Almost Finished #3 Ruger (target pics added)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Almost Finished #3 Ruger (target pics added)

Post by Swampman »

I got a good deal on this .45-70 because about 1/2 the finish was missing on the stock. Started with BLO and finished with 8 coats of hand rubbed Min-Wax Satin Tung Oil Finish. I'm still waiting on a front sight, Leupold QD Rings, and a Leupold 1.5-5X20 scope. I had one when I was young and I missed it.
Last edited by Swampman on Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Re: Almost Finished #3 Ruger

Post by KirkD »

Beautiful job! It nicely brings out the figure in the wood, judging from that 2nd photo.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Jeff H
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jeff H »

Very nice, Swampman.
I love the No. 3.
Mine is in .223, but I wouldn't mind having a few more in other calibers.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Very nice! I always thought they looked like a modern day trapdoor.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

I wanted one of the short barreled Shiloh Sharps but this was much cheaper.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Looks great, nice job and a nice rifle, i`ve never had one and i don`t know why.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

that is awesome. I handled one for years in the shop I worked part time on. never pulled the trigger in getting it, was dumb then and listened to the gunwriters tell of how hard it kicked in 45-70. that was before my love affair with the caliber set in. That is real nice and I wish you years of enjoyment out of that. IF I didn't have a sharps, I would definately hunt me up one of those.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Very nice !

I wanted one of the #3's in 45-70 back around 1977 . We went in a gunshop in Warrenton VA and the guy handed me a brand new one and if I remmember correctly the price was $165 minus 10% for cash !
I was 16 at the time and my pop would not do the paperwork , kept telling me that it would kick to much !

About 4 years later I was offered a NIB #3 in 30-40 Krag at the loacal shop for $185 plus tax and I passed again !

Wish I had them both now as they'd look nice with my #1's :wink:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

I'd love to have one in .30-40. They've gotten very expensive. When loaded sensibly the .45-70's recoil seems fine to me.

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Swampman wrote:I'd love to have one in .30-40. They've gotten very expensive. When loaded sensibly the .45-70's recoil seems fine to me.
My pop never reloaded a day in his life !

And even though he owned alot of guns he never really shot them alot . So to him big hole in barrel , fairly large cartridge meant lots of recoil !

An example of that was Xmas 2009 I gave him a very nice but used Ruger #1H in 416 REM MAG . Gun has a very nice piece of wood in the butt and they no longer chamber for this round !
And the first words out of his mouth after he opened the guncase it was in were "What am I gonna do with this ?" and my response to him was , the same thing as all the others you have , put it in the safe and look at it once every year or so and I'll shoot it :lol:

On his behalf he has Parkinson's now and is pretty much incapable of shooting very well anylonger .

While I'd still like a #1 or #3 in 45-70 , I think my second choice for a #3 would have to be the 375 WIN .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Swampman wrote: They've gotten very expensive. When loaded sensibly the .45-70's recoil seems fine to me.

My circa 1972 MArlin New Model 1895 when loaded with my stout cast bullet loads with the 425 , 465 and 550 grainers was a handfull with the original buttstock which is a semi curved plastic deal that will dig in your shoulder from the bench . After I got that rifle just so happened I remmmeberred I had an extra cracked stock of the same configuration I had gotten from Moodyholler a year or two before . Took that stock fixed the crack . Made sure the inletting was good and snug but not to tight and then cut the butt and added a KickEez pad that was about an inch thick !

Now my stout loads with the 425 grain RD bullet are calm , the BRP 465 is a kitten and the BallistiCast 550 grainer is now a big shove nothing more !

And the great thing is I still have the factory original stock I can put back on the rifle if I ever decide to sell it ! And oh I failed to mention I have the correct factory box with the owners manual still inside !
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

I have a 1974 Marlin 1895 with that same plastic buttplate. I like it too.

JDL
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JDL »

Well, I had one twice back in the '70's. I want another, if for no other reason just to see if it really kicks as much as I remember. :wink: I wish I had got one from a good friend that had been rebarreled to .375 Win. and he had the original .30-40 barrel too.
JDL
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

I want a .30-40 real bad.

Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Almost Finished #3 Ruger (target pics added)

Post by Swampman »

I tried 12.5 grains of Unique and a 340 grain hard cast bullet to get on the paper, and it shot really well at 25 yards with almost no recoil. I then switched to 30 grains of IMR-4198, a CCI LR Primer, Starline cases, a 405 grain hard cast Georgia Arms bullet with an OAL of 2.550 and shot a sub-1" group at 50 yards. This is the 1st 3 shot group at 100 yards. I adjusted the scope and shot a 10 shot 100 yard group that was about 2" including a called flyer. Most of them were in one ragged hole.

KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Outstanding accuracy.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Nice job on the stock! And great shootin! Thanks for the pics and report.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

That gun is going to make a rifle!