Savage 99 clone

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
chainsaw
Levergunner

Savage 99 clone

Post by chainsaw »

What gun looks just like a Savage 99,but isn't a Savage 99?Has any other manufacturer produced a lookalike?
If you don't like loggers,wipe your hiney with a plastic bag.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Re: Savage 99 clone

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

The only one that comes to my mind that comes close is the Ruger model 96/44

Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
chainsaw
Levergunner

Post by chainsaw »

Saw a crappy pic of a rifle that looks just like a 99.Guy says there are no markings on this gun except it says 30-30 on top of the barrel behind the rear sight,and a serial number under the reciever just ahead of the lever.I asked if he had taken the wood off to look under the fore arm but he hasn't gotten back yet.Says his dad gave him the rifle and has been sitting in a closet for several years.
Hairtrigger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hairtrigger »

Winchester 88?
I am one gun away from happy
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Never heard of a 99 clone. The Ruger 96 is intended to have the 99 look but that's where the similarity ends. There are 99s chambered in .30-30. The Mad Trapper of Rat River carried one. (just a note of "historical" interest)
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Might be a store brand made by savage for wards,sears, a hardware company whatever, they were sometimes a little bit different,such as the Ted Williams model 100(?) that is a winchester model 94 with a couple small design changes, made for Sears.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

The model 1895 Savage looks like 99 but I believe they were clearly marked, and I'm not sure they were available 30WCF aka 30/30.

Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
chainsaw
Levergunner

Post by chainsaw »

Evidenttly the gun in the pic is an early 99 with an aftermarket barrel and bad scope mount drill holes.Thanks for the replys fellas'.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, Savage has never made a private or store branded Model 99, and nobody else has ever tried to make a clone (yet).

While the Ruger 96, Sako Finnewolf, and/or the Winchester 88 may be reminiscent of a Model 99 to some folk, they all have one-piece stocks, while the Model 99 of course has a separate buttstock/forearm.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

MARLIN did make a couple one-piece-stock leverguns; I forget the model numbers. One was available in .30 carbine.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

None of the other guns are clones of the 99.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

The Savage 1895 was not marked as such. There are addresses and patent dates, bolt shape, etc. that determine it's a 1895, but no rollstamp with that model mark.
Marlin made the Levermatics, (56, 57, 62) which might look somewhat like a 99, but like the Ruger that came later, they had a one piece stock. I always thought Ruger copied the Marlin Levermatics, not the Savage 99 when they built the 96.
The Levermatics had the same locking type mechanism, and safety as the 99.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Pete44ru wrote:FWIW, Savage has never made a private or store branded Model 99, and nobody else has ever tried to make a clone (yet)...
I wish I had the $$$$ to do that - that's one business I'd happily do if I could do it under a Firearms Freedom/No Feds setup. Unfortunately, the current market would support it, even if I were able to do all I wanted to to marketing wise. :cry:

(I want to build an "upgraded" 99C. Modern steels, Take Down Only, with your choice of barrels - .243, .308, .358 on a slightly modified receiver that will also feed from one of the "standard" mil-spec .308 magazines should the user feel the need for more than 4+1. Still, even given all that I don't think it would ever make a market supportable platform.)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old Ironsights wrote:I want to build an "upgraded" 99C. Modern steels, Take Down Only, with your choice of barrels - .243, .308, .358 on a slightly modified receiver that will also feed from one of the "standard" mil-spec .308 magazines should the user feel the need for more than 4+1. Still, even given all that I don't think it would ever make a market supportable platform.
Well, when you run your spreadsheets, count me in to buy a couple... :wink:

While you're at it, make a scaled-down one some of the .223-sized rounds like the .204 Ruger, .223 Rem, and 6.0 or 6.5mm 'benchrest' rounds, maybe a subsonic .338 Whisper or something.

Oh yeah, maybe one for the 'straight-case' rounds that has a .444 Marlin in there somewhere. 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

AJMD429 wrote: Well, when you run your spreadsheets, count me in to buy a couple... :wink:

While you're at it, make a scaled-down one some of the .223-sized rounds like the .204 Ruger, .223 Rem, and 6.0 or 6.5mm 'benchrest' rounds, maybe a subsonic .338 Whisper or something. 8)
Put me in here, too. My present main big game rifle is a 99 I had rebarreled to 260 Rem to the tune of quite a bit of $ outlay by the time I found a 308 and got the barrel work done. And my next 99 project is likely to be rebarreling a 300 Savage (those common-as-dirt, easily available rifles) to 22 benchrest. I, however, vote for the nifty rotary mag 'cause these 99s don't seem to need more than two shots anyway.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Here ya go, fella's = The Empire 99 Carbine

http://www.empirerifles.com/Empire%2099%20Carbine.htm

Available Calibers: 243 Win; 250-3000 Savage; 260 Rem; 7-08 Rem; 300 Savage; 308 Win; 338 Federal; 358 Win.
Price from $6,885.00.

Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

What modern steels? What is wrong with the steels used in Savage’s C model?
That Empire sure is a looker...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
jimincolo
Levergunner

Post by jimincolo »

The Empire fifle is beautiful. But I can't help thinking that every wealthy guy buying one is causing the destruction of an existing original 99. Somehow, that just seems sad to me.
Jim
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

CERTAINLY NOT at nearly 7Gs!!!! :shock:
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

It's just a custom rifle built on an existing action, not a new gun patterned on the 99 action. As was stated, every one built uses up another original old action. It's a travesty of a fine gun's demise.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:The only one that comes to my mind that comes close is the Ruger model 96/44
I agree; it is indeed the same basic action and uses a rotary magazine. A few differences: it has an internal hammer instead of a striker; the mag is removable; and it has an ejection port and can't be loaded from the top.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Ben_Rumson wrote:What modern steels? What is wrong with the steels used in Savage’s C model? ...
Nothing (specifically) with the steel in the "C" model except that it was never made in stainless.

As for all of the original 1899-1960 guns... well... it took modern steels not available until the late 20th Century to come up with a levergun that could handle the .454 too.

But specifically, I'd like to do Matte Stainless and Blackened Stainless for simple all-weather durability.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!