolt issues. Any of you have a suggestion how to deal with this?AT the range I hit the 300 yard gong with my 1932 Marlin 93 30-30 with iron sights. It mostly was a good day at the range.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Re: disgusted

Post by wecsoger »

I'd love to lay my paws on that one to troubleshoot it.

I'm assuming (ahem) that when you pull the trigger the hammer falls, etc. Were you seeing any indentations on the primers, or none at all?

First thing I'd do is pull the bolt and give it a severe cleaning.

Possible problems: broken firing pin, broken tip off the firing pin, excessive previous oiling of the bolt which has turned into varnish inside the firing pin channel.

Please report back soonest.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

All of the above.That is one of the problems of buying used, never know what Your going to get. But there arent too many things that can go wrong as far as parts. Worst case scenario is a broken firing Pin in My mind.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Hope it resolves. I bought a 94 winchester deluxe and went to range only to find it didn't have a firing pin in it. Previous owner had taken them out of all his guns. Another, an 1873 trapdoor had a broken firing pin. Only two problems I have had in used firearm purchases concerning fire pins. Good luck
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

You guys do it the hard way :lol:

I take them to my gunsmith buddy who does all my fixes for free and I ask him to fix it and TELL him not to HURT IT :wink:

99.5% of the time I get them back the way I asked 8)
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I AM my gunsmith............... :roll:

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Pete44ru wrote:I AM my gunsmith............... :roll:

Why would I even care to bother when I'm in that shop 4 days a week anyway !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

93marshooter

Marlins are easy. Besides everything that's been said above, when you pull the bolt check the rear firing pin and the rear of the front firing pin for battering.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

6pt-sika wrote:
Pete44ru wrote:I AM my gunsmith............... :roll:

Why would I even care to bother when I'm in that shop 4 days a week anyway !

I am my own gunsmith, as well. As for shops, we don't have any. there are a couple of retailers within an hour drive but NO gunsmiths.
93marshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 93marshooter »

I bet it's the firing pin one way or another. I can replace that my self I think. If I can find one.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

93marshooter wrote:I bet it's the firing pin one way or another. I can replace that my self I think. If I can find one.
Buy a copy of J.B, Wood's Gun Digest Book of Assembly/Disassembly Part IV: Centerfire Rifles. I have the complete set of his books and you can definitely replace your own firing pin.

If you can't find the book, or don't want to buy one, PM me and I will e-mail you a scan of the 336 section on Monday.
93marshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 93marshooter »

damienph, Thanks I will get that email to you on Monday.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

You can get a firing pin at Numrichs or Gunbroker has used ones listed under Marlin 336 in the small parts section. If your Gun has a crossbolt safety that could be another "problem" spot. My nephew had his not working properly, and would not fire when safety was pushed to the fire position. He took it out, and re-installed it. Works good now. Check to see if your hammer is falling completely down when fired. Good Luck
93marshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 93marshooter »

The hammer is falling. There is no dent in primers. there is a firing pin visible. I have not tried to disassemble rifle yet. I read that there is a new and old style pin. The rifle has a safety and is a new style rifle one of the last good looking rifles from Marlin pre- Rem. I really want it to work.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Is the cross-bolt safety in the fire position? :)
93marshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 93marshooter »

Yes with cross bolt safety in firing position rifle will not function but hammer works properly
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

All the pawnshops I deal with guarentee the rifle to at least fire and function properly! I would at least notifiy them and see what they are willing to do on a refund.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

Mostly these come in with the tip of the firing pin broken off. The new pins are $15.00 from Brownell's.
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

93marshooter,

Look at our Jim Taylor's article on the one-piece firing pin for the Marlin 1894:

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/onepiece.htm

The article explains taking apart the breechbolt & firing pin. It may help you.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

When I first got my model 36 through Gunbroker it came with a busted firing pin, They are cheap at Numrich Arms, and easy to replace, same with a 336 I used to own (and wish I kept).
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

I AM my gunsmith...............

Calling myself a gunsmith seems a little too self-important, but I do have a kitchen table to work off of. (grin)
Dan 444
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dan 444 »

If you haven't already, go to Marlinowners.com. They have an extensive reference section that contains all the info you need for 336 maintenance.

Dan
93marshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 93marshooter »

Midway has firing pins for Marlin rifles. I will take this bolt apart maybe the parts are good. I hope it is just some "gunk" in the bolt. Thanks to all of you who made suggestions.
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

You may also want to look at your hammer spring.
93marshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 93marshooter »

Thanks I will check out the hammer spring.
93marshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 93marshooter »

Well I took the rifle to a gun smith who diagnosed the problem as a bent finger lever. seeing no handling or tool marks to indicate after factory damage, I am guessing that it was sent from factory in this shape. The photo show my old "Revelation" next to this new Marlin. The repaired lever does not fit as well along the grip curve. There is a noticeable gap. the lever as I received it had and has oxidation scales on the upper lever like you see in a forge project that is to hot. I think this rifle never fired a shot until the smith put two test rounds through it. It functions now. If I were to buy another hand lever is it a drop in part or does it require a smith to fit it?
I'm still discussed but the rifle works. It is a genuine pre Rem Marlin.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

The gunsmith should have tweaked that lever down to match the contour of the grip. They bend without much effort and I assume he bent it down becasue the sear disconnect wasn't getting depressed, which stopped the firing pin from moving forward. Problem is he went a bit over to make it work, and should be returned slightly to fit better.
I'd just take it back and point out the problem with fit. He should be able to do it in a few seconds while you wait.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
93marshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 93marshooter »

I took matters into my own hands. With a wooden mallet and some care and time I ended with the finger lever as you see it.
There is a small problem at the lower part of the finger lever with a small bend that needs further straightening. If I need it perfect I will order another part.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Such a problem is one reason I really like the Marlin vs. Winchester design. I know that someone more skilled than me can do kitchen-table gunsmithing on a Winnie and fix about anything, but when I take one apart, I'm lucky to get it back together, let alone actually 'fix' anything... :oops:

For me at least, working on a Rossi 92 is like working on a wristwatch, vs. working on a Marlin 94 being more like working on a bicycle.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "