OT--What gun has been most reliable for you?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

OT--What gun has been most reliable for you?

Post by getitdone1 »

Reliability is number one with me when it comes to guns. I'm sure many of you feel likewise. In other words, a well-made, dependable gun.

What gun or guns have been most reliable for you?

I think we should avoid single shots. :wink:

I've had several very reliable guns but the fact is I've never shot any--other than a Marlin model 39--enough to know for sure. Some of you guys have shot 100X or more than I have so your personal knowledge of reliability means more than mine.

I'm guessing, since I haven't had it long, that my pre-64 model 70 Winchester made in 1950 would "take a lick'en and keep on tick'en" about as well as any. It feeds and extracts exceptionally well. I mean smoooooth.

Are the Winchester lever-actions more reliable than the Marlins, Savages or Brownings?
Is the Winchester model 70 more reliable than the Remington 700 or Sako, etc bolt action?
Is the Ruger single-action handgun more reliable than the Colts?
Is the Ruger double-action or Colt double-action more reliable than the Smith & Wesson?
Is the Glock more reliable than most other semi-auto handguns? My model 19 has never failed me with any load. Is there a more reliable
semi-auto handgun than the Glock? My guess is--no.
Is there a more reliable semi-auto shotgun than the Browning A5 or Remington model 11? Benelli?
Is there a more reliable pump-action shotgun than the Winchester model 12? Remington model 870? Ithaca model 37? Benelli?
Etc., etc.

Don
gak
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT--What gun has been most reliable for you?

Post by gak »

- Revolver: Ruger Vaquero .44 Mag
- Rifle: Win 69A .22 ca 1959, and Pre 64 ('54) 94 .30-30. Also very good luck with abunch of Rossi 92s. Don't have Marlins, so not comparing.
- Special mention: GI (Inland) M1 Carbine - incredibly reliable, but has not seen the use the others have in the last twenty years.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

A 1962 COLT NM 45ACP; 55,000 ROUNDS WITHOUT A SINGLE STOPPAGE, MALF, OR JAM.
A BERSA M23 22LR WITH 20,000 ROUNDS THOUGH IT ALSO WITHOUT A SINGLE STOPPAGE, MALF , OR JAM.
MY KIMBER 45 GOLD MATCH IS PERFECT EVEN WHEN IT BREAKS PARTS [ TWO ] OR GOES FULL AUTO. [ no good PISTOL ]
MY SPRINGFIELD CUSTOM 1911A1 9X23 IS ALSO PERFECT TO DATE AND SHOOTS LIKE A LASER BEAM.

OF COURSE AS WE ALL KNOW ALL SIXGUNS ARE PERFECTION IN AND OF THEMSELVES AND NEED NOT BE EVEN ASKED ABOUT NOR THEIR RELIABILITY CONSIDERED.....just shutup back there in the corner......
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I have played with many guns and the vast majority have been dependable. Now that I have to pick just one, it probley would be my 94 winchester I bought new I think in 1956. Probley everything I have is reliable too.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Pistol: Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 Mag.
Rifle: Winchester 94AE in 356 Win. (had light strikes with rebounding hammer for a short period, but when changed out to non rebound, it has been flawless).

I have complete confidence in these two.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Handgun - Smith & Wesson 1917, Brazilian contract
Rifle - Remington Model 700 lefty
Shotgun - Remington 870 lefty

The one that worked when it needed to - Remington Rand 1911A1. The darned thing is likely still saving some GI's behind. At least, I'd like to think so.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

First thing that came to mind was my Ruger single actions. I can't recall one ever not going bang when I pulled the trigger.

Of course, any gun can be fouled by improper or out of spec ammo. That is a given.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

An old 'generic' (Arcadia Machine & Tool) 1911 clone I have just never jams, despite being dropped on concrete slabs, dropped in gravel, sat on in mud and snow, fallen in horse troughs, and fed pretty much whatever not-split-all-the-way reloaded cases were on hand, topped with odds-and-ends bullets.

I doubt I'll ever get a 'Custom Combat' variant of any kind - how exactly could the $1,500 price tag get me a better-functioning gun...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Pistol: never had a bad one, but I prefer the Ruger Black Hawk

Rifle: my little '94 Trapper has been exceptional and so has my '94 .375 BB, both have had thousands of rounds through their chambers, but never had a K98 Mauser jam up no matter what condition.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Ruger Flat tops.

My old M64 25-35.
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I've been shooting a Model 72 Win .22 since I was a kid. My uncle taught me to shoot on it, and I've aquired it since he passed. Fits me perfect, I've shot dozens of squills and honestly never missed one with it. I've never shot it on paper and I think it would be unlucky to do so....Never jammed, refused to go into battery, or ftf or eject. For me, perfect in every respect. It's the plain one without the peep sight.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

ruger sa.
win. '94.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

jeepnik,
I thought I was the only one who relied on a Brazilian 1917.
Always there
Always ready
Feed it full moon clips
Always goes bang
WHEN THINGS GO BUMP IN THE NIGHT!
One does not feel inadequite.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I know its probably not the answer your lookin for, but ALL OF MINE ARE RELIABLE! If they arnt, I sell them!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

My vote goes to the Winchester 9422, shorts, longs or long rifle any make any type, shoots 'em all. :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Marlin 336 or 1894c. The 336 once got some brush particles in the open bolt which jammed it momentarily. Can't really blame the gun but it might be considered a design flaw affecting reliability in the field.

The 1894 has had one momentary jam which cleared right away. I have shot the most rounds through it, probably 2,000. I also had it in for repair of the ramp.

Winchesters?hahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!!
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Glocks are in another league when it comes to reliability.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Most of my guns are pretty good.

I am most impressed by my Russian-made Makarov.
I have had exactly on failure to eject with that pistol, and I've
put thousands of rounds through it over the last decade or so.
Czech, Russian, American, aluminum-cased, steel-cased,
brass-cased, split-cased(!), FMJ, HP, 95 gr., 100 gr., - it just
doesn't seem to care.

That one malfunction was with the cheapest Russian steel-cased
HPs out there, and I'm not quite sure why it happened. Shake, rack,
tap - BANG - we're back in business.

Least reliable is an RIA 45 - and the Ciener 22 kit for it.

-Stretch
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I've seen Glocks choke, however, out of the box most are more reliable than other brands. My personal G30 has gone over 8-9,000 rounds with what few malfs happened attributable to ammo.

M4 carbine, properly lubed, they run through just about anything.

M240 machine gun. Properly lubed (with the RIGHT kind)......they run forever. There's a reason 80 countries use it.

Lee-Enfield....never had one choke.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

For myself thats an easy answer.
Ithaca Deerslayer.(ones made up to mid 1970,s)
Of all my guns(dont give a hoot if high priced or not)they are the best made/most useful guns I have ever had/have(including M1 garands or Colt HBARs)
It can about do it all.(its easy to carry/works good on small game/birds/skeet/deer/bear/home defense and on and on.

Thats my (what if only one gun,gun)Never have ever had one issue with any of them!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

getitdone1 wrote:Reliability is number one with me when it comes to guns. I'm sure many of you feel likewise. In other words, a well-made, dependable gun.
What gun or guns have been most reliable for you?
Don
I couldn't begin to give you comparisons, as I've never owned several of the guns you mention... but for all time absolute reliability, I'd have to say my Colt SAA (modified). I couldn't guess how many rounds I've shot thru a Colt SAA, but truly, probably the most dependable revolver I've ever owned. While it's been modified, it's only broken one part, that's the mainspring after it's initial "tune-up". Although I keep my Combat Commander in ready condition, I'd not hesitate to carry my Colt SAA for self-defense.

But, for what it's worth: Firearms that I've owned and shot, that have never failed to feed, failed to fire, nor experienced a broken part include:

Winchester 94 (multiple examples), S&W mdl 65-4, Remington 870, Remington 700BDL, Uberti Santa Fe Hawken, oh wait, that's a single shot, and a Walther P-38!

That's it. Every once in a while my 1851s fail to fire, or get a cap jam... same with my Remington 1858, my Marlin 375 will sometimes stutter when workin' the action fast, nor really a jam, just not feed real smoothly when not held right (I run my ammo at max OAL), too many Colt 1911s (or clones) have had magazine issues to be deemed 100% reliable, the only semi-auto that I've had that falls in that level of reliability is that Walther P-38. And, while I've bought a few broken Winchester mdl 94s, once repaired, I've never had one fail on me yet.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I've had nearly every 1911 I've owned choke in some way now and then. I think I'm a 1911 jinx. The only one that didnt choke I didnt shoot much or own long. Have had a Whitworth Mauser fail a time or two, same for a 1903 Springfield or two. Had several Marlin 336/94/95 type malfunctions, had several Ruger transfer bars break. The most reliable over time have been Smith double actions, had one part break in many guns that made it quit, a mainspring in a 22. My favorite K-22 I've shot waaay north of 200k rounds thru with no troubles, and several 29's, one in particular that I've carried heavily with little or no cleaning or maintenance and they always worked. Winchester 86's and 94's seen to be as close to mechanical reliabilty perfection as I've experienced. I've had more malfunctions in AK type rifles than Colt AR's.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

Colt SAA 45 never missed a beat. With my load of 250g RNFP and Universal powder shoots where it looks at 25 yards. If I do my bit properly.
Colt Official Police 38-200 with 158g pill at 630FPS not a power house but goes bang every time and shoots to the sights at 15 yards. Its a treasure and a pleasure to shoot, my wife calls it her gun!!
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I have a Marlin 39a that I have personally fired at least 40,000 rounds, never stuttered, and it was well worn when I got it.

Actually, I cannot recall owning a rifle that was unreliable, but then, I have never owned a Ruger 10-22. :D
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I have two 10-22's
neither one has ever missed a beat.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Of the firearms I own, all seem to function well and have performed what I have demanded of them, so I'll have to go with those that have seniority, i.e. the guns I've owned the longest.

I have (3) guns that have never, not once, failed me in the last 30 years.

(1) Ruger 10/22
(2) Ruger Mini-14
(3) Marlin 336ER in .356Win

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

1)- original early 20th C 1st Gen Colt SAs.

2)- Any 1886 Winchester. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

...well, Don, that is my Henry H001L. It was 100% reliable, right out of the box, and it continues to be so, some 10,000+ rounds later.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Mike D. wrote:...1886 Winchester. :D
Yep, I shoulda included my Browning 1886!

I could've included my Marlin 1894, biut since I tore it down the day I bought it... :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I'm with Griff and Mike D.
I've had a bunch of 1st gen Colt SAAs and have found them to be utterly reliable for the last (what's 14 from 72) years.
But then a Pachmayr customized 1911 Colt commercial went through about half a million rounds for me back when I shot IPSC.
My 1894 Winchester SRC in 25-35 has been very reliable too but then I've only fired it a couple of thousand rounds.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

tman wrote:Glocks are in another league when it comes to reliability.
My G36 would stovepipe with aluminum blazer....brass ammo was flawless.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Mescalero wrote:jeepnik,
I thought I was the only one who relied on a Brazilian 1917.
Always there
Always ready
Feed it full moon clips
Always goes bang
WHEN THINGS GO BUMP IN THE NIGHT!
One does not feel inadequite.

I bought it on a whim. Darned thing turned out to have the nicest trigger of everything I own, including a couple of custom jobs. The finish is original so a couple more scratches won't matter.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Same here, best whim I ever had.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Except mine now wears a six inch bull barrel with a BoMar rib on it, like shooting a .22.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Ruger .45 revolvers have all been great. I've often thought if I was told to get on a plane, not told where I was going, and could only bring one handgun, it'd be a ruger SA revolver.

Now, much as I love my levers, if I had only ONE rifle to bring, not knowing where, it'd be a Mauser '98 bolt gun.
Certified gun nut
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Revolver would have to be my Ruger Vaquero in 45colt.
Rifle is no doubt my Enfield No4Mk1
Although my Stevens 200 has been impressing me a lot lately.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Based on the most rounds fired, these are the ones that I rank highest. I have others that haven't failed, but I haven't fired them as much as these.

Rifle: Browning BLR 308
Shotgun: Winchester model 12
pistol: Colt targetsmen
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My Ruger Blackhawk 4 5/8 inch barrel .45 Colt has never failed me.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

.22 rifle:Remington 550-1, bought new in 1953 no problems.

1892 Winchester rifle 32wcf dated 1917, bought in 1954 no problems.

Handgun: Colt SAA .45 Colt bought in 1959, made in 1957 12 rounds through it when I bought it. No problems.

I have fired several rounds through these three and they do just like they are made to do, GO BANG WHEN I PULL THE TRIGGER.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

BlaineG wrote:
tman wrote:Glocks are in another league when it comes to reliability.
My G36 would stovepipe with aluminum blazer....brass ammo was flawless.

Forgot to mention, the ex's G-19 choked a number of times with the original non-drop free mags. The new style mags worked pretty well, tho I think it choked once or twice with them.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I guess the one I have fired most is 6,000 through a S&W Model 24 44 Special. Then there is a K22 with ?? thousands since 1966 and a Springfield Arms 1911 with about 5,000.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Most of my Winchester lever-actions are very reliable
my 32WS has feeing problems once in a while, so does my 38-55...but only w/ reloads
My Marlins 30AS is alway relialble

My Winchester model 70 is just as reliable as the Remington 700 or any others
hard to screw up a bolt gun.

wheel guns, Ya cant beat the Smith & Wessons...IMO although I like others as well

Something about Glock that does not appeal to me..Shot them..thay work fine
never had a problem I just prefer a smith

For shotguns its all about fit!
I have shot the Browning A5 or Remington model 1100 and 1187, berettas
and other...all good guns..all reliable if you keep'em clean...
Right now I shoot my beratta the most...and the 1187 for hunting..

I have shot the Winchester model 12, Remington model 870,
Ithaca model 37, and Benellis....all great guns but I prefer the Rem 870
they have never missed a beat..

accuracy is a whole other story...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
jcw
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jcw »

Interesting topic. I have not had any serious trouble with any of the firearms I own. The two guns that I have that I could consider "most reliable" are the two with the most rounds fired. first is a Ruger 10/22 that I bought new in 1974. Untold thousands of rounds run through it. The second is a Ruger Security Six purchased new in 1976. My records show I am nearing 10,000 rounds through the thing. A third of them have been full house loads, the rest a mid range load. I am considering sending this revolver back to the factory as it's starting to show it's age.
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

DAV life member.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Never had an S&W revolver let me down.

7000 rounds through my G19 and only one stoppage and that was me goofin' around.

But the one rifle that I'll go anywhere and in any condition because it's been through the wringer ins Grandpa's
1903 Springfield Sporter / .30-'06.

I'll be cold and dead when I give that one up.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"