338 Federal--Any First or Second Hand Data?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

338 Federal--Any First or Second Hand Data?

Post by Blaine »

It's been awhile since they came out. A Tikka in that caliber caught my eye and might once again some day. Any one have a .338 Fed, or know someone who has one? It's so close to a 338-08, that there is no difference, I'd say. Also, if you are not set on a short action, the 338-06 would be a better choice. Hmm..maybe I DON'T want one :roll:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Re: 338 Federal--Any First or Second Hand Data?

Post by brno602 »

Just buy the Tika! they are that good,makes other guns look like junk for the price in how they shoot. The little .338 is a great cal can do anything the 06 can plus a bit more second hand info here.
My best friend who is a .308 nut bought one has killed two moose and one elk with it over the last five years he uses the Nosler 210gr part. Me I got a .358 Same thing just a tad bigger bore and really like it but mine is a lever so it makes me better than him lol.
I find it has not much recoil for what the Crony say's it put's out and is a great shooting gun. . But I hope you reload as I bet you will not find ammo for it!
I think it is a dead cal just like so many medium bores. well not dead but just hanging in.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

[quote="brno602"]Just buy the Tika! they are that good,makes other guns look like junk for the price in how they shoot. The little .338 is a great cal can do anything the 06 can plus a bit more second hand info here.
My best friend who is a .308 nut bought one has killed two moose and one elk with it over the last five years he uses the Nosler 210gr part. Me I got a .358 Same thing just a tad bigger bore and really like it but mine is a lever so it makes me better than him lol.
I find it has not much recoil for what the Crony say's it put's out and is a great shooting gun. . But I hope you reload as I bet you will not find ammo for it!
I think it is a dead cal just like so many medium bores. well not dead but just hanging in.[/quote]

I already have an orphan .284 in a Model 88...maybe I should just re-barrel my Ruger '06 to Whelen, or 338-06 :idea:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

BlaineG wrote:
brno602 wrote:Just buy the Tika! they are that good,makes other guns look like junk for the price in how they shoot. The little .338 is a great cal can do anything the 06 can plus a bit more second hand info here.
I think it is a dead cal just like so many medium bores. well not dead but just hanging in.[/quote]

I already have an orphan .284 in a Model 88...maybe I should just re-barrel my Ruger '06 to Whelen, or 338-06 :idea:
I have a 99 in .284 love it! I always wanted a Whelen but have a Husky in .358 Norma.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Would be nice in a savage 99 and BLR. Those two are already available in 358 WCF, so i guess it wouldn't make much sense
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

tman wrote:Would be nice in a savage 99 and BLR. Those two are already available in 358 WCF, so i guess it wouldn't make much sense
Should be a pretty easy .308 rebarrel job. 1886.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I just remembered that I have a 336 that was reamed to .358 and have been wondering if it's safe to shoot....the fella that I got it from, a reliable person, has personally shot it and knows that the orginal owner shot it, as well. I might have to clean that up and use it, tho I might be wise to reduce it to starting loads. :shock:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Henry McCann
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Henry McCann »

As tman already stated, I would love one on a BLR. but, I have one in .358 so it would be redundant, but still way fun!
"Be kind and polite to everyone you meet; but have a plan on how to kill them." General Mattis
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

tman wrote:Would be nice in a savage 99 and BLR. Those two are already available in 358 WCF, so i guess it wouldn't make much sense
I think DPMS makes an "AR-10" in 338 Federal, don't they...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "