OT: Frenchy French rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

OT: Frenchy French rifle

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Well, I had a couple of these along with some M36 bolt guns about 10 years ago but sold them all off.

I was in the funshop the other day and saw this one... asked what the price was... $225 :shock:

It came home with me.

I also bought three extra mags, dies and brass for it. I'm going to load some rounds for it this weekend and take her to the range.

This is a MAS 49/56 which is chambered for 7.5 French - AKA 7.5x54. It's basically a .308 Winchester, only a little bigger case capacity and slightly lower operating pressure. But the data for .308 is good for this - just back off of the max loads a bit.

The thing is really well made. The rear aperture sight is fully adjustable and the front post is elevation adjustable. It utilizes the direct impingment gas system - same as the AR-15/m-16. The French actually developed that shortly after WWI.

These rifles are very robust and the ones I had before could print 2", 100 yard groups with ammo that they liked.

Just thought I'd share this with ya'll. I bet some of you have one of these too.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: Frenchy French rifle

Post by awp101 »

$225? I'dve had a real hard time passing on that. Good snag!
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I like the rifle other then the fact that it's french !

Had a couple Darne SxS shotguns that were french . Used to eat "french fries" and "french toast" now I eat fried potatoes and fried bread !

Ever since 9-11 and the french reaction to our invasion of Afghanistan etc I've been VERY ANTI FRENCH !

After we bale'd the frogs out in WWI , WWII and Vietnam !

:(
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
win92
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win92 »

AW yes French rifles never shot and dropped only once!
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

win92 wrote:AW yes French rifles never shot and dropped only once!
NOT IF IT WERE A LEGION RIFLE.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

This was a Legion carbine :P

Thanks Terry.

Seriously, this is a great little carbine in a very capable chambering.

The French's tactics and political fortitude may be lacking but they've actually been on the forefront of firearms development... remember who came up with the first smokeless powder? The first smokeless round repeater? And there's more...

It's an interesting side-note in the history of MBR's. I think I'll hold on to this one.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Weren't some of these converted to .308?

I once thought about getting one but my uses aren't really collecting but more, ummm, utilitarian so I wasn't enamored of needing special mags and ammo.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I am almost certain I have seen some of these with a chamber insert added, which reportedly allowed them to handle .308, and I also seem to recall them fouling quickly or giving function problems of some sort.

OF course I could be nuts. Most days, that would be easier.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

I have one of the 49/56 models converted to .308. It is absolutely worthless. The .308 case sticks in the chamber upon firing. I bought mine about ten years ago with great expectations and was sorely disappointed. After messing with it for a while I gave up and it leans a corner ignored. I like the gun, but it just won't work. I seem to remember that someone offered a fix by altering the gas system to the grenade launcher to bleed off the excess gas, preventing the lockup of the bolt. I just never followed through.

Kevin
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Century did some coversions - and those are the bad ones. Mac, that's probably what you got...

There's another company (forget the name) that does the conversions properly - they set the barrel back and rechamber and adjust the length of the gas tube and install a gas regulator to allow the adjustement (reduction) of gas flow for the slightly higher pressures of the .308 Win.

I am just liking it for what it is.

I have other more utilitarian arms for social use. Though, if you had a couple thousand rounds made up for this, a good supply of stripper clips and some spare parts... it'd make a very good go-to rifle. But I'll be sticking to my other standard chambered rifles and carbines for that.

ETA - buymilsurp had a spare extractor, extractor spring and firing spring for this rifle in stock - for good prices too - ordered all three. Those, I understand are the most likely to fail parts on these - though, that's probably rare if you stick with the original chambering for which it is designed...
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Took it to the range today. Tried two loads. Both did OK - the hotter of the two seemed a little too much so, so I;ll try lower charges now, or another powder/bullet.

Function was great - only failure to eject was due to the brass catcher I had strapped on it.

Neet carbine - not much recoil.

Got it zero'd very easily.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

For that kind of money it would have come home with me for sure. Glad to hear you're having fun with it and I'm always game to hear about a milsurp so don't hesitate to post that kind of thing (one guy's opinion).

I like the looks of my FN49 and I'm partial to the Ljungman and Hakim as well, but I've gotta say that dang thing is FUGLY! LOL. :lol:

No matter! Like I say I'd own it too.

