OT-Grizzly and one lucky guy

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

OT-Grizzly and one lucky guy

Post by getitdone1 »

Why do people get so close to dangerous animals--esp. in the parks? Every hiker in parks with dangerous animals should be told to keep their distance by park rangers or at least be given "dangerous animal literature" on how to conduct yourself around them. I expect this is done and people disregard it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1FjUmGWcg4&NR=1

Came back to add this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QAh5YQgrXs&NR=1

Don
Last edited by getitdone1 on Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT-Grizzly and one lucky guy

Post by .45colt »

He was one second and two jumps by the Bear from haveing the worst day of His Life. :o . by the Grace of God.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

What a nice bear :lol:
That yahoo was really lucky.
They are without doubt one of the most beautiful animals on the planet(and extremely smart)
Though now because we have so many around here, I usually carry a gun when in our woods anytime and even as of late when even being on our 3 acre lawn(at night) I as of late have sort of gotten a little soft on hunting those cool guys but that also can change(my passion,Big Bucks :mrgreen: )
There is just something about having them around that makes the daily hikes(being alone in the woods) just that much more enjoyable.(That wilderness thing)
Last week a mother bear(with two cubs)got hit at the mouth of my long driveway.(One of the cubs,probably cuddling right by mom got hit and killed :( )One is left and I keep an eye on him about 200yards out back in the woods.
The little bugger is doing pretty good and scampers a tad off when he see's me.(Cutest thing I ever saw)
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

As the saying goes, "There is one born every minute". I really would like to understand how someone can be so stupid and still survive!
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I will say this for that fellow, at least he was smarter than the group of kids that recently turned and ran. He backed up and at one point made himself smaller than the bear to prove he wasn't a threat. The kids pretty much triggered the predator/prey response by running away, and paid for it. Though as I've said before, the adults that let those inexperienced kids out alone in bear country should be horse whipped.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

For anyone to let a bear get that close to them before exiting the area deserves what they get. Plain and simple. It's like parents trying to put their childen/grandchildren on the back of a buffalo in Yellowstone for a picture. Just plain stupid.
Old Law Dawg
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

A grizzly just bluff charged a couple people in Yellowstone in the past day or so. They were too close to the bear and crowding it is what I think I heard in the report. I believe there were a lot of people out looking at it when it happened. Generally the people's own fault when things like that happen in parks.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

I read if there's 3 or more people a bear will usually "back-down." I certainly wouldn't want to bet on this with my own life at stake. I do think there's some truth to it. I believe a pack of wolfs can drive a grizzly off a kill. Numbers might make a difference in the grizzlie's mind. Same for lions, etc. I have seen videos on YouTube where a lion charged 4 or 5 men. They all missed him or didn't stop him coming in and he jumped and knocked one guy to the side, rolled, made a u-turn and was shot going away. Sure some of you have seen this. If there'd only been one guy in the picture I doubt the lion would have left the scene. There's another video showing a lion charging several men and he's stopped nearly on top of one of them. What's true for lions may not be so true for bears and vice-versa.

Don