Another OT question for you Harley drivers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Another OT question for you Harley drivers

Post by J Miller »

OK, my history:
Regular pedal bikes since before dirt was invented.
One dirt bike; vicious, mean hearted, sadistic machine, darn near ripped my leg off when it kicked back at start up. It was my friends and that's the only thing that stopped me from shooting it.

Question;
Just how hard is it for a old phat dude to learn how to drive a Harley?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Another OT question for you Harley drivers

Post by Blaine »

Not at all. Get one you can put down both feet flat, or nearly so, on the ground. If you can't pick it up, don't get it :wink: Unless you're going to tour on it, a nice, basic Sportster would be a good one. All the rice burners are excellent and much cheaper, too.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

The little 883 or 1200 sportster is low and real easy to ride.

Joe if nothing else just for me remember, remember to allways look where you need to be, not what you are scared you are going to hit. Doing that will allways turn the bike no matter how fast, trust me!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Don't do it Joe, not where you live.
azzhandler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azzhandler »

I would say it depends on how good of a rider you are, if your just beginning to ride, the sportster is a great bike to learn on, if you are mainly going to use it for around town and short trips, the sportsters work great for that, but if you are going to take longer trips or ride on the freeway much, the bigger bikes are much more comfortable. I love my roadking but I ride my sportster back and forth to work and around town
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I have a 74 year old friend who is about 5'4
and rides an 800# decked out honda...

I think you can do it!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Do what ya want, just be sure it`s safe. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

J Miller wrote:OK, my history:
Regular pedal bikes since before dirt was invented.
One dirt bike; vicious, mean hearted, sadistic machine, darn near ripped my leg off when it kicked back at start up. It was my friends and that's the only thing that stopped me from shooting it.

Question;
Just how hard is it for a old phat dude to learn how to drive a Harley?

Joe
I haven't got to ride mine as much as would like this year :( but the newer harleys sure have come along way from the days of old.smooth as glass six speed gear boxes and no problem with 44-48 mpg on the open road.maybe a bit better if I slowed down some :lol: .

DAV life member.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Like the Guys have said, the 883 is a grat place to start.

However a Honda Shadow or something similar will ge a lot cheaper.

My Dad got his MC lic. @ 63. He went out and bought a Royal Enfield.
Cutest darned thing you ever saw but it was just ike his old MG. Always
something wrong with it.

Harley's are way cool but if you want cheap and reliable
it's hard to heat the Japanese. That's all I've
ever had and can't complain about any one of them.

Even rode my first one to the bottom of a 9' deep channel.
The old man had it out and running an hour later.
But that's another story. :D

And the truest thing said so far: If you can't lift it off it's side then Don't buy it!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
azzhandler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azzhandler »

picking up I Harley touring bike is no problem at all, here is something that my cousin patented, I can lift my roadking up off its side with 1 finger, www.uprightmfg.com check out the video, I know it is not for everyone, but it works great, I use mine to lay my bike over on it's side to detail the underneath
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Harley offers MC training course. I recommend them. You will be up and riding same day, you will learn safety and handling technigues and by the end of the course, normally two days, you will have all the info to pass your MC exam and the skills. then years of safe riding will continue the learning process. I have been on harleys for 30 years. I have taken the beginner and advance courses. And logged hundreds of thousands of road miles. No finer way to travel than on two wheels.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Harley Lowrider or Softail Custom with a lowering kit is the way to go !

I've seen some that the seats where down to 20"-22" just don't forget to put your feet down when u stop !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

rjohns94 wrote:Harley offers MC training course. I recommend them. You will be up and riding same day, you will learn safety and handling technigues and by the end of the course, normally two days, you will have all the info to pass your MC exam and the skills. then years of safe riding will continue the learning process. I have been on harleys for 30 years. I have taken the beginner and advance courses. And logged hundreds of thousands of road miles. No finer way to travel than on two wheels.
Mike,
Thanks for that info. Should I pursue this I'll check it out.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

best time I ever had.

ft lewis

HAAF 66 FLH
DAV life member.
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

I just got back from a small 330km ride on my Sportster with a mate up to Maldon here in Victoria.

