New Sav99 to add to the fold

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

New Sav99 to add to the fold

Post by pdentrem »

I finally received 2 of the guns that mylate Uncle had in his estate. My brother in law is taking the Browning Superposed (1966 vintage) and the Ruger 44 Carbine (Deerstalker). I got the Savage 99 in 300 Savage and Winchester 63. See picture. Included is a break open air rifle Expomatic and a Crossman 150 CO2 pistol in 22 not pictured.

The second picture is showing the lever boss. The stamping is 176. As per previous posts there could be a year mark here, but it is supposed to be a letter. No letter here.
Any ideas? My father believes pre 55 but not sure.
Serial number is 766XXX.
Lever safety
Featherweight barrel
Brass spool
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: New Sav99 to add to the fold

Post by Old Savage »

54 would be stamped with an F. Nice 99 though. But is that a 6 or a G. That is where the letter should be and that would make it a 55. Another thing about terminology - with Winchester people say Pre 64 but then they say Post 64 when is should be Post 63 but I have never heard anyone say it that way.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Sinfully I envy you PD....seems that you have the holy grail in lever guns. Use it well my friend...and...I think you will.

LB
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Its a G not a 6. danny
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I live in a condo and no room for a cow but now a cute philly .....
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, the Savage Model 99F Featherweight was last made in 1940.

IMHO, what you have is a Model 99R, with a stock comb addition. If you remove the forend, the model should be stamped into the action face, near the rotor axle.

Fred & I (and others, I'm sure) have .300 Savage Model 99-EG's from the early 1950's - and love them to death.

JDL
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JDL »

The second model F was introduced in 1955 and discontinued in 1973. The pic looks like an F. Right side of barrel will be marked as such and it should have a barrel boss for the rear sight. Looks like the stamp is 17G which would be 1955, the year of introduction. Nice rifles BTW.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

S/N falls within the second model F range too..
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

Lots of pictures but they are small in size.

The pictures will explain a few things. Dad said that he and his brother both bought their Sav99s at the same time. About 1955 could be 1956 but not after 1959.

Receiver on the lower 99 which is the one from my uncle, has 176 in the oval on the lever boss. I used crayon to bring out the stamping. No letter code.

The receiver is stamped Savage 99 on the left side of the receiver bridge.

Barrel is stamped 99F and Chicopee Falls Mass, while the TD above it is stamped Utica NY.
The barrel is a featherweight, rear sight on a boss.

The receiver, buttstock and buttplate are all stamped 15 FND. Receiver is also marked with a clover leaf and another number set of 260? in an oval as well.

The bolt is machine turned but the TD is only ground (no machine turning).

The checkering is slightly different in style but the coverage is about the same on the buttstock. The comb looks added on to me, by user not factory. Just no a nice enough job.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I stand corrected............ :oops:

pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

Had a thought, both Dad and I do not know whether this Sav 99 is the same one that he had from the beginning. He did buy and sell rifles and shotguns over the years. I do know that the 16 gauges were not there anymore and neither the Auto 5 , 1100, nor the 11-87. He must of sold those in the last few years. He did use them not that long ago. He was a deer hunter and duck hunter most of his life.
He never mentioned anything about trading the Sav, that is why we are both assuming that it is original to the 50s.

He had stopped hunting deer in the last 3 years, turns out that he was sicker than he was letting on. We believe lung cancer was the problem but we, i.e. the family, never knew.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

15 is likely the inspector # but I do not know what FND is.