anybody got a good 300 win mag load?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

anybody got a good 300 win mag load?

Post by fordwannabe »

A buddy of mine is looking for a good load for his ruger number 1 in 300 win mag, for elk. Anybody got a good load for him, I'll do the loading and I know the rules ...START A FEW GRAINS BELOW THE LOAD STATED AND WORK UP FROM THERE AFTER CHECKING LOAD IN AT LEAST TWO REPUTABLE LOADING MANUALS. Thanks for any info. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Re: anybody got a good 300 win mag load?

Post by shooter »

I used to load the one I had with 74 gr. of IMR 4831 under a 165 gr. bullet. Very accurate load out of that particular gun (Ruger M77). It is close to max and kicks like a mule, but it worked for me. I got rid of that gun in favor of a smaller, lighter cartridge that I enjoyed practicing with. The .300 didn't bother me in the field, but it beat me to death at the bench.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
keyston44
Levergunner

Post by keyston44 »

My favorite load is 180 gr Nosler Partition over 71 gr of IMR 4350 in a Federal cases ignited by CCI LPM 250 primers with a COL of 3.365 shot out of an old Ruger 77.
I worked up that load about 25 years ago and haven't mess with it since. I've used that for all the big game Colorado has to offer and one hog.
When I got remarried about 9 years ago, my wife wanted a 300 mag too so I got her a newer Ruger 77 Mk II and shot that load in it and it performed the same as in my old Ruger.

Key
"Hatred is the cowards answer for being intimidated"
rando8586
Levergunner

Post by rando8586 »

Swift A frames,180 or 200,reloader 21.Works great from any angle.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Any Nosler 180 Grain Bullet, Winchester WLRM primer, 75.5 Grains (Book Max) Reloader 22
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Thanks Guys I'm writing all these down.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.