New Win. 94's for under $400??? Is that a typo?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

New Win. 94's for under $400??? Is that a typo?

Post by kaschi »

I just was looking at Winchester's lineup for 2012 on their website and saw they had a lot of different 94 variations. What caught my eye was the fact that, for example, their Trapper had a MSRP of $470. Several other 94 variants were also in that price range as well.

So, are all of these made in Japan or in the USA? Those seem like pretty low prices to be made overseas.

As most know, these all have the angle eject, rebounding hammer, and tang safety. Their description says: "The top tang safety brings back the original look of the classic Model 94." :lol: :lol: :lol: That wasn't what I was thinking when I read "original look".
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: New Win. 94's for under $400??? Is that a typo?

Post by J Miller »

What web site are you looking at?
I just went to the Winchester rifles web site:
www.winchester-guns.com and the cheapest one was $1299.00.
There also were no Trappers listed.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

12-1500 is what I'm seeing....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

kaschi wrote:I just was looking at Winchester's lineup for 2012 on their website and saw they had a lot of different 94 variations. What caught my eye was the fact that, for example, their Trapper had a MSRP of $470. Several other 94 variants were also in that price range as well.
So, are all of these made in Japan or in the USA? Those seem like pretty low prices to be made overseas.

Link ?

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Pete44ru wrote:
kaschi wrote:I just was looking at Winchester's lineup for 2012 on their website and saw they had a lot of different 94 variations. What caught my eye was the fact that, for example, their Trapper had a MSRP of $470. Several other 94 variants were also in that price range as well.

Link ?

x2 --- where does the line start for new $470 Trappers ? :lol:
----- Doug
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Maybe MSRP of $1470?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'd rather get an older one with no safety and a proper trigger/hammer. 8) That '51 I got from Pokey is just about starting to get broke in real good :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

$470 is over $400 anyway aint it? :P A link would be great, I dont look much but last I did 12 to 14 hundred was what I recall.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I just looked too :| , short rifle, sporter, and trails end takedown were all i saw , a 1200 + .

But aside from that, i noticed the Trails End TD was available in .450 Marlin as a new chambering ---- looks like a pretty cool brush buster.

Brand new Model 71's in there as new products too for those that like short magazine tubes :roll:
----- Doug
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

kaschi,

You are making these people squrim, and question your sanity. :D :o You have been looking at Winchester's "Historical" section:

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/ ... &offset=-1

Here is the "$470.00" Trapper:

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/ ... mid=534094

For the record, Winchester's 2012 catalog is not yet available:

http://www.winchesterguns.com/customers ... wnload.asp

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

I would bet some Arteries were slightly unclogged from fast moving blood if nothing else. :mrgreen:
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Remember, Kaschi is the guy that thinks that the Ruger RSI stock looks like a porch pillar... :P
ving-thorr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ving-thorr »

If only. If I had known those trails end guns for 470 really were going to be the trails end, I would have snatched up a 38-55 and 25-35 .
:cry:
The LORD is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the defense of my life; Whom shall I dread?
Psalms 27:1
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Hagler wrote:kaschi,

You are making these people squrim, and question your sanity. :D :o You have been looking at Winchester's "Historical" section:

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/ ... &offset=-1

Here is the "$470.00" Trapper:

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/ ... mid=534094

For the record, Winchester's 2012 catalog is not yet available:

http://www.winchesterguns.com/customers ... wnload.asp

Shawn

Pretty sure those links are just for Historic Reflection. Just to look back and see what they went for then. Not prices for actual new made guns.

Correct me if im wrong.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Last edited by madman4570 on Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Hagler's right. I didn't even notice that! I saw those ones in the $1400 range and then couldn't understand why they had others in the $400 range. Yeah, I know that $470 isn't $400 as someone diligently noted (and pointed out) but IF a MSRP is $470, I'd think that about $400 would be the "real price". There were other 94's there that were under $400, though if I'm not mistaken.

