OT: Browning Sweet Sixteen.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jjames
Levergunner 2.0

OT: Browning Sweet Sixteen.

Post by jjames »

This one is next on the bucket. Is anyone aware of a good research book for making an intelligent purchasing decision. Blue book of gun values gives a few clues such as the ventilated rib is worth 20% more the front safety and 2 9/16 chambers deduct from the value. I am also interested in what were factory configurations. I have seen a few that have Cutts chokes added after the fact but have also seen some that have poly chokes that supposedly came from the factory. I have seen some with recoil pads and other without. I have heard 62-66s are the most desired years fo the FN manufactured guns.

Thanks in advance.
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT: Browning Sweet Sixteen.

Post by Bruce »

I happen to own one of the 64 models w/ the ventilated rib. I did not know about the rib and found out later. You are on the right path by asking first. I have not shot mine, but a few others have and I keep getting the same report - on mine and others. They kick.

I originally bought it for my father and got it when he passed away in 2009. Maybe I'll run a few through it this year.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

I have two, one Belgian without rib, mod choke, and a Miroku with rib and invectors.
Values are all over the place and more important is the condition. Cutts, and the like generally decrease value.

What purpose? Collecting or shooting?

Some have a blonde wood, and can fetch more, but some people don't like the blonde wood and say they are worth less money.

If buying to shoot, doesn't matter. They are fantastic shotguns.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I have one in excellent condition I would love to know more about. I'm starting to think about selling it.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I think the most desirable are the Belgum made, vent rib models from the lower 60's without any adjustible chokes, or Cutts compensators. These guns should not have a recoil pad on them, they should have a thin black hard plastic Browning butt plate. Find a gun like this and it will probably have a blond stock, with a rounded pistol grip, sort of Prince of Wales type grip.

It should say Sweet Sixteen on the side of the receiver, if it does not, then it's not a Sweet Sixteen. Also you will want the Easy load feature which if it's a low 60's gun, it probably has. The Easy Load Feature, allows you to load it by pushing a round in the magazine by just shoving a round in from the bottom without having to push the side button first. With the Easy Load, you can run the gun dry, and have the slide locked open, and just shove a round into the bottom and it will automatically load into the chamber, and the action will close, that is of course if you have not activated the magazine cutoff switch.

These guns are getting expensive, with good clean ones going for $900 and up from there, often into the $1,200 and up range, anymore. Also, on any A5, be sure and check for cracks in the forearm, just in front of the action, because it's a common ailment on many A5's

I love A5's and they are my favorite semi-auto shotgun.
NRA Life Member, Patron
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

I have owned a Belgian A5 "Light Twenty" vent rib since I purchased it new in 1966( it was my first "good gun") and have somewhere north of 70K rounds through it. The only problem was a broken firing pin 2 years ago and luckily found one in an old gun shop for $15.! That said A-5's can be pleasant shooting guns if you pay attention to the recoil friction bushings on the magazine tube. If they are set for heavy loads and no oil on the mag tube much of the recoil is absorbed in friction on the tube. The down side is the action may not function due to too much friction. If you then just very lightly lube the mag tube you will decrease friction just enough to operate the action but still absorb much of the recoil. If you shoot it with the friction rings in the light load setting with heavy loads both you and the gun will take a pounding. These guns are very well made, should be shot and enjoyed not put in safes! Mine has the blonde wood and I get comments about what a great looking gun it is all the time when shooting Sporting Clays or skeet. I've had many people share stories of their A-5's with me over the years and that's been enjoyable. Good luck on your search for the Sweet Sixteen but do yourself a favor, shoot and enjoy it!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I had a Miroku light Twenty and it is a pleasure to shoot.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...