348 Winchester

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 348 Winchester

Post by cshold »

Drool rag special 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
carbluesnake
Levergunner 2.0

Post by carbluesnake »

58.0 gr. 4350 with a 200 gr. Hornady, velocity 2340 fps. It will thump steel at 100 yards with authority. Try shooting some T1 or AR500 steel, but no closer than 100 yards. Shoot em with a 30/30 or so, and then with the 348. It will impress you with the difference between the old reliable 30/30 and the 348.
gordylew
Levergunner 1.0

Post by gordylew »

I guess I'll chime in on this topic as well. My screen name on Rugerforum is Winchester348, Seems I remember someone had already claimed it when I joined this forum. lol
When I was a kid 13-14, I grew up in what was rural metro Atlanta. Wasn't much to do around there for a kid other then play in the woods. A gun shop opened up across the street from my subdivision. I was drawn to it like a moth to a candle. The fellow that owned it one day told me " If your going too hang out here all the time, sweep the floor! From that day forward until the shop closed when I was in my twenties I worked there. One day a fellow came in with a big box. He threw it up on the counter and said I could have it. It was an old man's he knew cartridge collection. From Pinfire French rounds to .477 Snyder and about every thing in between. The one cartridge that for some reason I became fascinated with was a single Remington .348 Winchester round. I began looking through old Shooters Bibles and found the Winchester 71. I vowed to own one. A few years later Browning reintroduced the 71. My cost was around $600 whole sale from what I remember. But at $ 3.35 an hour it could have been a million dollars. I could not afford to order one. step forward nearly 30 years and the advent of the internet I finally was able to pick one up. A nice in the box Browning grade 1 rifle. A few months later I did find a Winchester made in 1952 on an auction site with a buy it now for $825. I nearly broke a finger hitting the enter key. The Winchester had a correct era scope in side mounts on it but the finish was 95% besides the extra holes. I did not want a museum piece I wanted a shooter. I was very happy. The story even got better when a friend told me of a shop on the other side of Atlanta had a whole unopened case of Winchester 200 gr st. I told him he was crazy and probably read it wrong. I made the 80 mile drive and low behold a case of old stock Winchester 348. I still have not shot up a box yet. lol
Sorry long post but the .348 is my baby
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

SJPrice wrote:Sounds like your good luck. I just checked their website and they are listed as "unavailable"

348 WINCHESTER RULE NUMBER 1

When you see components for 348winchester, BUY THEM :!:

Period.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

big bear wrote:
SJPrice wrote:Sounds like your good luck. I just checked their website and they are listed as "unavailable"

348 WINCHESTER RULE NUMBER 1

When you see components for 348winchester, BUY THEM :!:

Period.
I don't know.....

I have over 2000 bullets, 500 pieces of new brass, and 300 rounds of factory ammo (never fired any BTW)...

Can I stop hoarding now? :lol:
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I dont have quite that much brass or bullets, but I think I'll be OK for the forseeable future of hunting and occasional shooting. I finally stopped buying components unless they were truly cheap. Its fun to find partial or full boxes of bullets at gun shows for much less per rd than new stuff.

The one box of factory ammo I have is 150 gr Western (full box) in the blue and yellow box, with red lettering. I bought it mostly because it was a cool old box. I had to give $20 for it.

Love my 71. I carry it a fair bit in the summer in bear country. Its my favorite grouse gun now, with .350" round balls and 4 grs red Dot or Unique. I leave the magazine loaded with full power stuff and single load the grouse loads.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

Malamute wrote:I dont have quite that much brass or bullets, but I think I'll be OK for the forseeable future of hunting and occasional shooting. I finally stopped buying components unless they were truly cheap. Its fun to find partial or full boxes of bullets at gun shows for much less per rd than new stuff.

The one box of factory ammo I have is 150 gr Western (full box) in the blue and yellow box, with red lettering. I bought it mostly because it was a cool old box. I had to give $20 for it.

Love my 71. I carry it a fair bit in the summer in bear country. Its my favorite grouse gun now, with .350" round balls and 4 grs red Dot or Unique. I leave the magazine loaded with full power stuff and single load the grouse loads.
Could you elaborate on how you load your grouse load? do you use a filler, etc. Sounds like a great idea. We can't carry pistols in the bush here , so something for grouse when walking the woods deer and elk hunting would be very nice indeed.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

I am also a 348aholic :wink: My obsession was factory rounds with 250 silvertips. I did expend some for pressure testing (when I had the equipment) but still have ~70 rds left. Probably will go up for sale from my estate after the dirt nap.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

big bear wrote:Could you elaborate on how you load your grouse load? do you use a filler, etc. Sounds like a great idea. We can't carry pistols in the bush here , so something for grouse when walking the woods deer and elk hunting would be very nice indeed.
I lube the balls with Lee liquid alox. Dump some in a plastic margarine tub, drip some lube on them, roll around to coat, dump out on wax paper to dry.

I do use some dacron pillow stuffing. A tiny pinch, rolled into a ball large enough to hold the powder towards the back, seated gently over the powder with an unsharpened pencil. I've used Unique without it, but have had very erratic ignition when used pointed in various angles of up and down. One shot on a largish rattlesnake from the 45-70 was a soft one and the ball bounced off the snakes head while my dogs were highly curious aout it (after having dragged it out of a bush). That was the end of no dacron fluff. They all go bang with the dacron fluff regardless of angle used.

348 I use 4 gr Unique or Red Dot. Other powders may work OK (the low vel tests by Greg Mushial may give ideas about other powders), those are all I've tried. Red Dot is supposed to be less position sensitive than Unique, but old habits die hard. I may do some tests one day and see if it works OK without. I dont think the exact amount is critical, and trying changes in the load may give better accuracy. Mine are the first load I tried, it works, accurate enough to shoot grouse and bunnies, and simple, so load developement was over at that point. I think it was a charge that a Lee dipper throws, at least in the 30-30 it probably was.

I seat the balls with the major diameter just barely in the case, then very gently crimp. I used a Lyman M expander die to flair the case slightly first. They need a fair grip on the ball, otherwise the ball can end up pushed back in the case.

I load 30-30 round balls the same way, only 3 grs Unique or Red Dot, and a .310 or .315 round ball. Very good for grouse, bunnies, snakes, or plinking in the yard. They make about as much noise as a standard vel 22 LR. I shot a trophy class bull mouse in my yard one night with the 30-30 load. It was raiding my bird seed. Very decisive stopper on a bull mouse. Sore Shoulder has seen the results of shooting a rattlesnake in the head with this load. No head. Doesnt tear up grouse or bunnies tho, but I try to head shoot the grouse just as a challenge and to make cleaning them cleaner.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

Boreman wrote:
Mike D. wrote:Luckily, for me, I have 20 boxes of W-W 200 Silvertip ammo, about 200 of those bullets and the same number of 200 Hornadys. That, plus a few hundred new brass and 100 rds reloads, plus the original owner's dies came with my gun several years ago. No need for anything to do with the .348, except shoot it. :D
I like the way Mike D has planned for his M-71/348
I have the following items for my beloved M-71's.I have tried to planned ahead,also.I really like my M-71's................alot!!!!!!!!!!
1675 /200gr Hornadys
100 / 220gr Barnes
100 / 250gr Barnes
88 / 150gr Remington
264 / 200gr Remington
150 / 180gr Speer
50 / 220gr Speer
125 / 150gr Winchester ST
100 / 200gr Winchester ST
277 / 250gr cast
910 / Rounds of brass
60 / Rounds 200gr Win ST
30 / Rounds 250gr Win ST
I forgot to add 80 rds of various reloads.

And any thing else I can find along the way.....................
Since I last posted this list of components for my M-71's Awesome rifle) I have been able to pick up
more goodies to add to the list:
135 Speer 220gr
250 Winchester 250gr ST
340 Hawk 165 gr
395 Hornady 200 gr
35 Winchester 200gr St
100 Remington 200gr
I may have missed some others in the count, but I keep looking for all I can get.Call me greedy I don't mind when it comes to my favorite rifle/cartridge combo.
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
450 Fuller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 450 Fuller »

Time to rejuvenate this 348 area of interest. Maybe "resurrect" interest. Since I am older than the new brass offered now....
I have some "standing bear' original 250 gr ST boxes. You can't have too many 86s or Model 71 rifles.

The "new" premium bullets in 348, like Swift, Woodleigh, North Fork, and Alaska bullet Works are 1st class.
The North Fork bullets are 230 gr-about ideal for the original 348 Chambering in the M-71.

Have a 348 Ackley that really acts like a 35 Whelen lever action. Hard to beat. The 450 Fuller-Alaskans
are for bears that you run into unexpected like. Have one of each on pre-war Model 71s. If you place a short tang later rifle against
a LT pre-war version; You can tell the difference. The later rifle, above about 16, XXX...will have a moving trigger with the hammer set on half-cock. It may be audible. Hang on to your 348 components.
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

Ran into this old thread looking for info on how the Flextip bullets performed on game. I was wondering if any 71 aficionados were still hanging around? Anybody shot any game with the Leverevolution ammo? I bought 4 boxes of it before Found out the brass was shorter than standard. So now i've picked a few boxes of the Flextip bullets to reload the short brass with. Sith the cost of ammo these days I was thinking of selling the whole lot to keep my 348 reloading simple.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Did you measure the Leverevolution brass?
The reason it is shortened is to allow it to cycle through Marlin Actions, so only certain calibers (not all calibers) require that the brass be trimmed shorter.

.348 brass does not have to be excessively shortened to shoot FTX bullets.

I use mostly barnes 220 and Swift A-frame bullets.
Flattening trajectory on an iron sighted levergun is mostly marketing....
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Hornady flex tips are their sst bullet with a flex tip they are not as tough as a interlok bullet. I was with a friend that wacked a elk in the shoulder with a 35 rem with a flex tip, we had a long day of tracking, don't use them for shoulder shooting large animals.
I have used the hdy 200 gr interlok on elk with good results but have upgraded to the beartooth 245gr fngc as I like hunting north slope alder thickets and I have bumped into brownies in there. I can't keep those 245's in a elk. I have even used a 173gr beartooth fngc in a 30/30 on deer and elk. Save the flex tips for paper punching.
If I had to load a copper & lead bullet I would look to Barnes original 250, swift or a hawk bullet. danny