I guess the reason I did not see that these were older prices is because there was something on the right side of the website indicating how to obtain a 2012 Winchester catalog. I just assumed it was current. Those prices dazzled and blinded me so much that everything else except the price went totally unnoticed.

Sorry about that one boys!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

yep your right in thinking what he means is $470 msrp minus mark down to retail.
Last edited by madman4570 on Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQjItekLBsw

You have to be absolutely nuts to buy one of those.
What the he## are they thinking????????
Guess they want to go bankrupt?????????
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

madman4570 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQjItekLBsw

You have to be absolutely nuts to buy one of those.
What the he## are they thinking????????
Guess they want to go bankrupt?????????
I understood the guy to say it has a tang safety in addition to the half-cock safety. These aren't the rebounding hammer types?
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Junk. Spend your money on a pre-war '94. :|
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Can't afford either one, just wondering about the action. :)
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

I kinda like that case colored 92 they catalog. Not sure but it looks to have a barrel band up front with an oct barrel, other than that its a rifle config. A carbifle?
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Leverdude wrote:I kinda like that case colored 92 they catalog. Not sure but it looks to have a barrel band up front with an oct barrel, other than that its a rifle config. A carbifle?
I noticed that too--a band over an octagonal barrel versus the hanger further back--odd. The "new" Winchester seems to have a way of goofing (if it's that) on configurations--if intending to be odes to "original." Mixmaster approach. Look over at the 92s. Their Trapper is a short-short rifle. Octagonal 16", rifle forend, no carbine bands, sharp crescent rifle butt (The Chiappas--Cimarron etc--doing the same)--with a pistol grip!! In the 92's case at least it looks like you could easily make a proper Trapper up by swapping in a regular lever (if they'd do it or you after the fact) on their 16" round-barreled/banded gun with the large loop--voila....or leave it as is if the large loop fancies of course (it doesn't to me in 16" configuration). It even has a good ol' proper Pre War carbine/trapper ladder sight.
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

I'll be very interested to see how long they stay in business "this time" with those prices...

I can't imagine who will buy them...
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

several years ago I bought a 94 Ranger .357 with all the stuff everyone hates from Big5 for $300 and change..... passed up the .44 for the same price.... 'cause, you know, I didn't foresee the 1200$ price tag coming. life's lessons sink in slowly...

for all the stuff everyone hates the thing shoots like a dream, easy 100 yard plinker and accurate with everything I've tried in it. Kills 100 meter rams flat. loves the 124gr store bought and the 185gr hard cast equally.

the price difference reflects what the tyrants have done to our economy in the few intervening years. it's a reflection of the devaluation of the dollar perpetrated by the overclass....

it also means that I can never trade, sell, or barter that rifle away..... Heh it's worth way more than the money that is printed these days..
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

$1200 verses $400 for a Marlin :lol:
Guess who is going to be busy??????
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

The new Non-Winchester 94s should be $299, tops. They are loose pieces of junk with the world's worst triggers, not to mention the other lawyer induced devices.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

@ claybob86: I went to your youtube link and listened to what he said. I'll bet though that it still does have the rebounding hammer (unless they put in a half cock safety which I doubt). The speaker also said it was top eject but if you look closely, you'll see that it really is an angle eject. I think the speaker didn't know what he was talking about (at least on the top eject aspect).

Last year I wrote one of the Winchester guys, Glenn Hatt, after having seen another youtube clip from SHOT 2011 in which he was showing some Winchesters. I told him that I, like many other lever guys at leverguns.com, want ORIGINAL style 94 rifles and carbines: top eject, no tang safety, no rebounding hammer, period. He answered and said that he too likes ORIGINAL style guns. So I wrote him back and said: "THEN DO IT!!! Because right now they are too expensive and people aren't getting what they want, especially for four figures. For that reason you will not sell many." Of course, I never got response to that one.....
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

kaschi, I think you're right. All their other levers are rebounders as far as I know. I don't think that stuff's going away. If they take all the lawyer junk off, they would probably be in a bad liability situation in the event of an accident. It would be argued that they had removed industry standard safety features and by doing so, endangering the public, etc. :evil:
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

