OT- I'm a land owner!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

OT- I'm a land owner!

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Well, almost... contract signed.

Well, we've been looking for some land in central Mississippi. We picked this area because we have good friends there, it's centrally located for my work (I cover the whole country) and also for getting to our family members. The cost of land there is also still reasonable compared to most other places = like around $2000 per acre - or less depending on what you purchase (timber value).

We found a very nice place with everything that we wanted - 19 year old pines and mature hardwoods in the bottoms - has a creek coming on and off on one side too. Very pretty. Lots of deer - and this area has turkeys, dove, along with squirrel, rabbit, and all kinds of varmints. Didn't see any sign of hogs but they say they are coming...

Here's an arial shot of the land:

We're going to have a 15' wide road cut all the way around the property along with a home site cleared, pond site and several food plots - probably around 7 or 8 acres of clearing - and we may have the pines "thinned". This should generate some income back to cover the down payment on the land. This is a pine farm - in agricultural exempt status.

We will then have the electric, water and phone run to the property - this is all free beleive it or not - we just pay for the "on-land" hook-ups which is minimal. The county also installs a culvert at your entrance - also free. I guess they like getting new tax payers to move there... :)

I want to look into solar power, my own well, etc. - after we get other things out of the way.

We are very excited and making our plans. The pond should be about 20' deep - there are some nice deep ravines to utilize for this. I'm looking at construction methods to utilize for our house = I want to "pay as I go" on this and build it myself. I will probably use the compressed styrofoam blocks that you install yourself, insert rebar and then have cement pumped into the cavety in the middle - forming an insulated 4 or 6" thick cement wall.

We'll probably build a small "guest house" that we will convert to a shop and garage space later before we start on the house = this will give us the opportunity to start with something easier/smaller and see how it goes and what it really costs...

I'm pumped though!!! Can't wait to get it closed (three weeks) and the improvements underway.

And I really can't wait for hunting season this fall :D

I have a great wife!! She decided to come out and look at the "finalist" properties with me and help decide which one to go with - very good feeling to see her all excited along with me.

Closing is in three weeks.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT- I'm a land owner!

Post by Slick »

Congrat’s man! I know just how terrific you feel as I had a goal of owning 10+ acres before I turned 40 and I found my land the day before my 40th.

Having a nice piece of land will bring you energy for projects that you thought was long gone. Be sure to make putting in your shooting range a priority as you’ll want a spot to relax and take breaks with all the work you’re gonna be doing.
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Thanks :) and you can bet on that shooting range! Right off, I can just set-up on the road that's cleared through about 3/4 of the property and shoot down that... but yes, eventually, I'll have a shoothouse and set berms - as out as far as I can go :)

I looked in Texas for land before nixing - too darned expensive...
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

very nice and the people down there are great.oh BTW west Texas land can be cheap if your not taxed on the snakes :lol: .
DAV life member.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

You need to update your blog! :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Hobie wrote:You need to update your blog! :wink:
:lol: Yeah, some blogger I am. :P

I did that on a whim... probably should just kill it. But I guess I could add a couple more blatherings :)
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Congrates big time! :D Thats a nice chunk of land to which you and your family can do anything you want and is only limited to time and energy spent. So many possibilities that will give you guys endless enthusiasm and happiness. :D

'Ya know, I really think man is a weird creature. We like others around us but we like our solitude even more. I have signs around here that say "Keep Out" and "You Loot--We Shoot". That land should give 'ya all the solitude you need.----------Good Luck---------------Sixgun
Model A Uzi’s
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

When that bulldozer is out there road-making and pond-making, make a BIG embankment up in the best direction for a range backstop.

Also, consider making the range-house be part of your house - balcony or deck or something, so when you get old and hate stairs and bad weather, you can shoot out to your range from just a few feet away from your workshop/gunroom.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Yeah, I need to think about having a clearing cut for the shooting lane too.... and maybe if I make the shoothouse with sound supressing stuff, I could have it near the house - but it gets kinda loud... :)

I can always lay a path down and when I get old... just aim the "rascal" to the shoot house :lol: maybe I can make a little trailer for the guns and ammo :lol: :shock: :lol:
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: big time jealous...congrats
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Very, very nice, happy for ya. 8) :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Paul Jenkins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul Jenkins »

Wow, Something I've dreamed of all my life. I do have a nice home but the prospect of
property like that is awesome. Enjoy your good fortune & good luck. Have fun & pride in your
land.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Congratulations. Nothing like having your own land.
Old Law Dawg
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Thanks guys. Just remember that a nice house in the suburbs can buy lots of land in the right place... :)
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Cool - congrats!!! 8) :mrgreen: :D
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

GOOD FOR YA'LL, I know you'll enjoy it.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Congratulations!

If you have a small stream you might look into a small scale hydro plant.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Sweet! ! Sounds like a great adventure !
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Congrat’s as well... 8)
Just out of curiosity, how are the property & school taxes in that area
on that amount of property?
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

O.S.O.K. I know you will love having the property. I bought 60 acres in Kentucky because we could aford it and it had no restrictions. There is nothing like hunting on your own place and haveing a shooting range. If your like me put up some game camera's. I enjoy watching my deer herd grow every year. Good luck and let us know how the house goes. I hear those concrete and foam houses are really warm in cold areas and cool in warm areas.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Again, thank you guys for the kind words :)

I definately intend to get some infrared game cameras - I will use one or two for security purposes too - as we won't be on the property at first and will have a building there... the infrared type don't have a visable flash but will show who might be calling on our property... not that this has been known to be a problem in the area.

And everything I'm seeing about the styro blocks is positive from cost to ease of do-it-yourself placement/construction to quality of the structure once it's done. We will start with the smaller building first to get practice and check the real cost of this method in-practice.

The creek is too small for any electricity generation - I would be all over that otherwise. The best bet for off-the-grid electriciy without running water there is solar - very little wind. But, there's plenty of wood to be had to warm and cook over in the cool months.

Taxes are very low on the property as its a tree farm, so it carries an agricultural exemption - somethink like $6/acre/year, so not bad. There is an income tax in Mississippi right now though - something we don't have here in Texas. The property tax may change once we move there - I think you pay residential on your house/1 acre kind of thing - still not bad from what I understand.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!