Joe, Ive only been riding motorbikes for one year and bought my Harley new last September.

If I can do it at 25, I am sure you can!

2ndovc, Joe wants a Harley and you recommend a Honda shadow? :mrgreen:
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
azzhandler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azzhandler »

with " very little " practice you can ride like some of these guy's :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Re4-vw6 ... re=related

( turn volume up )
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

azzhandler wrote:with " very little " practice you can ride like some of these guy's :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Re4-vw6 ... re=related

( turn volume up )
That sums it up. I cringed at everyone of those. I'm fortunate that I started driving like an old man years ago. Slow and painless.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

My friend in Glendale, AZ has a Goldwing. If I wanted one of those and I have nothing against them, he'd probably teach me to ride his. Probably not a bad idea either. But the way I look at things, unless something radically changes in my life I might have time left for one bike.
Might as well make it a Harley.

Joe
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I also have a Heritage Softtail. That said, I also like the Fatboy. Plan on putting some Fatboy rims on my Heritage.

I like the balanced engine, some don't. Built too many engines to "appreciate" the shaking. If you are short legged, you might think about the Fatboy Low. My pant legs are 33" and the Heritage fits me fine, as well as the standard Fatboy. I wanted the saddlebags and windshield, so thats how I ended up with the Heritage.

Tried the sportster, didn't like it, but many do.

I didn't ride at all between '84 and 2006. Got on a bike, just like I had ridden the week before. All came back to me in about 5 min. I would recommend taking the Motorcycle basic course. Learned alot even tho I had a paltry 20K under my belt so to speak.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

My erstwhile Goldwing was the Rolls Royce of burning up the Highway miles in absolute silence and comfort, but it was a PITA around town, and creeping around in traffic. Very hard to handle and heavy handling. There is prolly no better bike than them, though. The Harley is more like me: a little different, loud, and it clanks alot when it shifts. :P

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Joe !! U know Bikers R like Levergunners- They won' try to talk U out of it no matter how FOOLISH it is. LOL So what does the Wife say ? just askin. I have found that My equo has went south for some unknown reason, maybe age idk. Any how I would Love to ride again but a little scared so best to leave it alone. If Ur up to it Go for It.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Blaine,

Loud, noisy, and clanks alot when it shifts.

HaHa, sounds like me too.

Perry,
Mrs J Miller is um how do I best describe this ??? She's humorously intrigued. I doubt she'd stop me if the funds were available, but she probably would take a lot of coaxing to ride with me.

Joe
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

A Harley , Indian or Triumph all fall in the same category .

When asked why you ride/drive one you can use Pitchy's motto !

BECAUSE I CAN ! :lol:
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

J Miller wrote:Blaine,

Loud, noisy, and clanks alot when it shifts.

HaHa, sounds like me too.

Perry,
Mrs J Miller is um how do I best describe this ??? She's humorously intrigued. I doubt she'd stop me if the funds were available, but she probably would take a lot of coaxing to ride with me.

Joe
Like all gun fighters and bikers ride first and ask questions later. :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

My advice is to first, take a motorcycle safety course, before you even purchase your first bike, it could save your life. I rode some as a Teenager, had a couple of wrecks, and was pretty lucky.

When I turned about 45, I decided to start riding again. I took a safety course, first. What I learned in that 2 day course, has saved my life more then once. I am 54 now and still riding, but I am sad to say, I have personally known several people over the last 10-15yrs that have been killed on motorcycles.

OK, now the bikes. I am about 5'-10", and 240lbs, for your info. I started out on a 1200 sportster. It was a pretty good bike, but one thing I don't like about a sportster is the back end will get break loose pretty easy, and I scared myself several times, and had several close calls.

I have test rode quite a few metric bikes, and some were probably pretty good machines, but my first love is Harleys, not nessairly because they are better, but I like them better.
I ended up selling the Sportster, and getting a 98 Wide Glide, and I still have it. It is my favorite bike, because I like the ride and handling, or maybe I have just gotten used to the ride and handling, either way it's still my favorite.

I also own an 04 Roadking. I purchased it thinking I would then sell the old Wide Glide, but I never like the Roadking well enough to keep it as my only bike.

A small jap bike would be fine for a starter bike, maybe something in the 750 to 1100 class. Personally I would stay away from the Sporster, and get a big twin if you do go Harley. Also, I would stay away from the low rider type bikes, unless you really are short, as the suspension is often not as good as the taller bikes. In general the Harley Softtails are a little lower then the Dyna's. The Softtails have the balanced engines, and the Dyna's have the rubber mounted engines. Generally a Dyna, like my Wide Glide will shake at idle but smooths out at speed, the Softtails are smoother at idle.

Don't buy an 05 Harley, as they were known for excess oil consumption, as there were some changes made that year. I wouldn't buy and 06 Dyna either as that was the first year they come out with the 6 speed tranny and it had some issues. On the older used Harleys the 02 used to be considered to be the best of the Twin Cam's for a few years there, but I have not heard much in the way of problems in the 03's and 04's. But 05's and 06's I would be scared of unless it's a real good deal.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Now, what would I purchase today, after 9 or so years of fairly steady riding? Well, I am not real sure. But I would take a close look at another Dyna Wide Glide, or a Softtail Heritage Classic, or maybe a Harley SoftTail Custom. Maybe if I was going to do a lot of touring, I might consider a Harley touring bike, or even a GoldWing, but no more touring then I do, I would not own one for my one and only bike, but that's just me. A Softtail Heritage is as close to a Touring bike as I need, and even a Dyna Wide Glide set up right is all I need even for touring. But that is my Opinion, everyone's different.

Whatever you get, you will probably find out that the seat is stuff and you will want an aftermarket seat, like a Mustang for any ride over 3 hrs. You will probably want different handlebars, etc. Just remember extra Chrome won't get you home, but some people do think you look a lot better pushing it down the road if it has extra chrome on it. :D

One reason I like Harleys, is there are lots of Independent shops that work on Harleys, so you have more choices of places to get work done, if needed, and custom parts are everywhere, if you need to change something, and most bikers will want to change some stuff. Also, Older Harleys are a lot easier to find new parts for then older metric bikes, and the dealers often won't even work on older bikes, but the Independent shops that work on Harleys will usually work on any year bike. But I know a Metric Independent, that has a sign that says, he will only work on bikes 15yrs old or newer, and many espacally Metric dealers will try to cut that in half. Just something to think about.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Another thing, is whatever you do, take a safety course first, before you get a bike. It just might save your life. Don't drink and ride, and be careful about night riding, as visibility is more limited, deer are more active, Drunks in cages are more active, etc.

And if you have small kids, maybe this isn't a good time in you life to get a bike, and wear a good helmet. I am not trying to pour cold water on your disire to own a bike, but it is dead serious business, and deserves careful thought.
NRA Life Member, Patron
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Lastmohecken wrote:Another thing, is whatever you do, take a safety course first, before you get a bike. It just might save your life. Don't drink and ride, and be careful about night riding, as visibility is more limited, deer are more active, Drunks in cages are more active, etc.

And if you have small kids, maybe this isn't a good time in you life to get a bike, and wear a good helmet. I am not trying to pour cold water on your disire to own a bike, but it is dead serious business, and deserves careful thought.

+1
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:wink: Most people drop their scoots going very slow and turning.....

:o If you're in a twisty and hit rocks or something, don't brake or you'll lose the rear end at once. Just try to steer thru it and gently back off the throttle :wink:

The new Ultra Classis has ABS, and I have no idea whatsoever how they "feel" when applied hard enough to activate the ABS......I've been pretty gentle so far. :oops:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Well, after trying to ride my pedal bike and crashing today, I'm gonna have to relearn to ride. Oh do my leg smart .... ouch, ouch, ouch, waaaaaaaaa :cry:

Joe
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Other than someone pulling out in front of you sand on corners and oil in intersections are two bad ones.
Most accidents happen from reckless driving and speed, we used to say, there are old riders and bold riders but there ain`t no old bold riders.
We always called our riding putting because we just putted around having fun and rode slow, heck i never had a front brake on a bike till recent years because i never needed one or i was just lucky maybe.
I have over 250,000 miles on just big bikes and have never had a bad accident but i have a lot of respect for motorcycles and a guardian Angel.
A lot of good advice, now days a safety course is probably a good idea because the traffic is so much faster and people don`t care as much.
Think it over real good, if ya want a bike get one, take it slow, practice in a field or parking lot first until you feel confident before going out in traffic.
We`d hate to see ya get hurt Joe.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Pitchy wrote:Most accidents happen from reckless driving and speed, we used to say, there are old riders and bold riders but there ain`t no old bold riders.
To quote a movie "There's a NEED for SPEED" and even though I'll be fifty in a few weeks I still live by that !

However I don't have a roadbike as we speak which is most likely a good thing :lol:
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Quite a few people actually get killed when riding their bikes at even moderate speeds and they dont realize the bike works on sort of a gyroscope type front end.

What I mean is when going very slow and say your turning right and your pulling back some on your right handlebar(now,taking the leaning deal out of the equation) your bike turns right.

Now,speed it up some(say 30mph)going down the straight road. Pull back some on the right side bar---and you turn right? NOPE!
Your bike will immediately goes LEFT! Anyone that dont believe it try it and see(at your own risk)

You get someone thats not that experienced taking a corner that should be taken at 35mph,their doing 45 they are leaning pretty good but feel they still need to turn more they start to pull on the bar(right corner/they pull right bar)they veer suddenly left and wham right smack into a tree!

Another thing,when coming to a 4-way intersection and that car is coming up pretty good to the stop sign and you have been already there.(wait)dont assume they will stop.Cant tell you many times I have waited a split second extra to see and the darn car/truck ran the sign and would have wiped me out!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

madman4570 wrote:Quite a few people actually get killed when riding their bikes at even moderate speeds and they dont realize the bike works on sort of a gyroscope type front end.

What I mean is when going very slow and say your turning right and your pulling back some on your right handlebar(now,taking the leaning deal out of the equation) your bike turns right.

Now,speed it up some(say 30mph)going down the straight road. Pull back some on the right side bar---and you turn right? NOPE!
Your bike will immediately goes LEFT! Anyone that dont believe it try it and see(at your own risk)

You get someone thats not that experienced taking a corner that should be taken at 35mph,their doing 45 they are leaning pretty good but feel they still need to turn more they start to pull on the bar(right corner/they pull right bar)they veer suddenly left and wham right smack into a tree!

Another thing,when coming to a 4-way intersection and that car is coming up pretty good to the stop sign and you have been already there.(wait)dont assume they will stop.Cant tell you many times I have waited a split second extra to see and the darn car/truck ran the sign and would have wiped me out!

Spot on :D Counter steering is another name for it, it has saved my bacon many times :D

Push bike will show it to you too.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I am a old time rider but havent rode in a long time. I had 3 harley dressers and many britt bikes. The problem wont be learning to ride, but conversly, getting too much confidence too fast!
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Joe,
Have fun with whatever you decide. Riding a Harley is the best stress reliever I've ever found. You never see a Harley in front of a psychiatrist's office.. :lol: My first harley was a sportster but I never really liked it. Probably because I'm 6'4 and it felt like I was sitting on top of it rather than "in" it like a full size Harley. Felt like a dirt bike to me.

Lots of guys used to tell women that wanted to ride to get sportsters. I've talked to several that wished they had bought a bigger bike. In my opiniopn the full size bikes are easier to ride and have better balance.

Like others said, take a training course. My suggestion would be to take a training course and then rent a Harley a couple times to see if you really like it.
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

DAV life member.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Pete, at 9:47 there is no chance in the world this dial up box will download it. :x

joe