OT - I shot an M1A today !

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

OT - I shot an M1A today !

Post by 6pt-sika »

Shot a "Loaded" M1A for the first time today !

Belongs to my gunsmith buddy , he just took it in a trade and he sold it to the trader when it was new . The guy claimed he only shot the gun 20 times and it looked as if thats all he fired it !

We took it out today with Hornady 180 grain hunting ammo and shot it some . Let me just say it was real real easy to hit the steel ram at 200 meters in the kill zone from the bench with the plain old mil sights !

On paper at 100 yards we were able to shoot some 3 shot 1 1/2" groups !

Now he;s decided we need to get a "good" mount for it and put one of the new Redfield 4-12's on top ! Which is fine by me , I'll just have to borrow it to wack a deer this season !

Lastly I am sorry to say I failed to take any pics of this rifle , but then again it's kinda if you've seen one M1A you've seen them all !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Hobie

Re: OT - I shot an M1A today !

Post by Hobie »

They are often great shooters. I'm afraid the scope sights ruin them for me but they can be handy.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Hobie wrote:They are often great shooters. I'm afraid the scope sights ruin them for me but they can be handy.
+1
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Hobie wrote: I'm afraid the scope sights ruin them for me but they can be handy.

This thing is like the AR platform to me .

I see it as something I'd like to kill a deer with and then my intrest in it's probably over .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Took a couple pics of the M1A today in the shop :wink:

Now the plan is to mount a Redfield 4-12x on top !
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

6pt-sika wrote:
Hobie wrote:I'm afraid the scope sights ruin them for me but they can be handy.
This thing is like the AR platform to me .

I see it as something I'd like to kill a deer with and then my intrest in it's probably over .
I lean the other way on the weapon but totally agree on dropping the scope. It was my weapon in the Army way back when and I've since got to shoot one a few times over the year. I've got a lot of respect for them and it's a ton of fun to shoot long distance. In basic training, I qualified expert with it and won our company championship. Then I competed against the other company's best shooters on the 600 meter course. None of us had ever shot open sights that far before but after a short refresher by the DIs, we went out and 'had at it'. I was very impressed with it's long range performance using a stock training rifle and ball ammo. I came in 2nd out of 12 companies so I think I did fine.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
450ak
Levergunner

Post by 450ak »

The M1A and M14 have the finest sights on any rifle. Once you learn them and the use of a 1907 sling, you are a rifleman. If I was emperor, the M1A rear sight would be on every rifle sold and you would have to apply to the DCM for a scope. I love my M1A super match, well into the third barrel shooting High Power and it just gets better and better.
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

I sold mine a few years ago but still have my socom 16.just a heads up these rifles have to operate on the right pressure curve as they still use a op-rod and 180 gr bullets are a no-go!.hunting ammo is a no-go also as the pressure is wrong and bending a op-rod can happen.

http://www.m14.ca/reloading/14_loading.pdf

remember IMR 4895 is your friend and AA2520 for reloading the M1A.

pete
DAV life member.
Tom Richardson
Shootist

Post by Tom Richardson »

If you have seen one you haven't seen them all.

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Yep, M1A's are great. My Scout/Squad sure would have been nice to have 40 years ago.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

txpete wrote:I sold mine a few years ago but still have my socom 16.just a heads up these rifles have to operate on the right pressure curve as they still use a op-rod and 180 gr bullets are a no-go!.hunting ammo is a no-go also as the pressure is wrong and bending a op-rod can happen.

Hmmmm , I called Springfield Armory after reading this and they didn't agree .
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Super shooters! I had mt NM out the other day and slammed the 385 meter turkey 5 quick shots into 3 or 4 inches. Tell your bud not to buy the cheapy scope mount. 'ya need the new 4th gen. Springfield Armory mount that costs near what a scope does. --------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Sixgun wrote:Super shooters! I had mt NM out the other day and slammed the 385 meter turkey 5 quick shots into 3 or 4 inches. Tell your bud not to buy the cheapy scope mount. 'ya need the new 4th gen. Springfield Armory mount that costs near what a scope does. --------Sixgun

Yeah , he's already said the mount he wants is over $200 . I "assume" thats not a cheapy one :o
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

txpete wrote:just a heads up these rifles have to operate on the right pressure curve as they still use a op-rod and 180 gr bullets are a no-go!.hunting ammo is a no-go also as the pressure is wrong and bending a op-rod can happen.
?????????????

From everything I've read, I'm wondering if txpete isn't mistakenly referring to the M1 Garand rather than the M1A.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

I also shoot the M1...alot

now click on the link go down to page 10 and read to page 18 or so.I have been shooting the M1A(NM) and the M1 for years.its your rifles do what you want. :wink: I won't shoot that stuff in mine.

http://www.m14.ca/reloading/14_loading.pdf
DAV life member.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sixgun wrote:Super shooters! I had mt NM out the other day and slammed the 385 meter turkey 5 quick shots into 3 or 4 inches. Tell your bud not to buy the cheapy scope mount. 'ya need the new 4th gen. Springfield Armory mount that costs near what a scope does. --------Sixgun
+1 Like so many other things in life, you really get what you pay for. I am not against using bargain stuff sometimes - just depends on what the need is. For the M1A, with the accuracy potential this gun has, you really need to spend the coin on a proper mount and scope.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

http://www.smithenterprise.com/products09.html
This is the mount I used on my M-14 in Iraq in 2003 and I have on my M-1A super match.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

But mine's not a Springfield.
Slow is just slow.
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

I'm sorry on a daily basis that I ever let my own Supermatch M1A go. 300yds. across a shallow open valley in a small African country, with a big rock to hide behind.... wasn't sufficient safety margin to let a bad guy escape from those match sights.

'nuff said .