Savage 99 in .358 Win?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Savage 99 in .358 Win?

Post by 86er »

I am soliciting information, opinions, experiences and first hand observations about the Savage 99, specifically in 358 caliber. If you can contribute or point towards magazine articles or books please do so. I don't mind 358 Win only information, but I don't require any Savage 99 only (in other calibers) info. Thanks
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Savage 99 in .358 Win?

Post by Old Savage »

There was a book on hunting cartridges - Popular Sporting Cartridges by Clay Harvey that relates the experiences of Rick Jamison as using one. Of course 99s are generally accurate and those come at a premium.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... ition=used
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

I picked one up a couple of years ago for $750 buy it now price.. almost broke my fingers clicking on the buy-it-now box...came with all the reloading dies bullets, new brass and about 200 loaded rounds and a Leupold 4 power scope....That price was about half the going price at the time... still is, as I look at Gunbroker.. I've killed three deer with it... they stayed shot.. DRT... love the 358 Winchester cartridge... Les
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

The last one I saw has been asking $1295 at the local gun show for a year now.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Levergun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Levergun »

WOW! A 99 in 358 for $750??? GOOD PRICE. They pretty much go for the 1200 to 1500 buck range pending condition.

I bought mine approx. 10 years ago off Auction arms. I had been looking or months and the same seller had two of them for auction. One he wanted $1200 bucks with a scope and the other just had a reserve. I contacted him and ask what his reserve was and when he told me I aske if he would close early if I paid his reserve and he did. I got mine for $700 bucks.

Mine had tang cracks and blemishes in the wood but the bore is good and all the case color harding is in place. So I refinished the wood and took care of all the cracks and to this day it is my "GO TO" rifle for any game. One shot one kill and I have taken a few bucks with it and they pretty much stop in their tracks when hit!

Trigger pull on the 99 is not very good, but accuracy and collectiblily is awesome. Besides, I just think they look cool and you can put a scope on it! :)
"In God We Trust"
www.Levergunleather.com
smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

Post by smokenrust »

99's have a rough, loud action to them but wow, can they shoot straight. 243 win, 300 sav, 303 sav, 35rem, 308, would like to find a 22-250/250-3000 & 7mm-08. Didn't remember them in the 358, Well another one to put in my wish list, its getting longer all the time :wink: ... how many can a guy have on that list? :roll:
(discloser) Not a gunsmith, just a tinkerer at heart, it gets me into trouble, When I take it apart...
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

I have a few Savage 99's two of them are in 358 Win. One was a 99F which has been sold and the other is a 99A. For some reason the 99F was not as accurate compared to the 99A with the same loads, I couldn't figure that one out. I find the straight grips handle better in recoil than the pistol grips. Triggers on most of them are a bit tight but can be corrected. When hand loading I do need to full length size the brass after each firing session and keep a close eye on the OAL length. Overall they are well built and accurate rifles!

Mainehunter :wink:
Levergun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Levergun »

Mainehunter wrote:When hand loading I do need to full length size the brass after each firing session and keep a close eye on the OAL length. Overall they are well built and accurate rifles!

Mainehunter :wink:
Not every rifle is the same even if it is the same caliber and maker. I have two 94's that will not shoot the same load. One likes 150 gr bullets and the other 170's and they have the same twist, but one is a 20"BBL and the other a 26". One is 1916 the other is 1964.

I full lenth resize my brass as well, the OAL can change as much as .015" each shot!
"In God We Trust"
www.Levergunleather.com
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

If I had my way and a huge pile of money, I'd be building 99C takedowns with 3 bbl sets - 358, 308 & 243.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Henry McCann
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Henry McCann »

I can't speak to a 99 in .358, but my dad bought one of the first BLR's in .358. A great caliber, and drops animals quickly. I have continually told him, that rifle has my name all over it! :D
"Be kind and polite to everyone you meet; but have a plan on how to kill them." General Mattis
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Thanks for the info thus far -
O.S. - I bought that book, thanks for the lead!
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

My Savage book, THE NINETY-NINE says starting in 1956 the.358 Win. was offered in the following models...99R, RS, EG, F and DL... It’s interesting to note that Winchester didn’t offer their 88s in .358...
Myself I’d like a 35 cal 99.. But my pipe dream is for a custom 20” barrel band carbine in 35 Remington...There’s room to hop it up a tad in the 99, but still get and use good ole 35 Rem. just about everywhere...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Hi Joe, I had the F model. Someone with lots o cash wanted it real bad. It was a beauty and shot very well. I know you are aware that the .358 is a dandy. Given your crush on the .35 Rem., I think you would really like the .358. The Ruger Frontier Rifle is a dandy but no lever. Just an FYI, not to take the thread in a different direction. God Bless, 1886. http://www.chuckhawks.com/winchester_88.htm?vm=r
HillbillyGadget
Levergunner 1.0

Post by HillbillyGadget »

About 20 yrs ago as a new apprentice, an old journeyman who also had a gun store and was very fond of leverguns and single shots had a '99 in .358 that he thought I'd be interested in, he said he'd let me take the rifle home if I bought a box of ammo, $22 bucks later! I had it out at the farm and loving that rifle, he wanted $450 for that rifle back then, but $22 was a days wages after uncle got his share. I read everything I could about '99s and found very little on .358, I did learn that I could use the same bullets my .357s did. When the tranny went out in my pick-up on the way to take back the rifle, I had the answer on whether or not to buy that great little rifle.

I wish I had that little rifle! I think it would make a dandy Wyoming rifle.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Man, that hit a nerve. I HAD one back in the early eighties. It was a Series A that was put together at the factory when they found a dozen barrels in .358. (parts clean up)

I do remember it was a tack driver with a 250 gr. Hornady and a dose of IMR 4064 that I can't remember the quantity.

Traded it for a Marlin 336 in 219 Zipper.--------------Sixgun
Model A Uzi’s
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Well my repaired shoulder and broken hand can't handle it, so I have one for sale in the classifieds....
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
Hecter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hecter »

I have a bunch of 99's including a .358win. It shoots 200gr. and 250gr. Hornadys very well. I have a Lyman 57 peep sight on it. I also shoot 205gr. cast bullets at reduced velocity for fun. This load would kill almost any critter I would ever hunt. I like 99's and the .358win is a great cartridge. Recoil with 250gr. loads is a bit stiff , I don't shoot that load often. I bought the gun for black bear hunting in close quarters and have not harvested one yet.