Browning BLR--extraction problem

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Browning BLR--extraction problem

Post by getitdone1 »

You may recall I mentioned my new BLR did not throw the empties very far when extracting. (1-2 feet) Well, this ties-in with a problem I had before and one that I concentrated on today. The thing jams when I lever it fast. Nothing turns me off on a gun more than lack of reliability.

Evidently, and I tested it several times, when I lever fast the extractor slips by the rim and I end-up with an empty cartridge case turned backwards in the receiver and a jammed gun.

Have any of you had this problem with your BLR? If you have, did Browning replace extractor and is it now reliable when levering fast?

If you'd like to, try levering fast with an empty in the chamber and see what happens. You might have to try this 3-4 times to be sure. Mine is chambered for 308 Winchester.

This will be "fixable" or the BLR will not be around long.

Edit: And, one more problem I've had but this one may be just my being new to the gun. If I'm not careful I don't get the magazine all the way in and it falls out. I'd like this attachment to be more robust and positive.

Don
Last edited by getitdone1 on Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Browning BLR--extraction problem

Post by Tycer »

No issue here nor on any of the others I've had.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
scarville
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scarville »

Nothing like that with either of my BLR's.

Is it a used gun? The only things I can think of is a badly worn or broken extractor or a weak or missing extractor spring.
What most people call a "right" is the equivalent of a dog walking on a leash. Just because your leash is a little longer than the other dogs' does not mean you don't have a master.
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Factory ammo or reloads?
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I have eleven of them around here and no problems.

See if there is something (dirt) under the extractor.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

I have never had this problem with any BLR. It does sound interesting though. Apparently, you are getting the empty case at least partially out of the chamber. You state it ends up "turned backwards in the receiver". You also state it does "not throw the empties very far". You may have a stuck or sticky ejector.

Try cleaning the bolt face to remove any contaminates and oil both the extractor and the ejector.

I also need to ask - Has the rifle been taken apart? If so, you probably have a timing issue.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Thanks for the responses.

No the gun has not been taken apart except for breaking it in half via the take-down feature. I'll take a close look at extractor and ejector for dirt and spring tension.

Another "interesting" thing happened a couple of days ago. I had this type of jam and then--for a try or two--the bolt would not go fully closed on a loaded cartridge in the chamber. Hammer was all the way back and would not drop by pulling trigger. I cycled it a couple of times and this problem went away.

This is a brand new gun. Have shot it around 40 times using both factory and reloaded ammo. It does cycle the short 125 gr bullet reloads well.

I can take any empty case, put it into chamber, lever it fast and make the case turn around backwards in the receiver. Don't believe whether factory or reload has anything to do with this problem.

I've had lots of lever guns. I know the importance of a full, brisk stroke on the lever. It's the gun, not me.

Don
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Don,

The hammer should not fall if the bolt is not fully closed. The only reason I can think of for the bolt not fully closing is the bolt head sticking in the bolt body. It does still sound like an (overall) lubrication issue. I would even go as far as to take the butt stock off and make sure the main spring tube and spring are lubricated.

If lubricating is not the answer, then timing is the problem.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[This is a brand new gun.]

And, therin lie the rub - literally.

I would entirely disassemble the gun down far enough to embarass it ( or have a gunsmith do it) - then clean/lube every single part, pin, whatever, before reassembling.

I'm betting you'll find a metal shaving (or three), floating around in there.

Of course, Browning Cust Service might do the same under warranty, but then that'd involve shipping the gun.

jjames
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jjames »

I had a 308 BLR probably 1978 vintage. After 3-4 shots of factory ammo, it would not extract empty cases period locking up the lever completely. After 3-4 trips back to Browning they seemed to fix the problem. I believe it had an out-of-spec chamber. I had had enough by then and sold the rifle. My two newer BLRs have given me no troubles. Do the extracted cases have any damage on the rim?
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

jjames wrote:I had a 308 BLR probably 1978 vintage. After 3-4 shots of factory ammo, it would not extract empty cases period locking up the lever completely. After 3-4 trips back to Browning they seemed to fix the problem. I believe it had an out-of-spec chamber. I had had enough by then and sold the rifle. My two newer BLRs have given me no troubles. Do the extracted cases have any damage on the rim?

jjames,

No damage to the rims.

If you took the Browning BLR and Browning 1886 and put them through an extensive reliability test which would win? I have an idea. I'd put even more money on the Browning model 71 due to the cartridge/bullet shape.

Don
BigBrown
Levergunner

Post by BigBrown »

Did you figure out/fix your ejection issue? I have a .308 BLR that's three years old. It does EXACTLY the same thing: when levering, cases get left in the gun spun 180 degrees. I have to dump them out to chamber a new round.

Browning said to ship it back and they'll fix it, but I am curious if it has a faulty ejector spring. It seems weak/mushy when I push on it.

Gun only has a box or so through it.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Bump.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

My first reply to this post was many years ago and since then I've had the sticking case problem on 3 or 4 BLRs, including one in 243. When I inspected the chambers with my bore scope there were rings around the chamber that made it very rough. Just had to be there from the factory. I devised a hone by wrapping emery cloth around a 50 cal brush and polished the chambers. Used some tape to get the emery to cling to the brush. I used this set-up to get around complete dis-assembly of the action. Try very hard to not need to dis-assemble those gears as it is a bear to re-time. The rig I used was a cleaning rod down barrel, screw on the "hone" and turn it with my air drill. A variable drill would work also. A couple of these were Belgian made and a couple were early Mirokus.

I think the count of how many I own is 15 now. One for each Grandchild and I guess it will soon include Greats. Don't want to leave them out.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
BigBrown
Levergunner

Post by BigBrown »

I received my BLR back from Browning today. They replaced the ejector/pin/spring and the extractor/spring.

I haven’t shot it yet. Hopefully it’s fixed.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'm thinking that something under the ejector might make the bolt not close fully, if it is a 'plunger' ejector in the bolt-face (I don't know if it is).

Hope they fixed it whatever it is...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "