Replacing Tupperware with a Lever...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Replacing Tupperware with a Lever...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I'm seriously considering swapping my G19 & accessories for the 1895GS I have on layaway.

(A) I really only carry either my SP101 or my NAA .32 depending on clothing.
(B) I hate 9mm
(C) I'm shifting jobs at work and won't need to practice with a Glock any more.

BUT... given that I do have the cash for the transaction, is dropping another gun from the backup/inventory a good idea (especially since it also shoots .22LR)?

Thoughts please...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Hobie

Re: Replacing Tupperware with a Lever...

Post by Hobie »

I hate Glocks. You have to use one, maybe not now, but in the future. Your position might put you in a position again where you have to. I'm a strong believe in the bird in hand theory, the Glock is in hand ESPECIALLY since it shoots .22LR.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Hobie wrote:I hate Glocks. You have to use one, maybe not now, but in the future. Your position might put you in a position again where you have to. I'm a strong believe in the bird in hand theory, the Glock is in hand ESPECIALLY since it shoots .22LR.
Yah, that's the thing...

Honestly, if I had been smarter and bought a 10mm the question would be academic. But I have a 9mm... Image
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I understand... Seriously, it seems the Glock is a necessity to you, pay out for the 1895.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

On the other hand..... If you're dealing with JJ , he'll treat you right on the trade, and if at a future point you need to reaquire a Glock for duty purposes, he'll sell you one at his LEO rate....
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Don McDowell wrote:On the other hand..... If you're dealing with JJ , he'll treat you right on the trade, and if at a future point you need to reaquire a Glock for duty purposes, he'll sell you one at his LEO rate....
yeah. JJ & I have worked on a few deals... :wink:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

keep the Glock. Not worth a whole heck of a lot used anyway.

I never liked them either until I bought a pair on sale. Was really taken with the green frames.
Meanwhile, I've run 5000+ rounds through my G19 with only one jam and it was my fault.

If the world goes to pot 9mm's and Glock mags will be as easy to find as .45s and 1911 magazines.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

You can't buy a better combat handgun than a glock. They go bang everytime nomatter how hard you abuse it. Feeds hollow points like no other. reasonably priced, you don't have to throw away 2/3's of a new hangun and send it to a gunsmith and pay a small fortune to get it to run right. Keep the glock.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Old Ironsights wrote: BUT... given that I do have the cash for the transaction, is dropping another gun from the backup/inventory a good idea (especially since it also shoots .22LR)?

Thoughts please...
NO!
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

I don't like Glocks either, but as others have said, ...a bird in the hand.... I second the comment about availability of 9mm and Glock parts if TEOTWAWKI ever comes to pass. Heck, wrap it up and bury it for a rainy day -- can't hurt a Glock.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It's fascinating how MANY of us say things like,
  • "I hate Glocks but they're nearly indestructable, utterly reliable, and 'generic' enough that they make a top-notch survival/military/CCW gun..."

We all seem to revere the 1911's, maybe the 'CZ' designs, or the open-slides like the Beretta & Taurus 92, but not the Glocks. But most of us would gladly HAVE a Glock, whether as a 'survival kit' gun, 'truck' gun, or whatever, and we all seem to agree they are awesome guns other than they look funny and are made of plastic.

Dunno why that is.

For me, I think it's the fact that all the semiauto handguns I've handled EXCEPT the 1911, CZ, and '92', just have TOO MANY SMALL FRAGILE-LOOKING PARTS!

Anyway, back to the OP's question - yes, if it is a Glock, and also fires .22 LR, it's actually a pretty PRACTICAL gun, even if it isn't pretty, isn't fun, isn't historic, or isn't anything else. I'm glad I sold the one I had years ago, before I started thinking 'practical' - otherwise I'd never have gotten rid of it... :roll:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

I owned a Glock M19 ages ago and sold it off. I really don't regret it and bought a Ruger SP 101 for daily use.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Hang on to it OI :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

