OT cow dogs

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

OT cow dogs

Post by BigSky56 »

took the pup up to the mtn pasture for his first time on the ground with the cows they were busy eating and didnt have time to stomp him but kept a eye on him. The pup and his daddy, the pup got his moms coloring darker than most blue heelers, he should make a good cow dog hes got the drive to heel and he listens. danny
Last edited by BigSky56 on Sat May 12, 2012 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT cow dogs

Post by pokey »

nice pup. :mrgreen:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:D Lots of adventure on the way.... :mrgreen:
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Don McDowell wrote::D Lots of adventure on the way.... :mrgreen:
:D

Good to see you posting, Dan. Noticed you haven't been around alot.
Old Law Dawg
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

oh no, I saw the Blue Dog.

(in case you didn't know, NOLA legend, if you see the blue dog you're going to die, popularized by the art of George Rodrigue)
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

I had those heelers back in the early 70's; mine came directly from Australian stock (1st gen pups). I got mine from a race-horse trainer and they were great dogs. Very athletic and courageous. One of my dogs was kicked and knocked out by a stud horse one evening when it was quite dark. I thought my dog was dead, but when it came to it "immediately" went back after that horse and ran him into the pen. Another young dog continued after a black bear in AZ when the lion/bear-hunters pack of hounds refused to follow it into heavy brush after they had been beat up some. The hunters were only able to get the bear by going along after this dog.

My first female was kind of a reddish/blue mix; she threw both "blues" and "reds". My dogs were good with people, but would go after whatever kind of stock they were put on. Really a neat breed; only reason I no longer have them is that I like to hunt birds behind pointing dogs now. Come to think of it, heelers might even be able to do that--they're incredibly versatile !!
Palmtreee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Palmtreee »

In Texas we love um, we think ours is the best.

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Clever lookin' dogs :D

Reminds me kinda' of early summer. I was out with the bow and looking for a lost arrow :roll: when I started to hear the comotion!
A friend was trying to get some cows and calves into the next field, he was trying to drive them in a 4x4 a shouting and cussin'. His kids were trying to help etc etc.

I was out of view of him and at first and took no notice, eventually it got to much for me especially knowing how these cows with calves eye up Tia so I walked over the small rise and approached. Immediatly my friend started waving me away for fear of my dog (bit of a wild look to these cattle see)! But I knew Tia is no fool and has shown a little interest in herding cattle before! Sure enough the hole herd got fixated with her and we quietly and calmly let them follow us through the gate Tia doing her little twists and turns, teasing them if you like. Clever little dog.

Sorry for rabbling Danny, I love seeing your country!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Good looking dogs Danny. Sure makes a difference, having good dogs to work cows.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
tattoo13
Levergunner 1.0

Post by tattoo13 »

I have a Red Heeler, I always liked the blue coloring better, but when I saw her in the pen I couldn't leave her there.
Smartest darn dog I have ever had.
For those that do not know they tend to be a one person dog, and dog barely listens to my wife. So in turn my wife refers to her as "your stupid dog". Well one day my wife's black dachshund ran off in the middle of the night and would not come to my wife's calls. I opened the door and said "Dog go get Brandy." 3 minutes later here comes dog heeling the Dachshund home, I looked at her and said "Who's dog is stupid?". :lol:

Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Mine is not a Heeler, but a Catahoula Leopard/Black Mouth Cur cross. Born bob tailed and brindle colored. She came from working stock, but her most important job now is keeping the wifes Boston "Terror" happy and safe.

Here she is in the guard mode.

http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Some great looking dogs!
If we could only be as good of a species as dogs :mrgreen:
When I think of the most honorable living creature it's not us but dogs.
And yes I like my dogs better than 90% of the people(course I wouldn't count you guys) :D :?: :lol:
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

The pups parents are half red & half blue heeler, heelers are good with kids cept they want to heel them when they are running and playing and as for working cows they are great nothing like a pack of cow eating dogs to root cows out of the brush or off a mtn. I need to train this pup to go up on the mtn and bring back down some elk :D danny
tattoo13
Levergunner 1.0

Post by tattoo13 »

Funny, Dog is half blue and half red, but other than some black hairs running in her coat she looks red.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

You cant beat a CATAHOULA or BM Curr, and HEELERs are about as smart as they come.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
mack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mack »

BigSky, I envy you with the pup.
I'm slowly loosing my red speckled ACD "Jack" to diabetes. Can't let him work much at all now or his sugar gets out of control. Once you have had a cattle dog, most other breeds don't quite measure up.
Steve Collins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steve Collins »

I had a blue heeler/border collie mix, named him Zip. Only had him a little while, then parvo got him. Our working dog now is a Aussie Shepherd/Border Collie named Pearl, and she's turning out to be just as smart as Zip was. She hangs out with my or my wife equally. Amazing how affectionate they are sometimes! She keeps our Staffordshire Terrier busy, and they both leave the old Lab alone. You gotta love working dogs! :D
Draw quickly, shoot accurately!
S&L Training
www.sandltraining.com

NRA Life Member
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

madman4570 wrote:And yes I like my dogs better than 90% of the people(course I wouldn't count you guys) :D :?: :lol:
No offense taken; my wife usually says I AM a dog, anyway. :wink: Since she's usually smiling and not throwing anything when she says it, I'm going to assume it's a compliment. :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Mack sorry to hear about your pup I sent you a PM. danny