Motorcycle pictures

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Re: Motorcycle pictures

Post by AmBraCol »

Guys who complain about how "under powered" their 600 cc bike is crack me up. Here's my current rig (see attached picture) - a GN125. It takes me from Pereira to Bogotá in about six hours of riding time - over the Central Range of the Andes mountains, across the Magdalena river valley, up the Eastern Range of the Andes and down into the nasty savana de Bogotá. And more often than not it's carrying me and enough luggage and ??? to last me a week or so, as well as rain gear and tools.

I'm hoping to move it on down the line and pick up something with a bit more oomph to it. Probably a "big" bike like an XL 200 or ??? The Good Lord only knows what's next. It ain't easy coming up with funds for an over priced scooter down here.

Anyway, remember this pic the next time you think YOUR ride is "under powered"...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

That sounds like an awesome trip Paul. What is the distance between gas stops? Do you carry extra fuel? 6 hours actually sounds like you're making good time for all that mountain riding. Do you have any road fotis to share?

Grizz
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Paul, that is such a cool photo! Dr. Frasier at Motorcycle USA is a world renowned "Adventure Biker" with many articles and books to his credit. He does most of his international adventures on bikes much smaller than the the "big" 1200 cc motors available from BMW or others. Most of the time, it's on a small 250cc bike from a Jap manufacturer! So yeah, I'm thinking your bike is totally appropriate for what you did with it! -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Grizz wrote:That sounds like an awesome trip Paul. What is the distance between gas stops? Do you carry extra fuel? 6 hours actually sounds like you're making good time for all that mountain riding. Do you have any road fotis to share?

Grizz
Grizz, it carries enough (about 10 liters - roughly 2.5 gallons) to do the whole trip on one tank. I leave with a full tank and fill up at the cheapest pump I can find in Bogotá on my way to my destination. The picture is actually from a trip in which I went on past Bogotá, down the east side of the Eastern Range of the Andes to Villavicencio - another two or three hours added to the trip. There's plenty of pics - on my facebook account... :) The trip from here is roughly 300 kilometers to Bogotá. I hit the reserve at around 270-280 kilometers. The roads aren't bad, except over "La Linea". There's quite a bit of four lane over the flatter parts of the valleys and between here and Armenia.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

CowboyTutt wrote:Paul, that is such a cool photo! Dr. Frasier at Motorcycle USA is a world renowned "Adventure Biker" with many articles and books to his credit. He does most of his international adventures on bikes much smaller than the the "big" 1200 cc motors available from BMW or others. Most of the time, it's on a small 250cc bike from a Jap manufacturer! So yeah, I'm thinking your bike is totally appropriate for what you did with it! -Tutt
Tutt, a 250 would be nice. I'm TRYING to swing a deal on an XL 200. It would give me both more power for climbing La Linea and also be more appropriate for my "gotta get out of town a while before I blow a gasket" rides. Still, the GN125 has taken me places most would only want a dirt bike for and I enjoyed the experience, except for that pushing the bike because the street tires are too slick part. :) The 125 is fine around town, but it does lack the guts necessary to climb like I want it to. It's rated at 12 ponies, not sure what the XL is but it's closer to 20 I believe. Tomorrow we'll find out if the guy will deal or not.
Paul - in Pereira

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Anyway, remember this pic the next time you think YOUR ride is "under powered"...

Wife tells me the same thing :lol:
Looks like your a traveling man. 8)
Last edited by Pitchy on Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

That sidehack would have been handy once when I was out in the hills and got stuck on muddy roads. Stuck may not be the right word, I got out, but the front wheel would load up with mud and lock up in about hundred yards or so and I'd go down. Then I had to clean the mud out of the fender and forks. Finally ended up taking the fender off and getting covered in mud, but made it back to pavement. Probably shoulda married the gal that was with me, it didnt bother her much, getting stuck in a downpour hunting bunnies, hiding under a tarp to stay dry, riding on mud roads.

There's a guy in the NW that does sidecar adventure trips in the mountains, they stay in tipis at night. Saw pictures of it.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Malamute wrote:
There's a guy in the NW that does sidecar adventure trips in the mountains, they stay in tipis at night. Saw pictures of it.
My dream bike for several years has been a Ural with side car, 2WD, and reverse gear which makes for a very trail worthy vehicle at least jeep trail worthy with room for equipment and game.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Ji, that is SO COOL... 8) 8) 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Couple pics of my 02 Yamaha V-Star I picked up last August.

I swapped seats & got a backrest & saddle bags. No good pics with the bags yet but heres a pic with the seat & rest from a couple weeks back. I'll probably escape on it for awhile tomorrow.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Nice bike Leverdude 8) have a couple friends that ride them.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
TravisM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TravisM »

I can only look on with envy.

My wife is so scared of them that she has not only begged me not to get one, but swears that I can get any gun I want as long as I can pay for it.

(I have a BIG list. :lol: )
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

Current bike, 2004 Screamin' Eagle Electra Glide.

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Nice!!!! -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

oldguy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldguy »

am i right ? dose the ural with sidecar have earls/leading link front suspension ?
if so that is very nice. takes me back. oldguy
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

oldguy wrote:am i right ? dose the ural with sidecar have earls/leading link front suspension ?
Yes sir! : http://bmwdean.com/earles-fork.htm :wink:
With gas prices headed up and up this bike makes more and more sense compared to a 4x4 at least for me. :D

AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

TravisM wrote:I can only look on with envy.

My wife is so scared of them that she has not only begged me not to get one, but swears that I can get any gun I want as long as I can pay for it.

(I have a BIG list. :lol: )

I bought my GN125 from the widow of a man who's wife told him "I'd rather you get a mistress than a motorcycle." (And she was dead set against that too - using the comparison for emphasis). He didn't listen, bought the bike although he'd never even learned to ride a bicycle. I don't know how he did it but he managed to pile it up in only 60 kilometers of riding. Broke his ankle - and his neck. I bought it from her after they got the estate settled. Many's the time I've ridden past where he fell. Even at close to 100 k per hour I've not managed to destabilize the bike. ???

Anyway, either you're a biker or you're not. I'm not "hard core" but do ride anywhere I can and whenever I can. In college I rode year round, except for that cold snap when I couldn't crank it over even with the kick starter. My wife rides daily but is not a biker. It's just a means of transportation to her.
Paul - in Pereira

oldguy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldguy »

ji. thank you for the picture of the front end.
once again it is good to have you posting again.
do you still have your dory ? oldguy
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:
oldguy wrote:am i right ? dose the ural with sidecar have earls/leading link front suspension ?
Yes sir! : http://bmwdean.com/earles-fork.htm :wink:
With gas prices headed up and up this bike makes more and more sense compared to a 4x4 at least for me. :D

our kawasaki dealer picked up these(ural dealer) for a couple of years.I went down with a friend to look at them.new on the floor leaking oil and they forgot to turn the petcock off and a puddle of gas under the bike :shock:.I wasn't impressed and they couldn't sell them at a loss.
I say a pass buy a honda ect.
DAV life member.
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

This is what I have been riding since 2004. '04 Suzuki Hayabusa GSX 1300R. I call it... The Time Machine :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
r80rt
Levergunner

Post by r80rt »

My current ride.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Anyone running a Kawasaki KLR650? Always wanted a bike, did a little dirt riding a long time ago. Figured I'd better get one now that regret not doing it later.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

txpete wrote: our kawasaki dealer picked up these(ural dealer) for a couple of years.I went down with a friend to look at them.new on the floor leaking oil and they forgot to turn the petcock off and a puddle of gas under the bike :shock:.I wasn't impressed and they couldn't sell them at a loss.
I say a pass buy a honda ect.
I saw one at a local dealer and though utilitarian in design seemed very Soviet tough like a AK-47. There are a couple on island I see occasionally. I find them retro cool especially the 2wd concept. Here's a couple interesting videos:

http://www.imz-ural.com/downloads/movies/eleven.mov
http://www.imz-ural.com/downloads/movie ... valley.mov
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

oldguy wrote:ji. thank you for the picture of the front end.
once again it is good to have you posting again.
do you still have your dory ? oldguy
Thank you sir. Yes I do still have my dory which I inherited from my Dad almost 4 years ago (rest in peace), and which I named in his honor. Recently A friend gave me a dory he was not using he being the 3rd owner, and not being a rower let sit neglected for 3 years. It was still in decent shape in spite of the neglect so needed very little restoration. In the restoration process I decided to make this dory outboard motor compatible since my bum back keeps me from rowing as much as I like but still love being on the water. I cut a hole in the transom for the propeller to fit through and added a teak wood motor block inboard thus keeping the dory lines and no sacrificing her rowability. I also added a skeg to making her track straighter especially in strong winds and swells, and a scupper hole in transom to let rain water drain out. This was a home made boat but built very well with foam core instead of plywood, and with foam flotation built into the floor so unsinkable. I named her in honor of my mom (rest in peace). Here's a couple pictures (sorry for the motorcycle thread hijack :oops:) .

Before

After

My Dad's dory
Last edited by Ji in Hawaii on Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

To get back on the motorcycle track here's another classic style bike which I think is pure awesomeness the Royal Enfield!

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/

ImageImage
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I owned a 1965 royal enfield 750 cc intercepter. After that I bought another, a 1958 INDIAN that really was a 700 cc single carb royal enfield made for indian. I belive there was only like 11 of them imported I later read. Mine might well have been the last indian produced for the old indian company. Another time I bought a basket case 1967 royal enfield 750 intercepter. They were considered about the hottest production bike you could buy according to the magazines of the era. I know mine would do about 120 mph. Somewhere I have some old pictures of mine. They were a "tempermental" bike. They had a heel lever on the tranny that you could hit that would find neutral without going through the gears if it was conveniant at the time. It was called a neutral finder. I got a lot of memories and storys about that bike!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Cool bikes guys 8)
Found a few more pics of my 73 Shovel with a hack, and two other time period set ups.
All over 20 years ago. :mrgreen:

Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:To get back on the motorcycle track here's another classic style bike which I think is pure awesomeness the Royal Enfield!

ImageImage
Those are neat. I like the 499 the have on their main page. But then, I need a Truck for the same money...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:To get back on the motorcycle track here's another classic style bike which I think is pure awesomeness the Royal Enfield!

ImageImage
Those are neat. I like the 499 the have on their main page. But then, I need a Truck for the same money...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I see that now the biggest enfields are 500 cc single lungers. Years back they were 750 cc twin clyinders. Whats up with that? They do look a lot like my 50 year old ones though!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Instead of being made for Indian, they are MADE in India! Neat looking bikes though. -Tutt

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Like the fishtails and solo seat and p-pad on the shovel Pitchy. I ran a seat setup like that on my knuckle for a while, and had dual and a single fishtail on it at different times.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
futura
Levergunner

Post by futura »

Here's my '82 Yamaha XT550.
It's good on the highway, can run fast on logging roads and can still do single track. I love this bike.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Malamute wrote:Like the fishtails and solo seat and p-pad on the shovel Pitchy. I ran a seat setup like that on my knuckle for a while, and had dual and a single fishtail on it at different times.
Thanks bro, a guy sure made a lot of changes didn`t he, heck we thought nothing about cutting the neck and raking it out to where we wanted.
It was fun. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Here's a borrowed picture of my '79 airhead:

Out of service right now with every good intention of working on it....

My only Harley was a hardtail 45 inch flathead with side shift that I built out of parts. Bought a frame from one guy and most of an engine somewhere else and springer front end somewhere else. I must have had the huge sum of, O, maybe $200 bucks in it.

It was a hoot to ride though.

Kinda sort-of looked like this borrowed image, WITHOUT the chrome. It was considered a rat bike at the time, but I was grinning all the way up and down Route 1

At the time I had a delivery job driving a side-hack connected to a 74 with reverse, geared low enough to be doing 60 mph between the San Francisco stoplights. Worked a split shift so I had lots of time to troll for the parts to build the parts bike.

I rode a BMW R50 across country a couple of times. Had it for several years when I lived in NYC. After that I had an R60 that a friend had set up with a ceriani (sp?) front end that would cruise at a steady 100 mph according to the CHP.

