OT Motorcycle Q.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

OT Motorcycle Q.

Post by Gobblerforge »

Here's my ride and Miss Frankie. Just a simple 1974 Honda 360 that runs good. She ain't cherry but but it's fun to ride and like I said, runs good. Real good. Here's the puzzler, though. On a cool morning, when the air is damp and cool, she runs a little sweeter. What is it about this cool damp air that the bike likes so much. Freinds say their's does the same thing. One thought was that the cooler air is denser and thus contains more oxigen. Sounds good but I don't know. By the way. We now have some goggles for Frankie for riding.
Gobbler
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Click Click Boom
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT Motorcycle Q.

Post by rogn »

It doesnt contain more oxygen per unit, but since its denser the engine gets more air in per inhale and thus a bit more O2. Also the humidity is higher and so the extra expansion of the water vapor when heated gives a bit more horse pressure. Most of the newer FI engines compensate for everything and dont seem to respond as nicely.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Way back in the day we always said our Harleys ran best when we were drunk and on a cool damp night , bike ran good and ya didn`t listen to all the clicks and clatters. :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Probably running a little rich, but thats alot better than to lean, wont burn valves that way. Thot i was only big guy that rides a smaller bike. :P
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

rogn wrote:It doesnt contain more oxygen per unit, but since its denser the engine gets more air in per inhale and thus a bit more O2. Also the humidity is higher and so the extra expansion of the water vapor when heated gives a bit more horse pressure. Most of the newer FI engines compensate for everything and dont seem to respond as nicely.
Yep. I've actually used water injection on some of my ole hot rods for a power boost and pre-ignition/detonation control.
Old Law Dawg
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

Pitchy wrote:Way back in the day we always said our Harleys ran best when we were drunk and on a cool damp night , bike ran good and ya didn`t listen to all the clicks and clatters. :lol:
+1 or in the fog :lol:
DAV life member.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Yeah noticed this for years, on cool misty summer mornings my 10mile ride to work seems to take 7mins instead of 8 8)

N :wink:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Yep runnin a bit richer plus the engine is being cooled a bit better not thinning the oil out as much. My 72 Honda XL250 loved cool damp mornings felt like she had an extra couple horses as opposed to warm dry weather.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

I had a 1974 Honda CB360. It was my first "road" bike, rode it from NY to CA, and it was my sole transport at the time. Yep, it's running leaner in the cold air. Don't try chasing that good running by leaning the carbs though, as then it will be too lean in cold air. I used to know mine was running right when it would turn 10,000 rpms in 6th gear...... Then I went and hotrodded it, punched out the jugs to accept 405CC 13:1 pop top pistons and a high lift cam from PowRoll. Ran like stink for a while.......

I notice yours has a later model front disc brake. Original was a cable-operated drum brake.
Certified gun nut
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

What everybody else said. It's probably a little rich, and with
the dense, cool air, it's making a little bit more power.

My old SR500 does that on cool mornings. With the 10:1
piston in it, it doesn't ping as much on cool mornings under
heavy load, and the low end is rich enough that it starts
easily when cold. 'Course it ain't stock, either!

You're lucky, though! Modern(ish!) carbureted iron is so lean at the low end
that there are real driveability issues when the motor is cold.
My 1990 GB500 is like that. Runs fine when it's HOT - but all sorts
of hesitation, surging - even stalling for the first 5 miles when it's
cold outside. ( I know, I know - you're not supposed to ride
motorbikes when it's 25 or 30 degrees out - but this is Maine!!)

One of these days I'll have to remove the mixer and fiddle with it.....
After all of the other little projects I've got to do!

-Stretch
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Actually, Jack, 1974 was the transition year for the front brake. If you had a CB360 with a drum it was a CB360K. Was yours the Hawaiian Blue Metallic or the Candy Orange? There was only two choices. If it had the disc then it was the CB360G and came in Hex Green Metallic or Candy Orange. Mine was Hex Green Metallic when new.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Mine was blue. I bought it used with 6K on it in 1978. PO had sliced about 4" off the ends off the mufflers, leaving open megaphones with two baffles inside instead of the reverse cone ends with three. It sounded like an F-4 taking off, and got a lot worse when each muffler spit one of the two remaining baffles :) At that point it was so obnoxious I'd cut the engine and coast into the housing area at night rather than irritate the neighbors...
Certified gun nut
southfork
Levergunner 2.0

Post by southfork »

We've got a Honda 350 out in the barn (1972-74 vintage I think), but it needs a set of points. Where can you get points for the old bikes these days? I was told a few years ago by the 'Motorsports' Honda retailer/repair outlet that Honda doesn't make the points anymore. Is that true? I'd sure like to get that bike running again. Are any of you guys whizbang vintage Honda tinkerers?
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

DAV life member.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Nice site. Thanks, Gobbler
Click Click Boom
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

southfork wrote:We've got a Honda 350 out in the barn (1972-74 vintage I think), but it needs a set of points. Where can you get points for the old bikes these days? I was told a few years ago by the 'Motorsports' Honda retailer/repair outlet that Honda doesn't make the points anymore. Is that true? I'd sure like to get that bike running again. Are any of you guys whizbang vintage Honda tinkerers?
Not real sure, but I'd hazard to guess you could get a solid state gizmo to replace the points, like they do for lawn mower engines. That'd be an upgrade worth doing.
Certified gun nut