claybob86 wrote:kaschi, I think you're right. All their other levers are rebounders as far as I know. I don't think that stuff's going away. If they take all the lawyer junk off, they would probably be in a bad liability situation in the event of an accident. It would be argued that they had removed industry standard safety features and by doing so, endangering the public, etc. :evil:
apperently uberti....along with cimarron, taylors & co, stoeger emf etc. etc.
dont believe theres a problem with using the original design.....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Yes, but I don't think they ever used that stuff in the first place, did they? Seems like that would make a difference, liability-wise.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

I could live with a tang safety if the hammer had half cock. I'm not sure I buy the idea that liability is worse if you change back. It would be easy to argue that Henry, Cimmeron, Uberti etc were negligent since most other lever gun makers use an extra safety. I think its an answer to a non existent problem and am amazed nobody just placed a transfer bar in the action like Ruger did with its single actions when faced with a lawsuit for making their guns like the others guys guns. Trasfer bar seems like the best way to make everyone happy.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Mike D. wrote:The new Non-Winchester 94s should be $299, tops. They are loose pieces of junk with the world's worst triggers, not to mention the other lawyer induced devices.
:lol: :shock:
You tell em Mike!

Hey Mike, you know another thing that is kludged?
From the new M70's I have seen their safeties are very light to switch between the 3 stages.(actually I have an older supreme grade that is like that)They actually went too far making it smoooooth.
Absolutely Hate it.(dangerous as he##)hey I tout one on my back like anyone else,and will you pull er off your shoulder numerous times and it's tripped to fire)bad deal.In fact I have been sitting on a ground blind indian style reached to grab the binoc's and wham coat sleeve just barely brushed it and look back down she is OFF safe.
the new ones I have seen are like that(can't imagine some younger hunter with it :shock: or even any hunter/shooter)

Probably shouldn't even tell you guys this,couple years ago carrying mine(7MM Mag)Model 70 remember we have tons of bears.
Get on the enclosed patio check gun(gun loaded/safety ON)Its Dark(there are bears??? go up the mountain carrying gun.not on back
climb up this steep bank(being very careful)grabbing trees working my way up,finally get set behind this huge oak 3/4 up overlooking a ravine sit down look(safety OFF) :shock:

Honestly---------------don't like them safeties :twisted:
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

claybob86 wrote:kaschi, I think you're right. All their other levers are rebounders as far as I know. I don't think that stuff's going away. If they take all the lawyer junk off, they would probably be in a bad liability situation in the event of an accident. It would be argued that they had removed industry standard safety features and by doing so, endangering the public, etc. :evil:

Works for Glock --- and Glock has tons more public exposure as far as potential liability with all the LEO's using them ---of course they say there are multiple "built-in" safeties -- but everyone who uses them knows better. My little Henry .22 has no external safety either

Personally, i have no beef with the levergun safeties from a mechanical standpoint. I like them in fact. :shock: :shock: -- example - 1 mile hike to the stand at dawn during hunting season, the rifle is chambered and ready to go in case anything worthwhile crosses my path during the walk -- but when i get there, i flick the safety on, sling the rifle, and take my position -- once in position, safety off, and i wait --- simple

The rebounding hammer is another story i gather, but after a decade of shooting military rifles with heavy triggers, - even the worst levergun trigger in my stable is tolerable
----- Doug
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

I've been blessed with several '94s in the older style. Not before the war but a far bit before all the lawyer junk. And they do shoot at my aim. I really like the '94s and I have a Rossi '92 copy. .30.30 & .357 . Then my lovely young wife bought a beautiful '94 Marlin out from under me. Dang't !( But I still shoot it ! ) It's a .357 also. So we arn't really hurting . Just could use more funds to buy more guns to shoot more and buy more,,,,,,,,,

.........................................Mutt
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Those are not in production...read the fine print in the specs
that is an ammended 2009 catalog page...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS