?about Speer 170gr JFP (.308")

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

?about Speer 170gr JFP (.308")

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

Hey All,
I've been thinking of toning down my 308 Win loads a bit in my Remington 7600. The question is "can I use the Speer 170 gr JFP at about 2500fps and not have a failure"? I was envisioning a 250 yard or less load. This would cover 95% of my hunting needs, no elk, just deer and hogs.

Thanks for your opinions, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: ?about Speer 170gr JFP (.308")

Post by Malamute »

I believe William Iorg has used that bullet in his 307 with good results at that velocity.

Any decent 150 or 165 gr pointy bullet will likely work fine also, tho the Speer 170 has a decent BC.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

CEMENTHEAD wrote: "can I use the Speer 170 gr JFP at about 2500fps and not have a failure"?
what kind of failure?

that is not much above 30wcf velocity [ if any ] , should be fine.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

pokey wrote:
CEMENTHEAD wrote: "can I use the Speer 170 gr JFP at about 2500fps and not have a failure"?
what kind of failure?

2500 is considerably over normal velocity for less-than-maximum, factory-level loads. They rarely exceed 2100 fps out of the typical 20" carbine. I know all the charts show 2200, but I can almost guarantee that's out of a 24" barrel, having chronoed factory loads aplenty. Even from the optimistic level of 2200, 300 fps is a considerable boost.

Still, I have used 170 gr. Remington and Speer flatpoints on deer out to 200 yards out of a .308 at about 2500. At longer ranges, no problem -- great expansion and penetration, bullets hold together well. At shorter ranges, I recommend broadside ribcage shots only on deer-sized game. Spectacular, almost explosive expansion and terrific internal damage -- but don't expect much through-and-through penetration at the higher speed. I witnessed one buddy take a 50 yard shoulder shot on a small buck. The buck died, but the shoulder was utterly destroyed with the leg being left attached only by a strip of hide, and it ran 200 yards before collapsing, with no evidence of penetration to the vitals except by a few fragments.
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

Somebody (Federal?) used to make a factory "reduced recoil" load for the .308 using that bullet. I have bought some to do the same as you are planning for my Ruger RSI. I figure with the 18 1/2 inch barrel I could get a little less recoil and muzzle flash. She will light up the woods at dusk/dawn with regular loads!

What powder were you thinking of using?
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

pokey wrote:
what kind of failure?

Speer's top load for the .30-30 with their 170 gr FP runs at 2118 fps..

Chronographing a number of .30-30 factory loads, several years ago, showed that none of the 170 grain rounds topped 2,000 fps from a 20" carbine barrel.. Most of them did not exceed 1920 fps.. Loads from Federal and some old Imperial/CIL stuff were the fastest..

2500 fps is Upper .307 Winchester territory....
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

My old Speer manual list that bullet for 307 loads!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

DerekR wrote:What powder were you thinking of using?
I was thinking TAC, BL-C(2) or Varget. Those are what I have on hand right now.

I think this bullet will hold up fairly well. I'm going to call Speer Monday morning and talk with their techs.

Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Nath wrote:My old Speer manual list that bullet for 307 loads!

N.
As does the Speer #14 Manual...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Buck Elliott wrote:
pokey wrote:
what kind of failure?

Chronographing a number of .30-30 factory loads, several years ago, showed that none of the 170 grain rounds topped 2,000 fps from a 20" carbine barrel.. Most of them did not exceed 1920 fps.. Loads from Federal and some old Imperial/CIL stuff were the fastest..

Buck; thats unbelievable. My Lee 170gr FP at 1700fps is almost the equal of a factory load. And only cost about 1/10th what the factory loads do. Doenst surprise me too much, since my RP 25/20 86gr FP only chrono'ed a little over 1000fps from a 24" barrel
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

Buck Elliott wrote:
Nath wrote:My old Speer manual list that bullet for 307 loads!

N.
As does the Speer #14 Manual...
This should be a good match up. The 307 Win is basically the same cartridge as the 308 Win. Same dies. Maybe 2400 fps is more realistic to shoot for.

Thanks, Tom

pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Pisgah wrote:
pokey wrote:
what kind of failure?

2500 is considerably over normal velocity for less-than-maximum, factory-level loads. They rarely exceed 2100 fps out of the typical 20" carbine. I know all the charts show 2200, but I can almost guarantee that's out of a 24" barrel, having chronoed factory loads aplenty. Even from the optimistic level of 2200, 300 fps is a considerable boost.

Still, I have used 170 gr. Remington and Speer flatpoints on deer out to 200 yards out of a .308 at about 2500. At longer ranges, no problem -- great expansion and penetration, bullets hold together well. At shorter ranges, I recommend broadside ribcage shots only on deer-sized game. Spectacular, almost explosive expansion and terrific internal damage -- but don't expect much through-and-through penetration at the higher speed. I witnessed one buddy take a 50 yard shoulder shot on a small buck. The buck died, but the shoulder was utterly destroyed with the leg being left attached only by a strip of hide, and it ran 200 yards before collapsing, with no evidence of penetration to the vitals except by a few fragments.
Buck Elliott wrote:
pokey wrote:
what kind of failure?

don't believe i specified a factory load or a barrel length, merely that,
that same projectile has been known to travel at the asked for velocity
in another cartridge, without apparent problems. :roll:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

pokey wrote:
Pisgah wrote:
pokey wrote:
what kind of failure?

Buck Elliott wrote:
pokey wrote:
what kind of failure?

don't believe i specified a factory load or a barrel length, merely that,
that same projectile has been known to travel at the asked for velocity
in another cartridge, without apparent problems. :roll:
Wasn't arguing.. Just adding information..

Sometimes, I do that... :shock:
Regards

Buck

1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

I know the OP mentioned the Speer 170, but years ago I worked up a load for my ruger RSI using the Speer 150JFN using 26gr SR4759. don't know the velocity, but would guess about 30/30 equivalent(sp?), gives about 1.5" at 100yds in my riffle. HTH
william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

I have used the Speer 170-grain bullet on our whitetail deer loaded to 2,575 fps and a bit beyond.
This is a wonderful bullet in the 307 Winchester, as stated above it retains its weight and penetrates well.
The Speer bullet also has a good BC for a flat nose bullet. My understanding is Speer has changed their mind and reinstated the Hot Core bullet line.
You can use a longer coal in the 308 Winchester than I can in the 307 Winchester. I use Hodgdon Varget for best accuracy and Alliant reloader 15 for highest velocity.
I agree the factory 30-30 is under loaded. I have chronographed several factory loads which just broke 2,000 fps from the 20” barrel carbines.
In the 26” barrel rifle the Remington 170-grain factory loads chronographed 2,335 fps.
Good loads in the standard 30-30 from a 26” barrel will just reach 2,450 fps using Alliant Reloder 15.
Slim
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

william iorg wrote: In the 26” barrel rifle the Remington 170-grain factory loads chronographed 2,335 fps.
Good loads in the standard 30-30 from a 26” barrel will just reach 2,450 fps using Alliant Reloder 15.
And with Hodgdon's LVR a lot of folks are hitting 2400 fps at (apparently) normal 30wcf pressures, at least from 24" barrels. I haven't chronod it with the 20" barrel so don't know what the loss is from that 4" reduction but it shouldn't be much over 100fps.

According to the QuickLoad ballistics program the Speer 170 started at 2400 fps is over 100 yards downrange before it drops to the 2100 fps level that the normal factory load achieves with the normal 20" barrel. So I guess us 30wcf fellers should think a bit about the bullet construction of the old 30 bullets in our new faster loads, which I had not previously thought about. Maybe I can find a coyote to try the new load on to make sure it goes on through. Thanks for bringing up the question, CEMENTHEAD.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
jager3
Levergunner

Post by jager3 »

I've "clocked" Federal 170gr. factory 30/30 in a 20" BBL Marlin at 2158fps and 2344fps(avg) in a 26" BBL 1899 Savage, which seems to be unusually high. Most 150gr factory loads only show a difference of 100fps with the same rifles whether the factory loads are Federal or Winchester. (The Marlin 336T has a "micro-groove" barrel.) When loading 170gr bullets, I prefer the Speer "flat nose" in a "tubular" magazine because of its .288 (advertised) B.C. The Speer bullet has always been accurate in my rifles and I've never had one "come apart" on a deer; but then, I've never used it above 2400fps or employed it on game less than 40 yards. I'm sure, like most "lead core" bullets, it can prove to be a "failure" used outside of its designed "envelope". If anyone of you here say that the "speed limit" of this bullet is 2500fps for maximum effective use in most hunting situations, I would tend to agree. Thanks!