Why is it so hard to get rid of Blackpowder?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nobody

Why is it so hard to get rid of Blackpowder?

Post by Nobody »

Last edited by Nobody on Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Why is it so hard to get rid of Blackpowder?

Post by J Miller »

Bob,

There's none to be had in Springfield, IL. If you were closer I would take it off your hands.
Surely there's got to be somebody who shoots BP in your area. What granulation is it?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Dig a little hole. pour in a couple inches and lite it. Makes a neat little cloud.

Or pour it over the back yard. Won't hurt nothin'

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

You're trying to sell old powder at new powder prices.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Don McDowell wrote:You're trying to sell old powder at new powder prices.
Not so much. Depending on granulation, BP seems to be going for from about $13 to $19 a pound -- and that is in bulk lots of 25-50 pounds. Smaller quantities, higher per-pound price.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Last edited by Nobody on Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Sounds to me like you don't know what your'e selling and neither do the people you're trying to sell it to.

I don't have a green thumb, but I'm not sure you should spread black on your lawn. Smokeless OK, it's got nitrogen and plants love that stuff, but black has sulfur, not so good.

Make it inert and throw it out.

You didn't pay anything for it. No loss.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Pisqah, you're a touch high, I buy blackpowder by the case, I'm getting KIK shipped for 13$, you can get Diamondback cheaper.

Wiedner hit it, you need to know exactly what that powder is, and then remember it is not exactly legal for private individuals to sell blackpowder without the proper explosive license, so folks that don't know you may be a tad squeemish about buying your powder....
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Why not shoot it up?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Bobthemotorcycle wrote:How do I dispose of this stuff?
Well, there's lots of ways, but I like these... 8)

...and before the 'wow, you have lots of really cool guns' comments,
NO, I don't have all those Thompson muzzleloaders (but I do have one)
...the picture is from their website
... :roll: :roll: :roll:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I agree with Don. Find out what granulation you have and get something to shoot it out of. What better excuse is there? :D
Old Law Dawg
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

F Wiedner - Sulphur should not hurt a lawn. It us recommended to do away with chiggers and I spread it over my lawn every spring and then again in summer if the the little devils return.

WRT the powder, I have seen people flush it down the toilet and burn it as previously suggested. As a grade schooler, we used it to make rockets and little bombs.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Chiggers, huh? I did not know that, and I appreciate the education.

My concern is that you're giving me 'useful' information with which I am likely to harm myself. I'm sure that next time I dispose of some excess, I will somehow conclude that "more is better", and I might try to burn off spillage, and then ...

Ever see the perimeter fence scene in the movie "The Green Beret?"

:shock: :oops: :lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Getting rid of black powder is easy.

Here is a guy who gets rid of heaps of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhQ4dE_RGnQ
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

Don McDowell wrote:remember it is not exactly legal for private individuals to sell blackpowder without the proper explosive license, so folks that don't know you may be a tad squeemish about buying your powder....
False

Just sprinkle it on your lawn, it will make it green.

I'd shoot it up, it's perfectly good powder.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

FWiedner wrote:
Ever see the perimeter fence scene in the movie "The Green Beret?"

:shock: :oops: :lol:
Foogas! :lol:

Hey, that and a couple fo Claymores would solve Pitchy's road hunter problems... :twisted:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
papabear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by papabear »

I bought powder from others with out paper work
but $10 a lb is a bit too much try selling it for $5 a lb if I lived closer to you I would pick it up as long as it did not get wet it is still good
Papabear
PARENTS DON'T TAKE PICTURES OF THEIR KIDS PLAYING VIDEO GAMES
====================================================================
For Those Who Understand No Explanation Is Needed
For Those Who Don't None Will Do
====================================================================
Member Of The N.R.A.-North American Hunting club-Syosset Gun Club
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Don,

Where are you getting real black powder for that price? Here in north Florida, I can not find any at all and the prices I am finding on the internet scare me. Between the cost and shipping, I would have about $50 per pound in it and I would have to buy 25 lbs. or more. I really want to find some FF and FFF.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Bruce: calll Jerry Dean at Powder Inc.

Jerry will ship a min. of 5# of BP. His prices inc. shipping and HazMat.

http://www.powderinc.com/
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Ray,

Thanks for the link. Can someone tell me about KIK and/or Swiss powders as they are new ones to me. When I used to use BP, GOEX was all there was.

I currently have a self built TC Hawken percussion 50 caliber, but I have the itch for a flintlock long rifle (or TC Seneca/Cherokee) in 40 or 45. Any idea what the FFFF pan equivalent is in the newer non BP replacement powders is?
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Bruce: for about 30 years, I only shot GOEX. This year, I 'wuz gonna' try SWISS powder, a very good Swiss made BP, but expensive. The last delivery of GOEX that I received was not up to my expectations. Then Fellow Black Powder Cartridge Rifle Shooters advised me to try KIK -- made in Slovenia -- instead of SWISS.

This Spring, I purchased KIK from Powder Inc. Based upon shooting about 8# in BP cartridge rifles, I find that it is far superior to GOEX. Fouling cleans up very easily and works very well with my paper patch bullet loads.

No experience with KIK and a grease groove bullet.

I have not shot any KIK in my muzzleloader.

I know several former SWISS BP cartridge rifle shooters, who now shoot KIK. From what they tell me, KIK is as good as SWISS.

Again, I have no experience shooting SWISS or KIK in a muzzleloader. I do not know of any muzzleloader who shoots anything other than GOEX.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Bruce take a look at Powder Inc. website, you'll have to send or fax them the old enough and not prohibited statement before they'll ship the order but after that it's as simple as a phone call.
I haven't checked at Grafs for a while but they used to sell their own labled powder (Schuetzen) for 12, plus hazmat. Buy a case at a time and the hazmat spread over 25 cans doesn't amount to much, and sometimes if they were in a good mood they'ld pickup the hazmat on full case orders.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

JerryB lives in Ark, but not sure how far he is from Bentonville.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Bruce wrote:Ray,

Thanks for the link. Can someone tell me about KIK and/or Swiss powders as they are new ones to me. When I used to use BP, GOEX was all there was.

I currently have a self built TC Hawken percussion 50 caliber, but I have the itch for a flintlock long rifle (or TC Seneca/Cherokee) in 40 or 45. Any idea what the FFFF pan equivalent is in the newer non BP replacement powders is?
KIK has been around for a few years. I tried it this spring on recommendation from another shooter, when Hogdons announced they were suspending the production of Goex Express. Velocity wise 2f KIK is exactly like Goex 2f express, and accuracy wise it's just as good if not better. It is an extremely clean burning powder. It does smell a bit different the Goex or the other European powders and is a bit dustier, but 2fps extreme spread is not unheard of. 1.5 KIK shows some extreme accuracy potential as well when loaded and handled like Goex Cartridge.

Schuetzen is a good powder, but you have to watch with it and Swiss as what they call 2f is roughly the same kernel size as Goex 3f (henceforth all the nonsense about how much faster they are than Goex,,, match up the kernel size and that advantage goes out the window ) They both leave a harder fouling than Goex.
Swiss is just quite simply over priced and over hyped.
Last edited by Don McDowell on Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I use KIK in my flintlock and really like it. I originally tried it because a number of people told me it was very clean, which I would agree with. When my Express runs out I'll be using it in rifle cartridges too.
Slow is just slow.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

A few years ago I posted a study I did comparing equivalent weights/volumes of various commercial Black Powders.

I will look it up in the archives eventually, but IIRC, KIK rated #2 or #3...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Driftwood Johnson
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Driftwood Johnson »

Replying to the original question before it got edited, the reason you are not selling the powder is because it is unmarked. I would never buy a container full of unknown powder. I have recently bought 'second hand' powder from someone who was no longer shooting, but it was in the original containers, so I knew what I was buying.
I don't know where we're going but there's no sense being late.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Bruce wrote:Don,

Between the cost and shipping, I would have about $50 per pound in it and I would have to buy 25 lbs. or more. I really want to find some FF and FFF.
I guess alot of prices depend on a persons perspective.
Ok so I order 1lb of blackpowder from Grafs, it gets here at a cost of roughly 50$. 15 for the powder and the rest in hazmat.
Contrast that 35$ hazmat with gasoline at 3.75 a gallon, ten gallons of gas to run to the nearest powder emporium, and just what did you end up saving?
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

Bruce wrote:Don,

Where are you getting real black powder for that price? Here in north Florida, I can not find any at all and the prices I am finding on the internet scare me. Between the cost and shipping, I would have about $50 per pound in it and I would have to buy 25 lbs. or more. I really want to find some FF and FFF.
I buy from the Escambia River Muzzleloaders for $11.00 a can.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

I would think that some local reenactors with artillery connections would be able to help you consume it. Cannon use a lot of powder in a days time.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom