Winchester/Miroku Model 71

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Winchester/Miroku Model 71

Post by Cimarron Red »

For those of you who don't mind, can grudgingly accept or will alter the lawyer-mandated safety mechanisms on a Miroku levergun, here are some short videos, one featuring a new Winchester Model 71 just introduced at the Shot Show (along with some other guns):

http://www.winchesterguns.com/library/a ... asp?id=292
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Re: Winchester/Miroku Model 71

Post by mod71alaska »

Who would have guessed...a new Winchester Model 71!!! Looks like Winchester will continue to make .348 ammo!
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

mod71alaska,

Yep. You'd have to think that this will at least extend the production life of the .348 cartridge.
WinM71
Levergunner 2.0

Post by WinM71 »

Will these, indeed, be "lawyered up"? Wonder what the price will be.
My mind reader refuses to charge me..........

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you somethin'. That ain't an optical illusion, it only LOOKS LIKE an optical illusion.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

mod71alaska wrote:Who would have guessed...a new Winchester Model 71!!! Looks like Winchester will continue to make .348 ammo!
Wow, factory ammo. I've never shot any factory ammo out of my 71. I have some old stuff but I've never seen current manufactured ammo.
Ricky

DWWC
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

WinM71,

You can see a tang safety in the video.
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

Looks a nice rifle. I might start counting my penny's with the hope that a few come down under.

Shame they are not making the carbine though.
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

Other thoughts:

1. Will they sell the excellent tang mounted peep sight as an accessory. PLEEEZ MR BROWNING PLEEEZ.

What impact will this rifle- if built to traditional high Miroku 'Jap Browning' standards, have on the price of North Haven originals?

Sorry- I don't mean to side line the stream but these questions appear on topic.
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

Winchester has a coupla interesting offerings there...!!!
PLEEEZE tell me that "winchester.com" thing on the bbl. peels off...!!!????
I'm another who has never fired factory ammo outta my (Win. original) M71, and don't plan to so I have no dog in that pile. I suppose some fresh factory ammo might make for more reloadable brass showing up...so it's a good thing for us casters.
Thanks for the update, and congratulations to Winchester...!!
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Never saw this one coming 8) Hope winchester makes more ammo, makes it in large enough quantities and at a reasonable price. Hope the gun makes it and sticks around awhile :?:
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

Lawyer Daggit wrote:Other thoughts:

1. Will they sell the excellent tang mounted peep sight as an accessory. PLEEEZ MR BROWNING PLEEEZ.

What impact will this rifle- if built to traditional high Miroku 'Jap Browning' standards, have on the price of North Haven originals?

Sorry- I don't mean to side line the stream but these questions appear on topic.
Has the production of Browning and new Winchester 1886 rifles affected the price of old 1886 rifles? I don't think so.
New production means more brass and maybe new projectiles (like Barnes X bullets) becoming available. Don't know that I would want one with the safety junk on it though
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

Great news for all 348 Winchester fans. I still prefer the Browning approach from Mirokou without the safety and RB hammer over the Winchester lawyered up versions, but new life for the 71 and the 348 is a good thing. New ammo and loading components. This should be fun.

Maybe even some gummy tipped pointy bullets to try and experiment with and discard as a continued bad idea. :roll:

Okay, but the renewed life for the 71 and 348 is a good thing!
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

Wow - at least 3 guns I want there... have to save my pennies :(
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Sorry, no false "safeties" for me; my original 71 still works as it should. :|
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I'm not sure how fast those will move once people see that a case of ammo costs nearly what the rifle does. :roll:
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

I do hope that they are released and that 348 ammo and reloading components become more available.

Dave B
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Why do you figure he went to the trouble to point out that the fore-end cap was made of steel? Do you think they thought long and hard about making it out of plastic? I wonder if they tried to use plastic for the buttplate and fore-end cap and the Japanese at Miroku balked. :roll: Maybe Miroku didn't want to taint their reputation for quality.

Do you think anyone from the group that handles Winchester lever-action product decisions ever stops by here? I hate to say it, but I'd bet they don't even know this place exists.

What happens if the Winchester brand people that make rifle decisions forget to talk to the other corporation that makes Winchester brand ammunition and they don't have .348 WCF on the shelves when the rifles come out? I've only ever ordered .348 over the internet. The last time I saw an actual box on a retail shelf I think it was the Browning stuff back around 1990. Of course, there's not much around here requiring the .348's power. Maybe the stuff is falling off the shelves up in Alaska still.

Wow, for some reason I've got a dismal outlook about this. I guess it's better than no 71 at all.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:Why do you figure he went to the trouble to point out that the fore-end cap was made of steel? Do you think they thought long and hard about making it out of plastic? I wonder if they tried to use plastic for the buttplate and fore-end cap and the Japanese at Miroku balked. :roll: Maybe Miroku didn't want to taint their reputation for quality.

Do you think anyone from the group that handles Winchester lever-action product decisions ever stops by here? I hate to say it, but I'd bet they don't even know this place exists.

What happens if the Winchester brand people that make rifle decisions forget to talk to the other corporation that makes Winchester brand ammunition and they don't have .348 WCF on the shelves when the rifles come out? I've only ever ordered .348 over the internet. The last time I saw an actual box on a retail shelf I think it was the Browning stuff back around 1990. Of course, there's not much around here requiring the .348's power. Maybe the stuff is falling off the shelves up in Alaska still.

Wow, for some reason I've got a dismal outlook about this. I guess it's better than no 71 at all.
Hey, Don't jinx it :wink: I need some fresh loaded ammo at a decent price :oops:
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Apparently Winchester Ammunition is making the .348 currently:

http://www.winchester.com/Products/rifl ... Winchester
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I have a couple of the Miroku made Winchesters and I'm very impressed with the way that they are made.
Like many others I'm not overjoyed by the rebounding hammers. The tang safety doesn't bother me though.
I certainly couldn't begin to afford an original production '86 EL or 1895 in new condition so the Mirokus are much appreciated.

The 71 is intriguing but the 1885 sporter in 40-65 really got my attention. :D

Jack
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Winchester engineers created the 71 .348 WCF for those heading to Alaska to prospect for gold, explore or hunt big game . The rifle was designed to take abuse, neglect and infrequent cleaning and maintance, sort of like a Glock handgun. The .348 could stop a brown bear and take an elk at 200 yards. It should have called the MODEL 71 ALASKAN. But this was in an age before elk, moose and bear morphed into bullet proof armour plated skin, and only a .375 H&H would be cosidered minimun. For those who don't read gun magazines, the 348 is the cat's *** for North american big game hunting at practical ranges that big game is hunted.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Cimarron Red wrote:Apparently Winchester Ammunition is making the .348 currently:

http://www.winchester.com/Products/rifl ... Winchester
They claimed to have run their last batch of X3483 last year. Distribution ran out of it this past summer. MidwayUSA marked it as "Discontinued" from a category of "Seasonal Run".

Obviously, they might have to reconsider at this point.
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Buffalo Arms has brass at $75 per hundred:

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,158.html
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

Cimarron Red wrote:Buffalo Arms has brass at $75 per hundred:

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,158.html
I get mine from Sinclair International. About the same price per hundred.

Also, Able Ammo still has Winchester Silvertip Factory ammo in stock for sale.
Paul Jenkins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul Jenkins »

Gentlemen,
Will someone tell me why the .348 even came into being. I don't think it will do anything the .45-7o can't do and it appearrs to me to be an 1886. I have owned both & prefer the '86.In .45-70. Seems like an upgrade that was useless.???? I really would like to know what the improovement was.???
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

I have not seen pics or videos of the new 71 yet. Does anyone know if they made the upper tang short as on most original Winchester 71's or if they went with the longer tang as on the earliest of the 71's?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Paul Jenkins wrote:Gentlemen,
Will someone tell me why the .348 even came into being. I don't think it will do anything the .45-7o can't do and it appearrs to me to be an 1886. I have owned both & prefer the '86.In .45-70. Seems like an upgrade that was useless.???? I really would like to know what the improovement was.???
I read or heard somewhere that the '71 was an 1886 with the locking lugs at a slightly greater angle (less upright) for smoother levering, and with modern steels, a higher pressure cartridge was doable. That might be wrong... but... that's what I heard or read...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

I just watched the video and this new 71 does indeed have the short tang. The buttstock has the high comb on it too like on the Browning 71. That really jabs you in the cheek! My original Win 71 lacks the high comb and therefore does not nail you so hard.
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

I notice that he calls it as a Standard Model 71. I wonder, will a Deluxe Model 71 be offered?

Dave B
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Do you think anyone from the group that handles Winchester lever-action product decisions ever stops by here? I hate to say it, but I'd bet they don't even know this place exists.

I suspect they know its here, I'm also betting they don't pay much attention to the grousing and rumblin that goes on around here about ANY new product otherwise they'ld probably quit makin guns and take up golf... :roll:
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Keep in mind also that these SHOT show special guns are limited quantity, they're only make as many as they get orders for, so you won't be subjected to the abuse of having them readily available... :?
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I'm interested in getting one. Then a trip to Turnbull to have it unlawyered and I'll have a nice gun!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

buckeyeshooter wrote:I'm interested in getting one. Then a trip to Turnbull to have it unlawyered and I'll have a nice gun!
Might as well have it color cased while it's lying around their shop. :wink:
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

Griff wrote:
Paul Jenkins wrote:Gentlemen,
I read or heard somewhere that the '71 was an 1886 with the locking lugs at a slightly greater angle (less upright) for smoother levering, and with modern steels, a higher pressure cartridge was doable. That might be wrong... but... that's what I heard or read...
From what I understand they changed a few things in the action to make it less expencive to manufacture, there where going to call it the 1886 Jubalee because of the date it was made, then the boys as Winchester decided to change the modle designation, and called it the Modle 71, even though it was in stores before the Modle 70.
The 348 was supposed to replace the 33, and the 405, remember at the time the 45-70 was a black powder round, and not nearly as powerful as it is now in new strong guns, if you look at the balistics of the 348 it is right up there with some of the "Magnum" ammo that we have available today...at least this is what I have read.
Terry
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

The .348WCF came out along with the model 71 about 1935, 36. It was advertised as having 30-06 ballistics with a larger diameter bullet. The 45-70 was only factory loaded to anemic black powder statistics at that time. By then the 405 was long absolete. A 200 grain bullet at 2500 fps was more than enough for Alaskan game, before it developed body armour.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Someone just posted on Castbullets, that they handled the shotshow 71 today and it has halfcock hammer and not the rebounding hammer.
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

Don McDowell wrote:Someone just posted on Castbullets, that they handled the shotshow 71 today and it has halfcock hammer and not the rebounding hammer.
Did he mention about the 92's?
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

No just the 71
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

If you look closely, you can see the tang safety lever on ALL new Winchester levers, i.e. 86's 92's 94's 95's and now also 71's.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:
buckeyeshooter wrote:I'm interested in getting one. Then a trip to Turnbull to have it unlawyered and I'll have a nice gun!
Might as well have it color cased while it's lying around their shop. :wink:

you are correct! While its there, might as well get it done.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

kaschi wrote:If you look closely, you can see the tang safety lever on ALL new Winchester levers, i.e. 86's 92's 94's 95's and now also 71's.
Perhaps the one in the video was mocked up from one of their Miroku 86's with the tang safety? Thus the discrepancy between the video and the one being show at the SHOT show?
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Here's the link from the Winchester site:

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/ ... amily=025C

That's pretty. :)

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

If I'm not buying an original 71, I'd MUCH MUCH MUCH rather have a Browning 71 than this new lawyered-up Winchester. The Browning is less money, too!
WinM71
Levergunner 2.0

Post by WinM71 »

I agree with Victor. The Browning vs. Winchester name doesn't matter, it's a Miroku. To me the as-close-to-original-as-you'll-get Browning is preferable to the doubly lawyered-up "Winchester".
My mind reader refuses to charge me..........

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you somethin'. That ain't an optical illusion, it only LOOKS LIKE an optical illusion.
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

Hey fellows,lighten up a little. We ALL love our orig. Wins. and our Brownchesters,I have 4 of them .After all we have talked about reviving the M-71,apparently someone listened,they are here. I for one am overjoyed that my beloved M-71 has been reborn. It might just attract a whole new following for those who cannot afford the originals.I think there is alot more to like about it than not. Hopefully Winchester will provide the ammo,also.Bring em' on !!!!!!!!!!! My 2 bits...............
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Boreman wrote:Hey fellows,lighten up a little. We ALL love our orig. Wins. and our Brownchesters,I have 4 of them .After all we have talked about reviving the M-71,apparently someone listened,they are here. I for one am overjoyed that my beloved M-71 has been reborn. It might just attract a whole new following for those who cannot afford the originals.I think there is alot more to like about it than not. Hopefully Winchester will provide the ammo,also.Bring em' on !!!!!!!!!!! My 2 bits...............
Notwithstanding what I said a couple of post back, you are exactly right, Ron, and I totally agree with you even though I might not buy one of the new Winchester 71s. Well said!
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Winchester may have taken note that Pedersoli is supposed to have a 71 on the market. That may have helped them make the decision to have one made by Miroku. Who knows, maybe they'll wake up and start making 66's, 73's and 76's..... I can just see the catalog headline: "Winchester is proud to recreate the Model 66- the first lever action rifle with the Winchester name on it".... then fudge it up with a TANG SAFETY & REBOUNDING HAMMER Boo, Hiss :(:(:(:
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

kaschi wrote:Winchester may have taken note that Pedersoli is supposed to have a 71 on the market. That may have helped them make the decision to have one made by Miroku. Who knows, maybe they'll wake up and start making 66's, 73's and 76's..... I can just see the catalog headline: "Winchester is proud to recreate the Model 66- the first lever action rifle with the Winchester name on it".... then fudge it up with a TANG SAFETY & REBOUNDING HAMMER Boo, Hiss :(:(:(:
I think they have decided that the rebounding hammer is a deal breaker since they did not incorperate it into the new 71, I could live with the tang safty, just put the tang site on it and be happy with it.
Terry
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

And please bring back all 3 loads in the 348 Winchester Silvertip line. 150. 200 and 250.
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

SJPrice wrote:And please bring back all 3 loads in the 348 Winchester Silvertip line. 150. 200 and 250.
Yes by all means PLEASE, and affordable.
My boys and I where headed to Wy. for a goose hunt at thanksgiving time, we stopped in Evanston to buy gas, and pick up our licenses, in the store I seen a couple of boxes of Winchester 200 grain silvertips, I made a mental note because I had been looking for another 71, I thought the price was in the $30.00 range, I remember thinking those must have been on the shelf for a long time, anyway once I got the gun I called the store, which had just moved so everything must have gotten reviewed, those shells where now in the $70.00 range, needless to say I did not go get them.
Terry