Why we love traditional levers.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Why we love traditional levers.

Post by Canuck Bob »

For some holiday fun let us chat about traditional levers. There are many reasons from technical to historic to like our traditional levers. I'm thinking tube mag, exposed hammer, loading gate levers. The Savages and BLR types are fine rifles but for this fun thread I'm thinking of a narrower spec but imply no disrespect to those other superb levers. Also we can chat about the modern versions and clones as well. The Rossi's and Angle Ejects are as traditional as any.

The top eject Winchesters are the ultimate left hand rifle. One can feed the rifle with the off hand not the trigger hand and the ejection port is ambidexterous.

The Marlin scopes like a dream.

The exposed hammer has always seemed the best configuration in my book.

John Wayne always carried one!

An American invention used all over our hemisphere.

How about you guys?
Last edited by Canuck Bob on Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Why we like traditional levers.

Post by 86er »

Safe to carry with the hammer down; no magazine to loose, worry about or mis-feed; points and swings easily with open sights. Carries comfortably in hand and rides nicely in a scabbard.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

They work. :D

Handy, no mags to lose, handy, used in all the cowboy movies, we already them and they are paid for, history, tradition, they still work well, handy, etc....

And, if you need a higher capacity detachable mag fed rifle, well, we have those too. :evil:

John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

The lever gun is so good because it was designed by men who understood shooting things and spending a lot of time with your gun. While some of the blackpowder (1876,1886) rifles were not short and light, the carbines were at least short. Later guns like the 1892 and 1894 are dream guns. I am particularly fond of the 94 and the Marlin 336 because of the 30-30 cartridge. It is powerful enough to kill just about anything in the lower 48 without being overly powerful. A superb medium power round.

A 94 or 336 carbine gives you more rounds than a bolt gun, is three feet long, and weighs 6 pounds. They handle like a bird gun and while they are not long range rifles, they are good to 200 yards no problem and that will cover a lot of hunting situations.

I know a bolt gun can be had with more power and range, but toting a gun as long as a fishing pole through thickets, scrambling ditches, up in trees, all that, you start to wonder. I guess I might think differently if I lived in the desert. I do use a bolt gun for longer shots sometimes when I my freezer is empty and appreciate their efficiency, but most of the time they aren't really necessary.

I know that if you encounter a man carrying a battered lever gun in the field you have likely encountered a savvy hunter.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Truly, it's totally visceral. The attraction is below my conscious ability to articulate.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Ranger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Ranger »

Griff, I didn't understand a word you just said! :o

But for me, my taste in long guns has gone to all leverguns. I've had bolt, pump, auto, and singleshots, but the levergun is just my thing, and has been for sometime now. The bigboys in .45-70 and my new Browning 92 in 44 and such just look, feel, shoot, and carry well. I guess I just like 'em and that's good enough for me... :D

Wade
Aim low boys! They're riddin' shetlands!
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Griff, that was pretty profound for a transportation technician (truck driver)... but I guess we have a lot of time to think if we turn off our XM radios..... Les (another transportation technician)
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Well thank you Griff, from one bulk commodities relocation expert to another we need to improve our image as often as possible.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

What those boys said, and this-

Merry Christmas.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Griff wrote:Truly, it's totally visceral. The attraction is below my conscious ability to articulate.
+1
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Griff, dat sho be lotta fo dollar words from a two bit mouth. Any way if you was saying levers are the best then I'll agree 100%
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Canuck Bob wrote: the levergun is just my thing,
favorite94.JPG
Canuck Bob wrote:I'm thinking tube mag, exposed hammer, loading gate levers.The exposed hammer has always seemed the best configuration
3-94s.JPG
86er wrote:Safe to carry with the hammer down; no magazine to loose, worry about or mis-feed; points and swings easily with open sights. Carries comfortably in hand and rides nicely in a scabbard.
P9060530.JPG
Poohgyrr wrote:They work. :D
trapper3.JPG
Dave wrote: I am particularly fond of the 30-30 cartridge.
three feet long, and weighs 6 pounds. They handle like a bird gun.
I know that if you encounter a man carrying a battered lever gun in the field you have likely encountered a savvy hunter.
win94tkdn.jpg
Old Ranger wrote:I guess I just like 'em and that's good enough for me... :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I agree it is difficult to describe as Griff suggests. A few rough idears as why I love the 94 Winchesters:

-For a kid trained on a hammer single shot shotgun, it was a rifle that made sense ...a natural transition.
-You can feel our past when you pick it up. Later pioneers, ranchers, lawmen and Texas Rangers used 94 Winchesters and that was cool. Always thought of the 94 Winchester as a true fighting rifle and I can think of no reasons why a guy is not(still) well armed with it in 2012.
-94 Winchester feels right in the hand...has that slim and balanced feel while carrying, and comes up quick, because it is....
-ergonomically correct, light, short, trim and also very powerful all in one rifle. In 356 Win., a good bit more of the latter.
-it has enough linkages, cut outs and moving parts to make it truly interesting to ponder and wonder at. A bolt seems so simple as to be mundane. They are like half a rifle, and EBR's and similar have no personality in comparison to a classic lever.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Griff wrote:Truly, it's totally visceral. The attraction is below my conscious ability to articulate.
+2, couldn't have said it better myself! :D
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

I grew up as a son of an American cowboy. He had a levergun and used it as a tool. I then watched Westerns growing up and all I ever wanted was a real levergun and a Colt. When I was in second grade, I got a Mattel Shootin' Shell and for almost 50 years, it hasn't stopped. I don't know when I will get enough...

Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

They just happen to be the perfect tool for sitting 20 feet up in a tree in Heavy Timber ! Why any of us need a whole bunch of em is a totally different story !
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Best of all worlds - for me at least. Was raised on bolt action but never sold on it - got my first Winchester 94 at age 8 - 32 special and well used but good for many coyotes and other game . Good balance, carries easily, nearly as fast as semi-auto but, if another shot isn't needed, there is no live round in the chamber.

My favorites -
Need a 22 rimfire - Browning BL22

Winchester 94 in 30-30 - just happen to be Commemoratives - but bought to be shooters for me -

And - the queen - Winchester 95 in 30-06 - from my loving and understanding wife for our 25th anniversary seven years ago -

Shoots even better than it looks - zeroed to POA at 25 yard and 2" above POA at 100 yards - shot not with bench rest but only fist rest from table at range -

OK - so I did "help" her find it - we husbands are obligated to help our wives any way we can - and when asked what we really want for such events - be honest and helpful -
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

There have been but a few guns that at once display the genius of the gun-maker's art and still provide simple and practical usability.

This is the attraction of the lever-gun.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Boy Howdy....you boys just said it all.

A tube magazine levergun is the finest rifle that you can put into your hands. I don't know if I can add anything to it. Perfectly ergonomic, fast reloading on the go, fast action, shoulders like a fine shotgun (like the man said), easy carry, suficient power for anything in the lower 48' & most above, pride of ownership & the knowledge that comes with the whole package.

I guess we know what works & don't need to change...

LB
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Boy Howdy....you boys just said it all.

A tube magazine levergun is the finest rifle that you can put into your hands. I don't know if I can add anything to it. Perfectly ergonomic, fast reloading on the go, fast action, shoulders like a fine shotgun (like the man said), easy carry, suficient power for anything in the lower 48' & most above, pride of ownership & the knowledge that comes with the whole package.

I guess we know what works & don't need to change...

LB
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

They also use cartridges as they were properly designed to be, rimmed.

Many of Canada's best trappers and hunters carried a 94 and considered themselves well armed and those folks could hunt!

I can't imagine a finer handling rifle than a peep sighted lever. My 444 is so sturdy yet handy and hard hitting, my 94 is just such a perfect carbine.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

KirkD wrote:
+1
+3 ... I recently went full circle--I started with a Win. 94AE Trapper in 30/30 back in the day--did the Marlin 336 in 30/30 & 45/70, Marlin 1894 in .44Mag, Winchester 94AE in .307 Win., Tikka .270 cal. bolt gun thing, but recently picked up a used Winchester 94AE in 30/30. Leverguns are the best...used ones have character and speak to your soul... :)
Last edited by 1894c on Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Because the passing of a TRADITION is what it is all about!

“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Extreme ease of carry in the woods...............
My two latest Rossi (both 45LC and both octagon barrels) are amazingly accurate!...............
NOTHING "Points" like a lever gun. Simply and extension of your body.........."Point, Bang, Dead"..........
You can store a bunch of them in a small space.......very narrow.
There are millions of them on the used market so prices can be very reasonable........
Because of #4 & #5 be very careful of leveritis..........a horrible disease!
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

Anything 1895 & previous + faithful clones (Rossi, Browning, El Tigre).

I certainly would NOT include the current Miroku Japchester abominations with their tang safeties & rebounding hammers.
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Preferably anything pre-64, made in the USA, including the plaid… :wink:

Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Shatterhand »

The feel of cocking the hammer before the shot, the pointability, the handling.

Pete
Winchester model 88 .308 WCF
Winchester model 71 .348 WCF
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I don't think I can add anything that hasn't already been said.
Old Law Dawg
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

What Griff said :

Phil
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Horsesoldier nailed it, it ain't a tradition if it doesn't get passed on.
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

+ 1 on Griff's comment. A lever just looks right and while I have bolt actions and semi-auto rifles, my levers are the most fun and just make me feel the best of all my firearms after using them. My grandson was over yesterday and I gave him a pellet gun for Christmas. It was of the spring action type where you pull the forearm down and back up to cock it. We went out to the back pasture where I have a 25yd range suited to .22's. After sighting in his pellet gun and everyone shooting it alot I brought out the 22's. First he shot my .22lr USFA 12-22. Then a Sig-Sauer semi-auto 522 in '22lr. He enjoyed both of them but the biggest smile was after he fired my Henry lever carbine in .22lr. He fired off 15 .22shorts in a row and turned around and said: Wow, that was fun, I want one of these! Enough said, I think that says it all. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
93marshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 93marshooter »

Balanced weapons with balanced calibers. Guns that are easy to carry, shoot and reload. My favorite is 30-30 model 93 marlin. I would lik to have .444 marlin, .308 marlin, 25-35.
tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

Post by tomtex »

I want a traditional lever ,with a box magazine like the 95 , and chambered for the 7.62x39, 500/sw, 460/sw, 44/sw ,6.8 Rem and so-own.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

My bear aren't big by any means but damage control is damage control !

All these with 444's from 64 to 75 except for the one scraggly buck I killed with a 2001 rifle !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

These were not all taken with 444's or cast bullets !
375 WIN , 356 WIN , and 45-70 thrown in for good measures !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Last two are 444 cast bullet deer !
Others were 35 REM , 450 Marlin , 308 Marlin Express and I am sure something I've forgotten !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

One at the top is my largest racked buck to date and was killed with a MArlin 1895 of 1978 vintage I bought on this forum from Boge Quinn ! Used the Ranch Dog 460-350GC for him !
Also a another I used cast 444 , as well as a 356 WIN with cast and a 1895G with the Ranch Dog 460-425GC !
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

Old Shatterhand wrote:The feel of cocking the hammer before the shot, the pointability, the handling.

Pete
The updated version:

The feel of cocking the hammer, disengaging half a dozen lawyer safeties before the shot, the pointability, the handling.
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

444's !

2001 rifle

1967 rifle

1966 rifle with the boibbed barrel ! My "Retro 444P" !

1971 Medallion rifle with a 5x Marlin scope !

1965 rifle

1968 rifle with a Weaver K8

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

More 444's !

1971 rifle with a Bushnell illuminated Banner 1.5-6x !

1974 rifle

Another 1966 rifle

Another 1965 rifle

Another 1970 Medallion

1969 rifle

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Like a broken record more 444's !

My first 1971 rifle

The first 1968 rifle I acquired

1972 Second Model

When I only had NINE old style 444's !

1971 T and a 1973 2nd Model I got while I was in Philippines in 2010 ! No I didn't buy them there got them thru GB and MO while I was there !

First 1970 Medallion I got ! At the moment I have 4 with medallions I believe ! Three with rounded levers like this one and another with a squared lever like the 1971 rifles !

1975 Second Model the last year for barrel band 444's !

The first 1966 rifle I got

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

And still more 444's !

Here's a 1970 square lever without the medallion in the stock made for the 1971 market !

1972 444T , this is a kinda rare bird as they supposedly stopped making this style in 1971 !

1970 Medallion rifle with the squared lever like the 1971 rifles had !

Another sorta rare bird , one that seriel numbers to 1964 even though production supposedly started in 1965 ! Also check out the rollstamp on the barrel !

Well thats my present flock of 444's made from 1964 to 1975 with the one exception from 2001 !
If I remmemebr them all I believe I have 26 rifles now chambered for the 444 cartridge !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Circa 1972 MArlin 1895 in 45-70 !

Circa 1967 Marlin 336-44 in 44 MAG !

Only other leveraction I own is a Winchester 1894 TD in 30 WCF that was made about 1903 !
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

A levergun is the quintessential American firearm. It is Americana in steel and walnut. It is a symbol of the American Spirit. It has an aura that can be felt but not adequately described.

And, it makes me smile every time I pull the trigger! :D
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
93marshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 93marshooter »

6pt-sitka
I know Obsessive compulsive disorder when I see it . Or maybe a new one Marlin compulsive disorder and or Levergun compulsive disorder NOS. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Just like a fine woman, irresistible. :D
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Pitchy wrote:Just like a fine woman, irresistible. :D
+1 Pitchy :wink:
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

casastahle wrote:
Pitchy wrote:Just like a fine woman, irresistible. :D
+1 Pitchy :wink:
Freud would have a field day with this group! :shock: :mrgreen:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

Just want to thank all you wonderful folks for these fantastic photos .
It appears that many of you shooters live and have lived great lives.

.........Mutt
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Mutt wrote:Just want to thank all you wonderful folks for these fantastic photos .
It appears that many of you shooters live and have lived great lives.

.........Mutt
Dunno about the others !

But I've just been fortunate and LUCKY :lol: