Gentlemen, I need your help about a .45-70!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Henry McCann
Levergunner 2.0

Gentlemen, I need your help about a .45-70!

Post by Henry McCann »

I put this on the Marlin forum already. I'm going to look at a Winchester 1886 Extra Light this weekend. Tang safety and rebounding hammer, I'm guessing. Really not excited about the rebounding hammer or the tang safety for that matter.

It's described as excellent condition, for $850. Worth considering? Can you live with a rebounding hammer? If you have one or had one, how do or did you like it?

I have been in the market for a Marlin 1895 Cowboy, but I like the '86 platform, at least the original version. Thanks in advance,

Brett
"Be kind and polite to everyone you meet; but have a plan on how to kill them." General Mattis
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Gentlemen, I need your help about a .45-70!

Post by kimwcook »

Henry, I think you'll get differing opinions on whether the rebounding hammer set up is okay or not. I have one and I haven't had a problem, yet, but I've only shot a couple hundred rounds out of it. I have the tang sight on it so I don't inadvertently bump the safety or notice it's there. Some say no problems, some say problems. I do plan on changing mine out as muscle memory of firing levers for years makes me subconciously search for the safety notch and I like to keep things KISS. Some other guys will come along with their experiences. Good luck in your search. I really have no idea on the price of the EL.
Old Law Dawg
Henry McCann
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Henry McCann »

kimwcook,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. It sounds like you like yours. Any regrets, or happy to have the rifle, sans rebounding hammer of course?

Brett
"Be kind and polite to everyone you meet; but have a plan on how to kill them." General Mattis
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I think the fit and finish are first rate, just wish it didn't have the tang safety and rebounding hammer. Love the rifle. It's one of the blued 45-90 blackpowder rifles w/oct. bbl.
Old Law Dawg
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Mine has no rebounder or tang safety 'cause they were removed and a proper hammer and trigger installed. :D Image

It once looked like this but has since been changed back to a straight grip. The pistol grip will be re-installed when the shotgun butt stock is finished sometime in the distant future. The crescent stock just looked wrong to me:) Image
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I had a Winchester 86 with the rebounding hammer and tang safety. I had no problems with the rebounding hammer, but I've heard that others have. The fit and finish were excellent.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

850?
I would not sell mine for 1250.
I cut the lower legs off the spring strut and cut a half cock notch in the hammer. You can pull the trigger with much force and drop the hammer from half cock, but it takes an effort to do it and it will not fire a round. Half of the times I experimented with it there wasn't even a dimple in the primer.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

(flame suit on) I have a USRAC 1886EL, and much prefer my Marlin 1895 Cowboy. I installed the happy trigger from WW Guns, and had the butt trimmed an a good Simms put on. It has a nice Marbles Tanger...The 1886EL is NOT EL, and I've had several FTF with it due to the hammer.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Not EL, Blaine? At a shade over 7 1/2 lbs what's heavy? IMO, the 336 is heavy and unwieldy. :mrgreen:
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I've owned two different EL's, a standard Grade, which I sold to buy a High Grade (I liked the better wood, checkering, & engraving much more, for $300 extra).

$850 is an EXCELLENT price - JMO, but yer seriously sick if you don't jump on that in a New York Minute !

I found mine easiest to install a Marbles Tang sight - they have a special model for the tang safety Model 86's, which cover's the tang button (just be sure it's in the fire position prior to install, thassall).

As Tycer mentioned, if anyone gets FTF's with a rebounding hammer, it's a relatively simply chore to slightly shorten the lower tang of the mainspring strut to alleviate any such.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Price as noted is good. Rebounding hammer - I have had one on my first 94 made in 89 for 20 years. I have a 4x scope with it and it comes up with 3/4" in groups at 100 yds with a couple of kinds of ammo. If you don't angst over it I would say it will be fine. I have it on a 25-35 that Jeff Quinn and I have both gotten inch groups out of. Have it on BB 94 in 444 that shoots as well. Some are just torqued about it but it works fine in my view. I also like the tang safety by my first double had one so it seems natural to me.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Henry McCann
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Henry McCann »

Just the kind of quality information I expected from this group...thank you for your time and experience. As I said I will have a chance to look at it this weekend.

Best Regards, Brett
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mike D. wrote:Not EL, Blaine? At a shade over 7 1/2 lbs what's heavy? IMO, the 336 is heavy and unwieldy. :mrgreen:
WellSir, the CB weighs in at a hair under 7, and IMO balances better, so it feels lighter. That prolly don't hold for everyone :wink: I dang sure have the better trigger, though :!:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Yes, off the shelf it does, but if you simply add a Browning 1886 trigger the game changes. It all boils down to what you like. For simplicity of the action the Marlin wins, but when strength becomes a factor it's all 1886.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mike D. wrote:Yes, off the shelf it does, but if you simply add a Browning 1886 trigger the game changes. It all boils down to what you like. For simplicity of the action the Marlin wins, but when strength becomes a factor it's all 1886.
I'm holding on to mine in case money and the whim for a nice 50-110 happens at once. :D Or maybe a little custom trapper. :o

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV