How about Ruger's new rifle?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

How about Ruger's new rifle?

Post by olyinaz »

http://ruger.com/products/americanRifle/index.html

Looks like Ruger is jumping on the modern bolt rifle band wagon. Honestly, I'm OK with this if they finally offer an out-of-the-box rifle that will shoot half inch groups like Savage has been doing for some time now. I like the metal V bedded stock, "acu trigger", and three lug bolt. The action with a small(er) ejection window has drawbacks but strength will be good so accuracy should be enhanced, and the form factor allows for a lot of scope mounting options. All in all it looks like it should be an excellent hunter's rifle.

Thoughts?

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Re: How about Ruger's new rifle?

Post by damienph »

I think that it is a great idea; cheap rifles that shoot well. No need in Ruger letting Savage/Stevens and Mossberg dominate that market.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

damienph wrote:I think that it is a great idea; cheap rifles that shoot well. No need in Ruger letting Savage/Stevens and Mossberg dominate that market.
Well exactly. And although I don't have anything bad to say about Savage, I highly suspect that this will be a superior product as compared to any Mossberg or cheapo Remington and Marlin bolt guns. We shall see of course - can't count any chickens yet. Ruger often flubs a launch with a recall of some sort a few months out. They make it right, but it's always bugged me that they seem to use the public as "beta testers". :D

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I expressed my thoughts on the previous thread about this rifle.

We still don't have a puke icon.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

If you buy one be sure to get Ruger's return address. Odds are you will need it.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

To me, it borrowed from Tika for the appearance.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

J Miller wrote:I expressed my thoughts on the previous thread about this rifle.

We still don't have a puke icon.

Joe

:lol: :lol:

Joe, i dont think i've ever met a curmudgeon like yourself in person yet :lol: Without forward progress, we would all still be shooting sporterized Mausers though. Granted, sometimes forward progress is not necessarilly good, (new Mossberg tactical rifle? :oops: , Taurus lever action Judge rifle? :oops: ... bayonets for rail mounted pistols :oops: ... and on and on)

That said --- i myself was irritated a few years ago when i purchased a youth model Rem 700 and it did not have irons --- it is something of a "scout project" and having some backup irons would have saved me from having to source them myself
I know i rarely use irons, but i'm an adult who has been shooting for a while --- i guess my gripe was that a rifle that is marketed towards the youths should have irons as i have always thought people should learn to shoot irons first, then make the decision whether to use optics or not when they have a little experience under their belts

If i ever get up to Illinois, i hope i can share a shooting lane and a cup of coffee with ya though :)
----- Doug
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

The fact is -- if you are looking for a new rifle with handlapped match barrel, competition-grade sights, a choice of exhibition-grade walnut or MacMillan synthetic stock, and an adjustable set trigger, for under $500 -- it's gonna be made in China.

Let's get real -- if Ruger can make a durable, reliable rifle with better-than-acceptable out-of-the-box accuracy, at a price almost anyone can afford, I say go for it! I hope it works well, and I hope they sell a trainload of 'em.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

If they shoot as well as the Axis do thsy should sell a boat load of them. My Edge (pre Axis) in 223 shotts under an inch at 100 with no tuning. I hear they are bringing out a left hand in the spring. My local dealer is taking booking orders at $289. I am tempted to order one in 308. Should make a handy behind the seat rifle or dirty weather, don't care if it gets wet rifle.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I have dubbed this the Ruger LUR (Latest Ugly Rifle). I figure the designers of this and some of their other recent models are either extremely esthetically challanged or just plain BLIND.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I like it. I'm not near as picky about looks when it comes to bolt actions or shotguns as I am levers or handguns. I love a good bolt gun, and as long as it's not too big and bulky and it gives me good accuracy, I'm all over it. I like that Ruger is releasing this more economical model. My buddy has a Remington 740 or whatever they call them..their economy model rifle with a cheap plastic stock, etc., and it's an absolute tack driver. I think I can get one from Wally World with a scope for around $300-$350, but I like Ruger so much more as a company. If I ever need an affordable bolt gun, I'm probably gonna check out these new Rugers real close.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

I've never seen a deer fall over dead because of how my rifle looked! I love wood and bluing, but sythetic rifles have their place. I have a Ruger RSI that is a fine rifle, but I sure hate to take it out on a rainy day.
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I like pretty guns as much as the next guy but that gun ain't no uglier than any of the other black bolt guns that are sellin by the millions out there. Believe it or not budget priced, plastic stocked guns have a definite place in the gun world. Kudo's to Ruger for trying to break into the market and hope it works for em. Me? You'll have a hard time prying a Savage bolt gun outta my hands in favor of the Ruger.

LK
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

As Blaine stated above ... "it borrowed from Tika for the appearance".

Both under $500 ... which is the Ruger? Yeah, it's that close. The odd butt pad goes to the Ruger.

... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

ARGH am I an old fanny burp so I won't own another bolt gun that doesn't have a wood stock, 3 position bolt mounted safety, or CRF with a Mauser claw extractor. Ruger M77 mkII is close enough to pass but prefer a model 70 Winchester Classic Featherweight.
Spacey new bolt guns just too butt ugly that I would be embarrassed to be caught holding one. :roll:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Ruger came in this project at a perfect time. Marlin had a Big share of this market, but is having QC problems, and Ruger may take advantage of that.
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

pdawg.shooter wrote:If you buy one be sure to get Ruger's return address. Odds are you will need it.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I hate to admit this - but the last 3 Ruger pistols I bought all had to go back to the factory. They fixed them, but my confidence in their supposed quality is just not there for me...

I'd have bought one of the Gunsite-Scout rifles otherwise.
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:ARGH am I an old fanny burp so I won't own another bolt gun that doesn't have a wood stock, 3 position bolt mounted safety, or CRF with a Mauser claw extractor. Ruger M77 mkII is close enough to pass but prefer a model 70 Winchester Classic Featherweight.
Spacey new bolt guns just too butt ugly that I would be embarrassed to be caught holding one. :roll:
I can relate.
I love '60s muscle cars, too -- but with gas pushing $4 a gallon today, I find my Corolla to possess a certain attractive utility. :wink:
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Streetstar wrote:Without forward progress, we would all still be shooting sporterized Mausers though.
You say that like it's a bad thing... :wink:

At the risk of beating dead electrons, there is a market for this rifle. Maybe a couple of markets. There's the "price point" market for those on a budget or someone who wants a beater/truck/loaner rifle or as a gift to a new shooter. There's the new shooter market that doesn't want to drop a lot on what might be a passing hobby and overlaps the price point market. There's the Ruger fan market (I ain't buying one of them cheap, inferior Savage/Stevens/Mossbergs when I can gets a me a brandy new Ruger for the same money!). Maybe even the cheapskate market (which is different from the price point or budget market).

Just a SWAG on my part, but my gut says when it comes to brand new rifles, items such as this outsell the traditional wood and blued rifles by a minimum of 10 to 1. Maybe Hobie or other gun shop types can run some actual numbers for us.

The bottom line is, these new rifles are not being marketed to "us". They are being marketed to those who look at price over form. Let's face it, most of us are anachronisms who pine for the old days of blued steel and fine wood and romantics who view most firearms as a form of functional art rather than just tools.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

Slick wrote:
pdawg.shooter wrote:If you buy one be sure to get Ruger's return address. Odds are you will need it.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I hate to admit this - but the last 3 Ruger pistols I bought all had to go back to the factory. They fixed them, but my confidence in their supposed quality is just not there for me...

I'd have bought one of the Gunsite-Scout rifles otherwise.
When I was a dealer (24 years of it), I sent more Rugers back than any other. Most of the time Ruger sent them back with a note that said "within specs". Had to fix them myself to keep the customer happy.
ba_50
Levergunner

Post by ba_50 »

I've had 3 tang model Rugers and no complaints. It sounds like the higher priced models aren't selling so why not just lower the price and sell more of them? The older action doesn't promote accuracy so it will be interesting to see what this new one will do.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Hefted one at SHOT.
I think Ruger'll sell 'em, but not to me. :)
I can live with a plastic stock in rare instances, but the trigger & mag killed it.
Just my preferences kicking in.
Still not quite as cantankerous as Joe, though. :)
Denis
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

DPris wrote:Hefted one at SHOT.
I think Ruger'll sell 'em, but not to me. :)
I can live with a plastic stock in rare instances, but the trigger & mag killed it.
Just my preferences kicking in.
Still not quite as cantankerous as Joe, though. :)
Denis
They won't be selling one to me either but I like seeing affordable rifles being manufactured for those whose budget/income may severely limit what they can spend on guns and hunting.