OT: light loads for the 30-06

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

OT: light loads for the 30-06

Post by J Miller »

A couple years ago several members started posts about light loads for the 30-06. I basically ignored them as I personally don't see the need. Duh, short sighted dufas I am.
Anyway I have a need to load up a box of them now and have no clue where to start. Does anybody remember those threads? Or can they point me to some data for say a 150gr bullet at 30-30 velocities?

TIA

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT: light loads for the 30-06

Post by JNG »

I use 44 grains of Varget with my Garand. Accurate and very light kick. Might be a bit higher the the 30-30, or what you are looking for.
By the way Mid-south is having a sale on 308 blems at this time.
Joe
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

The 150's will start quite a bit more than a 30-30 even in reduced loads. About 2450 is as slow as you can get with consistency. The reduced load leaves too much case room. You have to pick a powder with 90% or so capacity that still throws the bullet out moderately and with low recoil. I've used 32 grains of IMR3031 with the 150 grain to get 2600 fps and that is considered a light load.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

JNG,
Thanks for the heads up on the blems. I'll check 'em out.

86er,
Thanks. Last time I was at the range with my Marlin MR-7 I tried to get my wife to shoot it. NO! Was the answer. She will shoot Win 94s in 30-30 so I got to thinking about the reduced loads.
A 150 at 2600 out of the heavier Marlin might have a similar feel as a 150 out of a Win 94 so that just might do it.

:mrgreen: I just realized, we're all named "Joe". :lol:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Joe,
Whats the matter with a cast gas checked bullet at 1800-2000? Its all I use in 30-30's, 30-06's, 30-40's, the various 32 caliber big bore centerfires. A dose of 5744 does a great job. In fact, its all I use in everything from 25 caliber to 45 caliber---except .223's and other "speciality loads".

The bullets are cheap, (if you cast) the light powder charges are cheap, the brass lasts just about forever, and..............they will hit small things out to 500 meters and beyond........easily.----------Sixgun
Model A Uzi’s
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

13.0 grains of Red Dot with a 150 grain bullet will get about 1400 fps in a 30-06...........so will 18.0 grains of Trail Boss powder.

I know you said 30-30 velocities, however these are economical and fun. :wink:

:D Thanks, and have fun. Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Sixgun,
Nothing wrong with cast bullets if you like them and are set up to load them.
I like cast from handguns but I like jacketed from rifles. I just don't shoot enough rifles to justify the expense of getting set up. And I do not currently cast. Maybe someday I'll get back into it.

CEMENTHEAD,
Those are interesting for light loads. But a bit lighter than I wanted to go.

Joe
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Why not get a chamber adapter that will allow you to shoot a .32 ACP or .30 Mauser in your '06.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Rusty wrote:Why not get a chamber adapter that will allow you to shoot a .32 ACP or .30 Mauser in your '06.
Naw, that's not the idea.
J Miller wrote:A couple years ago several members started posts about light loads for the 30-06. I basically ignored them as I personally don't see the need. Duh, short sighted dufas I am.
Anyway I have a need to load up a box of them now and have no clue where to start. Does anybody remember those threads? Or can they point me to some data for say a 150gr bullet at 30-30 velocities?

TIA

Joe
You see the idea of loading "A" box of 150gr bullets at 30-30 velocities from the 30-06 is a one time deal to try and get my wife to shoot this rifle. I want her feed back on it. After that, the chances of it getting fed light loads is nil to none.
Joe
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Joe, if your main goal is just getting her a 'feel' for the rifle and lighter loads, you might consider just picking up a box of the "accelerator" loads that are saboted 55 grain .223 bullets. They basically have no recoil. You still see them now and again, OR you could just get the 'kit' and reload them yourself.

My thought is that if she shoots the gun and likes it with a no/low-recoil load like the accelerators, then you may be investing your time well to seek that 150-grain jacketed 'light' load for her; if she doesn't like shooting it even with the accelerator-type loads, then there's no point in pursuing it further.

You can load the sabots yourself if you can't find factory ones - http://www.ammo-one.com/SABOT.html
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

AJMD429 wrote:Joe, if your main goal is just getting her a 'feel' for the rifle and lighter loads, you might consider just picking up a box of the "accelerator" loads that are saboted 55 grain .223 bullets. They basically have no recoil. You still see them now and again, OR you could just get the 'kit' and reload them yourself.

My thought is that if she shoots the gun and likes it with a no/low-recoil load like the accelerators, then you may be investing your time well to seek that 150-grain jacketed 'light' load for her; if she doesn't like shooting it even with the accelerator-type loads, then there's no point in pursuing it further.

You can load the sabots yourself if you can't find factory ones - http://www.ammo-one.com/SABOT.html

Hmmmm, forgot about them. There's a gun show coming up in a couple weeks. I'll keep my eyes pealed for some.

Didn't Remington or someone make some reduced power loads some time back? Like I said up above I never paid any attention to them.

Joe
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

DAV life member.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

txpete,

Thanks for the link, but it won't give me powder charge unless I pay for a membership.

Joe
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

sorry joe I am cheap also :lol: .IIRC the speer #13 has some reduced loads listed in it.when I get back to my notes I can look for them.

pete
DAV life member.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Pete,

Speer #13 had reduced loads? OK, I got that one, I'll just have to dig it out.

Joe
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Here is a cool article about using trail boss.
http://www.surplusrifle.com/articles200 ... /index.asp
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Jeremy,

Cool. Someday perhaps, but not now.

Joe
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

txpete wrote:sorry joe I am cheap also :lol: .IIRC the speer #13 has some reduced loads listed in it.when I get back to my notes I can look for them.

pete
Pete,

Thanks for the tip. I dug out the Speer #13 and found what you were talking about.

Speer #13; Page 296:
LAB NOTE...
Look at the H4895 data above. The start load of 42.0 grains duplicates the performance of the 30-30 with the same bullet weight. This is an excellent load for training new shooters.
The bullet weight with this data is a 150gr jacketed. Just what I wanted from the start.

Joe
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Joe,

Remington loads up some 125gr "Managed Recoil" .30-06 ammo. I thought of that right away but assumed you wanted to load up bunches of the stuff. If all you're looking for is a box then this stuff could be just the ticket. It supposedly has less than 50% of the recoil of regular .30-06 loadings.

My Lyman manual shows 55gr of H-4831 to be the starting minimum load for 110, 125, and 130gr jacketed bullets. All give about 2550fps. Well heck, a 110 grainer at 2550 would be mighty light. And by the way, 61.5gr is listed as maximum for all of those bullet weights.

Have a ball. (Ahem...bad pun.)

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

oly,

"Managed Recoil". OK I wasn't sure what it was called. I'll keep my eyes open for it.

Joe
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

The Rem Managed Recoil loads work well.I used some in my 7mm mag.They shot a 140gr
at 2700 fps.They also were priced good!
What in the wild world of sports is going on here