I finally got a pre-64 Winchester Model 94 w/pics

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hanz
Levergunner

I finally got a pre-64 Winchester Model 94 w/pics

Post by Hanz »

Too bad it was rusted shut. :shock:

Tis a shame. It was made in 1952. 48 hours in Kroil, a mallet and brass punch convinced her to open up. It would probably still work but I think I'm going to let this sleeping dog lie up on my wall. It will have me so worried about rust the rest of the guns will be gleaming. I would never want to be responsible for something like that.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

That's low down dirty shame. :cry:
Last Spike
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Last Spike »

If you're planning to refurbish it to shooting status, this would be a good candidate.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Hanz,

Keep soaking it, use some heat and work with the screws. Get it apart.

Clean and derust everything. If the chamber and bore and action isn't in bad shape it will work.

At least ... that's what I'd do.

This gun was made in the same year as me. And for a change, I think I might be in better shape than it is. oops:

Joe
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

J Miller wrote:Hanz,
Keep soaking it, use some heat and work with the screws. Get it apart.
Clean and derust everything. If the chamber and bore and action isn't in bad shape it will work.
At least ... that's what I'd do.
Me too. I've got one as bad I'm going to rebuild:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

How in the world can that happen? Is it a barn gun, or stored in a barrel of water? Sheesh!
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

How in the world can that happen?
One spring I took some high school geology students on a field trip and one of them found a Marlin semi-auto 22 leaning against a rock (surrounded by beer cans). It had been there long enough that there was no finish left on the wood and a pretty good dusting of scale rust on the metal, but this was desert country. The aluminum receiver was ok and the bolt would slide back. I checked it and found it to have a full magazine.

I unloaded it and put it on the bus. We called my principal when we got back to town and he said if it was okay with the kid's dad he could take it home. He did and made a shooter out of it. 8)

Yes, this was a small West Texas town a few years ago. :wink:
Hanz
Levergunner

Post by Hanz »

I was told that the rifle was lent to the previous owner's brother who took it to Florida. The FL brother passed away and the owner found it somewhere in the garage. It still has some scale on it but I can see the man who rescued it had been scraping and sanding it.

I haven't looked down the bore but I did sent a few patches through it. Maybe I'll try cleaning it up. The pitting will never fully be removed from the gun. It's just too deep. I have some black Alumahyde that's not doing anything right now. I guess it's worth a try.