I do not Like Glocks either, I also never liked ( HATED ) the 9mm
That being said Glocks are very reliable , very accurate and forgiving for those who do not regularly take care of their firearms . ( Hence, that is the second biggest reason they are popular in Police circles)( cops are notoriusly lousy at taking care of their weapons )
SO for most people out there Glocks are the answer , and a good one. If I HAD to have a Glock because it was issued, and I had no other choice, I would not lose sleep. IM sure I could make do.
I am not as experienced as most with Glocks I have limited use . I did test a few in the 90s for the Police dept I was the firearms Instructor for and did test a few in 9mm , 40 , and 10mm. ( the 10mm we only put about 7K rounds thru) 9s and 40s a bit more .
I own 4 semi auto hand guns Belgium HI POWER 9mm , HK-USP in 40, SMITH 10mm, and Kimber 45acp. HMMMM NO glock !!!!!!!!!!!!!
I would trade the G19 in a heart beat for an M95, in any configuration.
BAck when all you could get was 9mm 115 FMJ or 100 grain HPs,the 9mm was a real dud . Today between buying premium ammo in 124/125 grain GOOD bullets and reloading with NEW highly reliable components, the 9 is superior to 38 SPL+P in the same bullet weight categories, so It is no longer on my feces list.
The right way is always the hardest. It's like the law of nature , water always takes the path of least resistence...... That's why we get crooked rivers and crooked men . TR Theodore the Great
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

I'd make that trade in a heartbeat. I GAVE my younger brother my old G19 as a birthday present simply because it's a boring gun to shoot. He wanted it and I didn't. Besides I plan to replace it with either a Browning Hi-Power or Beretta M92.

Do it.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

The way things have been going in the news here lately, you might not want to sell that Glock, or anything else for that matter.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Old Ironsights wrote:Igiven that I do have the cash for the transaction, is dropping another gun from the backup/inventory a good idea (especially since it also shoots .22LR)?
I wouldn't because of the part in bold but I'm also a sucker for rimfires. :lol:

I think keeping the combo around is a good idea and falls under the "just because" heading. You may not shoot the 9mm upper much but you can get a lot of miles out of the .22 for fun and "just because".

Now iffn's you just wanted to box that .22 upper up and send it to me, I wouldn't complain. :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I like Grocks ! :lol: Ones i have had in the past were great companions. I went longer than i care to admit without cleaning or lubing my G21 and the gun simply did not care --- i only cleaned it when the accuracy began to suffer a bit.

the last Glock i had i lost in a motor home fire and have not replaced it yet because i got "sidetracked" with 1911's -- I shoot the 1911 more accurately than i ever did the Glock --- that said , i want to try a long slide 10mm version ala COSteve's someday.

If you haveta sell it , sell it, but you might miss the ugly little thing later , I do (but then again, now when i have a spare 500 bucks laying around, i tend to put other things in front of another defensive oriented handgun too )
----- Doug
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

I had a Ruger Security Six 6" barrel. I had a Ruger Model 77 in 30/06. I had a Winchester 1300 in 12 ga. For almost 30 yrs., I continue to wish I had the Security Six back. Never missed the other 2. Even though I traded, I still had the same ol' monthly bills the next month. Since you can afford to pay for the 1895, that's what I'd do to keep from regretting the loss of the .22LR conversion. Who knows, you might want that Glock as barter in the not too distant future. And barter then might just be the most valuable form of money at the time.

rimrock
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

i dont particularly care for glocks....
but i think i would keep it if ya cant get a really ...
realy good deal on a trade...
OTOH...the glock has a better capacity than the sp101 and the 32
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I seriously try, anymore after a few got away, to never get rid of a gun, but add to the inventory.
Old Law Dawg
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I just can't get comfortable with the grip on a glock. I have never felt anything more uncomfortable than a Glock's grip, unless it was Army Issue underwear.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

If you know it and are comfortable with it I would keep it. I bought a NIB Glock 21SF from a guy at work a couple years ago. My intent was to re-sell it as I had never held, fired, or cared for Glocks. Finally curiosity being what it is I tried it when nobody was looking. It shot WAY better than I thought it would and recoil was light. I have always carried 1911's and still do but the Glock has become my nightstand gun with a TLR-1 on the rail. I like to think of it like a handgun version of an AK. It ain't much but it can be depended on.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I know, ITS JUST A GLOCK, but even GLOCKS need a good home. As long as the place has layaway I would pay it out as needed and keep my cash on hand. These days CASH and a GLOCK are both good to have!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Scharms
Levergunner

Post by Scharms »

Good trade! I have owned 3 Glocks, and none would shoot to POA. Groups looked like shotgun patterns, I take my clunky old 1911 any day! And like many others here my carry gun is a Ruger SP101.
"I prefer the company of peasants because they have not been educated sufficiently to reason incorrectly" -Michel de Montaigne