Then I moved to Alaska where there are no roads.....

Grizz
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

OT-1975 Norton Commando

Post by Jarhead »

A pic of my 1975 Norton....I restore classic British Scoots for a hobby. Also, have a 03 FXDX Glide, 70 BSA, and a 73 750 Tiger Triumph....
Semper Fi
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

WOW awesome Norton! I have always loved vertical twins like Nortons, and Triumphs. As a teen one of my dream bikes was a Yamaha XS650, loved the engine design, British style, and Japanese reliability, and ease of maintenance.

Later on fell in love with the Kawasaki W650 for the same reasons.

AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Attached is a pic of the bike that replaces the GN125 - which I sold yesterday in order to buy this one. It's a "big" bike down here. Shucks, it's twice the displacement or more of most of the bikes on the road down here. That front rim/tire has got to go. the plan is to return it to near factory specs. As is the kickstand almost doesn't keep it vertical and the angle is weird. Someone tried to make a "motard" out of it, but all they did was install a smaller rim and tires. At least it's fairly easy to undo.
Paul - in Pereira

Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:WOW awesome Norton! I have always loved vertical twins like Nortons, and Triumphs. As a teen one of my dream bikes was a Yamaha XS650, loved the engine design, British style, and Japanese reliability, and ease of maintenance.

Later on fell in love with the Kawasaki W650 for the same reasons.

Nice scooters and more reliable than the British Iron. That's what put the British Motorcycle Industry under in the 70s...
Semper Fi
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Paul, what is the displacement of your new XT? I can't tell from the photo! Inquiring minds want to know! -Tutt

txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

the yamaha 650 was a great bike.mine 1972 XS-2 heading home on leave 1974.

DAV life member.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

CowboyTutt wrote:Paul, what is the displacement of your new XT? I can't tell from the photo! Inquiring minds want to know! -Tutt
It's a 2006 Honda XL 200. Made in Brazil. Am having fits trying to find data on it. XL in the US was back in the 80's, for two years. They are still made in Brazil, I believe, but am not finding much online. So far, I like it. Have only put about five miles on it so far, but it's got noticeably more punch to it than the GN125 did. Am not sure when I'll get the chance to try it up La Linea, that's the true test, as far as I'm concerned. That road's closed due to the current rain system that's settled into the country, causing landslides and flooding.
Paul - in Pereira

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Pictures taken this morning before heading off to work on my
09 Vespa GTV.

Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Finaly found this thread again ....I found a couple of MC pics I said I'd post whenever I found them..
My HD 47 WL before and after..The WL is the Flathead 45 ci /750cc model

Before pic taken 1978... Guess what I got for Christmas?
After pic 1986

Prolly about time to re do it...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Nice restore Ben_Rumson 8) great bike pics by all thanks for posting. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

The club of forum members is realy impressive. Real active people with interesting lives.
I don't have much for bikes anymore, but over the last fifteen years or so I've had a half dozen Goldwings and one Valkyre Interstate. One of the Goldwings had a Daytona two person sidecar. Deer have spoiled our evening rides so I've cut back on road bikes. I do enjoy my TW 200 Yamaha. I can ride that along side the grandsons and their little dirt bikes

Owen
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

DAV life member.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

After many, many scooters, the last was this one which my wife sent down the road about three years ago. My ten year old daughter hated to see it go...

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

test rode these today!

Give me the Monster anyday :D

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

hightime wrote:The club of forum members is realy impressive. Real active people with interesting lives.
I don't have much for bikes anymore, but over the last fifteen years or so I've had a half dozen Goldwings and one Valkyre Interstate. One of the Goldwings had a Daytona two person sidecar. Deer have spoiled our evening rides so I've cut back on road bikes. I do enjoy my TW 200 Yamaha. I can ride that along side the grandsons and their little dirt bikes

Owen
Always had an "I want one" for one of these,(TW 200 Yamaha) 8)
If they would have made it in a 350cc or 400cc, I probably would have picked one up.
I had a Kaw'e KLR 250 that was a flat out blast on the woods trails.
It was one of those "man I should have kept that one" bikes :wink: