OT - New Green and Yellow Toy

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

OT - New Green and Yellow Toy

Post by crs »

A John Deere 650 compact tractor with 60inch Cat 1 three point mower:

86er knew I wanted something like this to mow the horse pasture, so when he called and told me about it, we wasted no time checking it outthe next afternoon; I had it on the farm before dark. :)

BTW, I know the 100# front weights are for a much larger tractor and have already designed some mods (to be made with a cutting torch) to adapt them to the front weight carrier and still have room for at least 200 # more weight if needed.

BTW #2 86er, belay my comment about needing to paint the tractor. Troupe and I have cleaned , polished, and waxed a few spots, and the paint cleans up like new! 8)
The mower is a different story and though sound, it will need to be painted as it has led a rough life.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - New Green and Yellow Toy

Post by awp101 »

:mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

8) 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

That'll make short work of your mowing!! Congrats!!!
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Nice tractor !

I have one a bit larger then yours and 4x4 but still in what they call the middle class between lawn mowers and full blown ag tractors .

Anyway I have a bucket on mine , you might give consideration to removing the weights and having a bucket installed if you can find a used one or new one at a reasonable price and it should weigh the 100-300 pounds you wanted and you have a nice accesory !

I know I wish we had had a our tractor with the bucket when I was a youngster it woulda saved me many many armloads of carrying blow downs in the drive way etc ! With this things a couple snips with the Stihl and you can push the whole mess out into the woods !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

6pt
I am looking at accessories such as scraper, loader, bales spear, etc.
Used is usually much less costly when you can find things. The added front weight would definitely be needed if it is used to move round bales with a rear mounted bale spear.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

crs wrote:6pt
I am looking at accessories such as scraper, loader, bales spear, etc.
Used is usually much less costly when you can find things. The added front weight would definitely be needed if it is used to move round bales with a rear mounted bale spear.

I can tell you one thing for certain !

If we had the tractor we have now with a bucket or forks on the front when I was a youngster maybe I wouldn't be such a grumpy old 50 year old :lol:

When we had all the snow in Virginia in late 2009 and early 2010 the bucket on the front of our tractor paid for itself 4 times over :wink:
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Nothing runs like a deere, their one fault they dont have a power down 3 point hitch which is nice when you use a post hole auger. danny
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

BigSky56 wrote:Nothing runs like a deere, their one fault they dont have a power down 3 point hitch which is nice when you use a post hole auger. danny

Geeeezzzzz another not fond memory from my childhood !

My grnadfather had a PTO unti on the back of his 1964 CJ-5 and when he bought it new he got a snow blade and a PHD with it !

He and my dad dug the holes and set the posts and I did ALL the tamping !

Thank God for steel posts and post drivers !
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Those 650's are a great tractor!
Loved mine. Traded mine for a lot bigger JD and really probably should have just kept the smaller 650.
Good luck with yours. Love the JD's :D
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

It could be worse. :mrgreen:

Naw just kidding, nice tractor, JD`s are best. 8) 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Found something for you! http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractor ... e-650.html You might want to print this out if you don't already have the information :)

If you want a FEL - you need a JD 60 or equivalent.

This reminds me very much of the Ford 1200 that I had about 5 years ago. Mine was 4x4 though - and I will say that if you get the FEL, you will find it challenging to manouver with a full bucket without the 4x4 as the weight of the full bucket bears down on the front wheels and makes steering difficult. But for the occasional job, its still very useful.

My 1200 was very handy - I did a lot of work with that little rig and when I sold it, I got exactly the price that I paid for it! Albeit with an extra attachement - a disk that I got used for it, but still I was very happy - basically got to use it for about 10 years for the cost of maintenence and that $150 attachement. :)

Tactors really retain their value.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Hope she runs like a Deere! For a long time.
Old Law Dawg
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Pitchy - great joke, thanks.

OSOK - Thanks for the link and I did print it. I will check the chassis for the serial number to see if it matches the bill of sale and then see what year it was made.

10-4 on the weight of a front end loader - maybe the mower deck would help balance a bucket load?
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Love the little JD's --- but my experience is somewhat limited --- I have a 670 2wd, which is a slightly newer 650 i think ? --- anyway - awesome tractor, -- i've tried to tinker around with taking the belly mower off -- with the turf tires, it works best as an oversized lawnmower --- I've done some minor grading with a small boxblade, but i really need better tires to maximize it .

----- Doug
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Pitchy wrote:It could be worse. :mrgreen:

Got an JD A like that one too(with the seat/steering wheel)
OMG----does that tractor pull when in the mud like nothing else)
Last week used it to pull neighbor's (Big Case)out that got stuck with a manure spreader in the mud)
All the JD's weight is where it should be.And when going up a steep hill no need to shift down.
Governor just kicks in and you can hear it from next hill over sounding like a big bad Harley.
The G is a tad bigger and will pull better on a sliding weighted sled.
But, when pulling a weighted stone sled weighted right from the beginning the A fair'd better.
At one time for the old JD's had 1--- H 2---B's 1-----A 1----G
Now, only got left one B and the A (boy, do I miss the little H)
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

crs wrote:Pitchy - great joke, thanks.

OSOK - Thanks for the link and I did print it. I will check the chassis for the serial number to see if it matches the bill of sale and then see what year it was made.

10-4 on the weight of a front end loader - maybe the mower deck would help balance a bucket load?
Well, my Ford (which was also an aluminum frame Yanmar - definately Jap) needed a bit more weight on the back than the shredder, so I just put some bags of deer corn on it and tied em down when I needed the weight.

This was only when the dirt was wet - when I was working with dry dirt, the shredder was plenty by itself.

The way I found out that it needed the extra weight in the back was kind of exciting! I went to lift up the bucket of wet dirt and the tractor went airborn! Yipiyikyee! Fortunately, I remained at the controls and let her down quickly - but it was an instant education :)

I will also council checking your hydrolics hoses and replacing them if they are showing any cracks... that was an education too.... :oops:
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I just got my first real tractor (not counting the little 1949 Gibson with 9-horse Wisconsin pull-start engine) -- the smallest Mahindra 3-cylinder diesel built 100 percent by Mitsubishi. In addition to the front loader, I have a box scraper and a mowing deck. Man, I love that scraper. It is amazing what a guy can get done with the help of a small tractor!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

madman4570 wrote:
Pitchy wrote:It could be worse. :mrgreen:

Got an JD A like that one too(with the seat/steering wheel)
OMG----does that tractor pull when in the mud like nothing else)
Last week used it to pull neighbor's (Big Case)out that got stuck with a manure spreader in the mud)
All the JD's weight is where it should be.And when going up a steep hill no need to shift down.
Governor just kicks in and you can hear it from next hill over sounding like a big bad Harley.
The G is a tad bigger and will pull better on a sliding weighted sled.
But, when pulling a weighted stone sled weighted right from the beginning the A fair'd better.
At one time for the old JD's had 1--- H 2---B's 1-----A 1----G
Now, only got left one B and the A (boy, do I miss the little H)
I sold my H a few years back also and should of kept it, sold my MC crawler two years ago because i thought we were moving.
I am now running a JD 60 wide front, great tractor with the ole two banger in it.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Congratulations on the tractor. I bought a new JD 3032E, 5' Bush Hog and D&G tiller a few years ago when I retired. I mostly used it for gardens, back pasture mowing and food plots. Just this summer, I found the cast piece where the top link hooks into the back of the tractor had developed a stress crack where the lynch pin holes are. To make a long story short, JD had the tractor for a month and could not get a firm date on when the part would ship for replacement. So, last week, they took my two year old tractor and gave me a new JD 3005 (my choice) as a replacement. At the same time, I bought a 16 -18 disc harrow and a 350 lb. capacity hopper type fertilizer/seed spreader. I am a happy camper and have been working on my garden, yard and food plots for a week.

Now I am on the lookout for either a two disc older type of turn plow or a bottom plow and maybe a chain harrow.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum