OT: 45 Auto guys, what you think?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

OT: 45 Auto guys, what you think?

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Of Springfield 1911"s am looking at a "GI" Model. What kinda price they go for. Its has a tag of $499 on it.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: 45 Auto guys, what you think?

Post by pwl44m »

A Real One or current ?
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

That's about right, 100$ for the name. You can get a philipine made duplicate for around 399$ for a mil-spec gun. The Springfield is probably on a brazilian frame... I think.

I'm thinking about getting a stainless mil-spec Springfield to trade for my tax refund..... :lol:

Grizz
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I'm kinda gettin the itch for another 45, that is about what I would expect to Pay
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I have an SA "GI" model, which is not the same as the "Mil Spec". It is made in Brazil; there are three varieties that I have seen, the earliest version has a "clunky" square shaped dust cover, the second (which I have) has a more rounded dust cover. These two both have Geneseo,IL as the address stamped on the right side of frame by the serial number (Imbel Brazil stamped lightly on bottom of dust cover).

The third version looks the same as the second but has Made in Brazil stamped where the Geneseo address was.

The GI model serial numbers start with "WW".

Also, the first model had black plastic grips, the second had brown plastic (mine), then "US" wood, the third has only "US" wood grips.

The only changes that I made to mine was a wide spur hammer, a short shelf Colt thumb safety and a checkered slide stop, just to make it look more like the real USGI pistols.

I really like mine, I also have two Colts and a Kimber, the Springfield shoots almost as well as the Colts, can't even come close to the Kimber, but it wasn't close to the Kimber in price either.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

That's about right. Can't remember exactly what the boss man charges, we've got a BUNCH of 1911 type guns in the case right now.

As for me, I don't see anything wrong with the Springfields, Kimbers, and so forth, but none of them float my boat the way a Colt does. However, I will likely be getting a Ruger.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I bought a Springer GI about six years ago. It was a nice enough piece, but wasn't very accurate giving 4-5 inch groups at 25 yards. I installed a Colt commercial barrel and the groups shrank in half. I guess that said something about that Springer 2 piece bbl. at least.

I swapped it off for a Norinco 1911A1 which has proved to be a better pistol for less money.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I got a new parkerized Springer Mil-Spec last March to celebrate JB's 100th anniversary and I think it's definitely worth the extra money over the GI version. First, mine is the NM serial number series (as opposed to the N serial number series) that denotes that it was assembled in US. As such, it has a stainless steel barrel and bushing as well as the standard Mil-Spec upgrades which include a polished feed ramp and throated barrel, beveled mag well, lowered and flared ejection port. Best of all it has slightly taller white dot sights to enable these older eyes to see the sights better.

I wanted a reasonable facsimile of my 1911 from my Army days so I wasn't interested in beavertails or skeleton triggers and such. I also wanted a forged frame and slide for longevity so that eliminated many of the lower priced offerings. Right out of the box it shot everything I loaded it with and I'm very pleased with it so far with about 450 rds through it without a single issue.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

I have a SA GI "Champion" (4" gun), and it had some issues when new (shot low with GI ball), BUT, SA fixed it, requiring them to replace the barrel (free upgrade to a match barrel), re-mate the slide to the frame, and replace the front sight. It came back super accurate, (the "repair" folks are the same guys as their "custom shop") For that reason, great support, I'd recommend em without reservation.

FWIW ALL SA frames are forged by Imbel in Brazil. The lower end guns are also assembled in Brazil, where the high dollar stuff is assembled in the US. Nothing at all wrong with an Imbel forging..
Certified gun nut
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

3leggedturtle wrote:Of Springfield 1911"s am looking at a "GI" Model. What kinda price they go for. Its has a tag of $499 on it.

I would rather save up another $100, or slap plastic, and have the street price for one of the new Ruger 1911's or a new Remington 1911-R1

Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

a few years ago, I purchased a Springfield GI Champion Mil-spec 4 inch gun, and it's a lightweight. I own and have owned a lot of 1911's and this is one of my favorites, actually for CCW it is my favorite 1911.

I did have to change some things, but I probably would have on most any 1911, as I am very picky on what I like. Being lefthanded, I added a Wilson Combat ambi-safety, and the stock grips were not that great, so I added a nice set of Wilson Combat checkered Diamond grips to it.

I was happy with everything else, except the stock magazine didn't work that great if I remember right so I run Agars in it. It already had a short trigger and arched mainspring housing which I prefer, but I hated that darned lock in the mainspring housing, so I swapped that out for a new Ed Brown arched mainspring housing and all new guts in the housing are Ed Brown also.

Now, I am very happy with it, it's 100% reliable and hits dead on, even though it has those tiny military sights, but I love those tiny GI sights on this gun, as I can see them well, and they are so un-obtrusive, which is a plus for me as a carry gun, as sometimes I want be able to carry in my wasteband without a holster, and there is nothing to hang up, also I have a vest that catches the front sight of all of my other 1911's except for this gun.

I wasn't real high on the double recoil spring set up, and was going to change it out, but I have gotten used to it now and since it is so reliable, I don't feel like changing it.

So, I started out with a 400 dollar gun and now have over six in it, but I still consider it a bargan, as I now have a a favorite, that costs one fourth as much as my most expensive 1911, not to slight my most expensive gun, but in this case, the Springfield did fill a nitch better then most.
NRA Life Member, Patron
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

With a price tag of $500, after tax/call in I'm sure it'd be around $540+. For that kind of money I'd hold out for either a used GI or a used Mil Spec (NOT the GI MilSpec).

But that's because I'm broke. :lol:

I paid $400 a year ago for a "like new in box" GI. Really like it. Not had any failures through close to 500rds. It'll shoot 3" at 25yds fairly consistently with WWB 230gr JHP.

Only thing done was an EGW bushing and a stoning of the trigger.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Bought a Charles Daly, (Philippines) a couple years ago. 4" gun with skeleton trigger, hammer, Swenson type ambi-safeties, Wilson like extended memory grip safety, lowered and dimpled port and beveled mag well. Has just plain copies of the Novak sight and the front is dovetailed in. Wooden grips with nice checkering. $400, NIB w/2 mags. I use Wilson/Rogers mags though. Wouldn't feed but when I put in a new 18 lb recoil spring it started running and hasn't quit yet and I shoot the H&G 200 SWC except for social work I like the 185 grain XTP.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

I gave 'bout a hundred more for the Mil-Spec model, same gun with better sights and a few other upgrades. Wouldn't shoot for beans at first, on the order of 8" groups benched at 25yds, called the good folks at Springfield and they sent a shipper to return the gun. Came back as a 2" @ 25yd gun!! I liked it, but while it was gone I bought a Les Bear PII, so it went down the road traded for a Ruger Speed-Six .357 that I had looked for some time for.
awpk03s
Levergunner

Post by awpk03s »

I would skip the GI model and go for a Mil-Spec. 1911s are my favorite pistol, and I have more than one of them in my stable.

For some really good information and advice on 1911s (of all types and brands), visit this forum:
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77

Yes, it's a Glock based forum, but the 1911 sub-forum is (in my opinion) one of the best on the net.

Here is another interesting link with some basic info on a whole slew of currently available 1911s (with pictures). It's a long read, but well worth all the scrolling and reading to the end:
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=1269683

Enjoy.
Cruise
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cruise »

Check out the 1911 forum: http://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Hobie likes Colt: A fine piece. I have two: 1943 Remington Typewriter model and a MK IV Ofc LtWt by D&L Sports (Dave Lauck).

The New Ruger SR1911 looks good as well as the S&W 'E' models (External extractor if that bothers anybody).

S&W: http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/ ... 7751_image

Jeff Quinn has some good write-ups over at: http://gunblast.com/
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Turned out to be a Mil Spec. Came with 2 Wilson mags Leather holster and mag, pouch, and a 10 round clip Now jus to get time off and do some shooting. :D
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

If it's in like new condition, I'd say that was a fair price for mil spec with the extras.
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

look around and shop.I picked up this KIMBER for 500.00 cash from a old friend and he only fired 2 mags of ammo thru it and it went into his night stand.money is tight and there are some deals if you look.
BTW this is the most accurate 1911 I have ever owned :wink: and I have owned a bunch of them over the years.

DAV life member.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

3legged,

Definitely a really good deal on that one. If there are ever any problems Springfield's Customer service will make it right.

Their CS is easily the best I've dealt with.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

meanc wrote:3legged,

Definitely a really good deal on that one. If there are ever any problems Springfield's Customer service will make it right.

Their CS is easily the best I've dealt with.
Thanks thats nice to know, I'm so busy that i hardly have time to shoot 1-2 days a month, let alone look for real deals. But as long everyone keeps drinkin" coors and miller i'll be busy :D :D

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

3leggedturtle wrote:Turned out to be a Mil Spec. Came with 2 Wilson mags Leather holster and mag, pouch, and a 10 round clip Now jus to get time off and do some shooting. :D
Nice gun bro and nice meeting ya, was fun shootin with ya. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

the 1911 was my first love in handguns. Introduced in boot camp, and haven't been without at least 2 since. Currently have 4.

My new favorite load:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

I bought a Mil Spec 4 or 5 yrs back and have been very pleased with it. Out of the box it was about a 2-3" 25 yd gun with a clean 5 lb. trigger. At the time I was learning about .45's so I did the trigger( now a nice 3 lb.) and bought a pre fitted bushing from Brownells. The gun is now a solid 2" 25 yd gun and has always been reliable as far as feed and function even with SWC's. To date it's had at least 2K rounds through it with no problems.
bobbyjack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bobbyjack »

Hobie wrote:That's about right. Can't remember exactly what the boss man charges, we've got a BUNCH of 1911 type guns in the case right now.

As for me, I don't see anything wrong with the Springfields, Kimbers, and so forth, but none of them float my boat the way a Colt does. However, I will likely be getting a Ruger.
Thats the way I feel about a Ser 80 Gov Model!

Bob
FF1063
Levergunner 1.0

Post by FF1063 »

That's a pretty nice gun 3legged, can't wait to shoot it.

As long as it's not as accurate as my Sig we can still be friends.