35 Rem Range report

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

35 Rem Range report

Post by Bigahh »

Been wanting to work on a load for my new to me Marlin 336 in 35 Rem. Its an older (1981) RC model that I mounted a 1.75-6 Leupold VX3 on. I bought a F1 Shooting Chronny and this past weekend put everything through the Mill up at my cabin for 3 days. Maybe this info can help you decide on a load for your 35 if you are in the need of one, but please remember that most of these loads are book max or above, so to be safe reduce by 5 grains to start. I tested many powders, and plan on refining the ones I like. All loads were with the Remington RNCL Bullet and winchester LR primers, and Win cases. The 1 powder I did not try, but will as soon as I can find it is Leverevolution along with hornady Flex tip bullets. Hope this info can help some of you get started.

Accurate Arms 2520-This powder gave me the most velocity overall. I got 2225 FPS with 40.5 grains, and an average of a 2" group. I plan on testing this powder further. Maybe I can settle on around 2100 FPS with better accuracy. This powder is one I will be looking deeper at for sure.

IMR 3031- 37 grains started showing pressure signs of flattened primers with an average of 2020 FPS. Good accuracy at just under 2"

H335- 39 Grains is very accurate for me at 1.5 inches with 2050 FPS. I really like this load. Shot a 5 shot group with the same shell. Only neck sized using the lee Collet Die. The 5th time the shell was tight. Will need Full length sizing.

H4895- Hobie put me on this powder, and my testing is not complete yet. 39 grains was as far as I pushed it. My groups were just over 2" but were shrinking as I went up. I got 2090 FPS, and Im sure I can safely get 40 grains and a much more accurate load with this powder. Book max is 39.1 in the Hornady manual. This is another powder I will keep trying.

IMR4064- 39.5 grains pretty much duplicates the core lockt factory load for me with accuracy and speed. 2080 FPS and just under 2 inches. I have not tried factory loads yet, but this is exactly what they claim for speed.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 35 Rem Range report

Post by earlmck »

Another worthy candidate for your trials, Bigahh is RL10x. 35 grains gave me 2130 fps and best accuracy in a twin to your Marlin. I went on up to 36.5 grains but accuracy was dropping off. I'm using the 200 gr. Hornady.

When you try LVR, I had mediocre results until I used the Lee FC die to apply a very firm crimp. Doing this was the key to better load uniformity and accuracy with this powder. My go-to load for several 35 Rems is now 47 grains of LVR, CCI 200 primer, R-P case, 200 Hornady R.N. (same profile as the Remington bullet). This gives 2280 fps in the Remington 141 I chronod it in. I haven't yet chronod it in the Marlin 336 but that rifle has given equal or better velocities to the Remington in other loads where I chronod both rifles with the same load.

I'm sure this load is pushing upper pressure limits, but LVR just didn't give me accuracy until I compressed powder somewhat and gave it that firm crimp.

I'll be interested in your coming range reports on the 35. Fun to play with!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

earlmck wrote:Another worthy candidate for your trials, Bigahh is RL10x. 35 grains gave me 2130 fps and best accuracy in a twin to your Marlin !

Thanks Earl, I will see if I can find some. Sounds like a good candidate !
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I think that was about the same results I got with 4064. I used 39.0 grains. Factory equivalent is all I wanted out of it. I also found that Rem 200 gr factory shot into about .8". Got some of that from a friend who sold his and it is all I want for that rifle.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Dan 444
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dan 444 »

I have two 336 35Rem's and shoot cast lead in one and the Hornady 200g RN in the other. My most accurate load with the Hornady is H4895/37.0g. On a good day, 5 shots, scoped......at 50 yards about a 1" group.......at 100 yards about a 1.75" group.

Best,
Dan
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I am using 200 gr CL, 38.5gr H4895 and CCI 200 primer, Rem cases and using LFCD. My rifles are REM MOD 8 (22") and REM 141 (22"). Both rifles will keep 5 shots under 2" from the bench at 100 yds. Velocity in Mod 8 is 2060 fps and 141 gives 2100 fps.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

I like Winchester 748 with the 200 gr Remington Coreloct in my 35 Remington, when I'm shooting jacketed bullets. 38.0 grains and a WLR primer. With the RCBS 200 gr cast bullet I find the 21.0 gr of Accurate 5744 works pretty well for me.