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I won't say I wouldn't own one, who knows what the future will bring? But, trigger time is trigger time... as long as you ain't practicin' bad habits.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
creosote
Levergunner

Post by creosote »

Those are nice little rifles in the original caliber,I made the mistake of getting the Century conversion in .308. I got them to shoot, but was quite
finnished with them after all the effort.
The 7.5 caliber is so simple to convert from 6.5x55 swede, I have two cases of the 6.5x55 "KOMMERPATRONENN" gallery ammo.
Just pop off the copper "bullet" and put aside the powder for other projects.
Then charge with a suitable powder of your choice and seat a BOAT Tailed bullet, The taper of the boattail expands the neck, it leaves a
funny looking wasp waist in the neck,but that irons out when you fire it.
The brass used in these cartridges is first rate and not seconds or culls.
I do not reload the berdan cases but simply use them as a source of primed brass.
creosote
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

I have a friend that bought one of the CAI 308's.he cleaned the goop off it and we went to the range.it went full auto :shock: the RSO went off.

I have never heard anything bad about the ones in the orginal cal.
DAV life member.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Ah! I found some milsurp French MAS ammo for this! Never thought I'd find any but did a quick search and came up with some for $.50/round shipped. Ordered a case of the stuff. This is 140 grain fmj French Military manuf. ammo. I wish I had the money to order more.... And being berdan primed, I don't have to chase the ammo down at the range or use a brass catcher. I'll be interested to see how this compares to my handloads. Have to break-out the chrono.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

O.S.O.K. wrote:Took it to the range today. Tried two loads. Both did OK - the hotter of the two seemed a little too much so, so I;ll try lower charges now, or another powder/bullet.

Function was great - only failure to eject was due to the brass catcher I had strapped on it.

Neet carbine - not much recoil.

Got it zero'd very easily.
Very cool! 8) 8) 8)

You must have a well-stocked candy store!
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

O.S.O.K. wrote:Well, I had a couple of these along with some M36 bolt guns about 10 years ago but sold them all off.

I was in the funshop the other day and saw this one... asked what the price was... $225 :shock:

It came home with me.

I also bought three extra mags, dies and brass for it. I'm going to load some rounds for it this weekend and take her to the range.

This is a MAS 49/56 which is chambered for 7.5 French - AKA 7.5x54. It's basically a .308 Winchester, only a little bigger case capacity and slightly lower operating pressure. But the data for .308 is good for this - just back off of the max loads a bit.

The thing is really well made. The rear aperture sight is fully adjustable and the front post is elevation adjustable. It utilizes the direct impingment gas system - same as the AR-15/m-16. The French actually developed that shortly after WWI.

These rifles are very robust and the ones I had before could print 2", 100 yard groups with ammo that they liked.

Just thought I'd share this with ya'll. I bet some of you have one of these too.
That MAS is/was a fine weapon. At $225, I'd pick up 2 in that condition. Make for a good truck gun. And it looks just "evil" enough to send the Pelosi's of the world into fits.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Combat Diver
Levergunner

Post by Combat Diver »

For those that don't know the French Army is here in Afghanistan. I support two of their bases with equipment. They are still using the FAMAS in 5.56mm for their service rifle.

CD
De Oppresso Liber
Iraq 91,03,04,05,06,08, 09, 15 & 16
Afghanistan 09,10, 11 & 14
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Combat Diver wrote:For those that don't know the French Army is here in Afghanistan. I support two of their bases with equipment. They are still using the FAMAS in 5.56mm for their service rifle.

CD
Le Clarion! :mrgreen:

Actual French Army or Legionnaires?
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Well, I thought the 49/56 was a bit on the ugly side.... look at the Famas! :shock:

NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Hence the nickname Le Clarion (The Bugle)... :lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

That reminds me of the opening scenes in "We were soldiers" where they show the French being ambushed and slaughtered in Viet Nam - and the VC taking their bugle.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Combat Diver
Levergunner

Post by Combat Diver »

awp101 wrote:
Combat Diver wrote:For those that don't know the French Army is here in Afghanistan. I support two of their bases with equipment. They are still using the FAMAS in 5.56mm for their service rifle.

CD
Le Clarion! :mrgreen:

Actual French Army or Legionnaires?
French Army
De Oppresso Liber
Iraq 91,03,04,05,06,08, 09, 15 & 16
Afghanistan 09,10, 11 & 14