OT a Little The .358 Winchester Bolt

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

OT a Little The .358 Winchester Bolt

Post by Bigahh »

Got kind of a neat story for anyone I can get to listen so I thought i would try you guys out, here goes. Our Deer camp of 5 guys got lucky enough this year to fill up early on our 11 day vacation. We frequented the local Restaurants for Breakfast, and Coffee every morning. I met a 71 year Old gentleman there named Jim who is actually a neighbor 10 miles down the road from my place who happened to know my Grandfather, and father fairly well. He asked us to his cabin for breakfast the next day. We arrived, and he had the neatest place I ever had coffee in. Wish I had pictures. He had no power, and used a Generator. He cooked with an Antique Wood cook stove his Mother used back in the day. He was making Pumpkin Pies in the oven of the stove when we arrived! From the Mounts on his wall I knew he was a serious Hunter. When someone with the experience Jim has talks I listen. He showed me his rifle he bought new the year he built the cabin in 1963. It was a Pre 64 Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in .358 Winchester. It was on the shelf for awhile before he bought it I guess, so im not sure of the year.He said he has shot many Bucks throughout the years, I could see there were some big ones, and stated that with that Caliber not much Tracking is needed! He has most of our Guys completely talked into getting a .358 . We are headed up early in the Spring as he is going to show us how to make Maple Syrup as he has 160 acres of mostly Maples. He has all the equipment to make it, but he says he now found what he needs most, some young guys willing to haul the sap to the cabin from the trees. Cant wait till spring. He Loads shells for his rifles then also, and he says he has a good load for that .358 he wants to show us. He shoots the Hornady 200 grain out of it. Maybe I can learn something! What a Beautiful Rifle, and a rare caliber also!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT a Little The .358 Winchester Bolt

Post by TedH »

That gentleman sounds like someone we'd all like to hang around with. Color me green. :D
NRA Life Member
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

Bigahh wrote: It was a Pre 64 Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in .358 Winchester. What a Beautiful Rifle, and a rare caliber also!
:D :mrgreen:

+ 1

I agree !! The 3 rifles in my family that are chambered in 358 Winchester, one my cousin has, is that very model and vintage. The other 2 are Browning BLR's.

Jim sounds like a great person to hang around. Enjoy the Maple syrup !! :D :mrgreen:

Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

You are preaching to the converted here when you tell me about the 35 caliber. Great caliber in any shape of case!! As for the maple syrup, get ready for some wet and sticky work when gathering sap if there is much snow on the ground. It is lots of fun but hard work. The end result is worth it though.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
JDL
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JDL »

Bigahh, A caliber near and dear to my heart. Be sure to take notes but, really the .358 is very easy to load for and cast bullets are the ace. Did he mention wheather the Hornady was a round nose or spire point?
JDL
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

JDL wrote:Bigahh, Did he mention wheather the Hornady was a round nose or spire point?
JDL
The shells he had on hand were Spire Points. I did not ask him if he used the RN at all, but I do prefer the RN, it just seems they hit harder!
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

try the hornady FTX 200 gr... spire point and is a hammer in my 99 Savage and my BLR... Les
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Bigahh, you've stuck gold (and I don't mean the stuff that jingles in your pocket).

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

What a Great story and You sure have struck Gold. :D .
Phideaux
Levergunner

Post by Phideaux »

Bigahh, be sure and take your camera along when you go back in the spring. Sounds like a place we would all love to see.
bigbore45colt
Levergunner 1.0

Post by bigbore45colt »

Great story!

I too hunt with a 358. Had it out for PA black bear and deer over the last few weeks. I load a 225 gr bullet (either Sierra or Barnes TSX, depending on the rifle). I actually have 4-5 rifles in that caliber. Great round.

Have fun in the Spring!!

BB45C
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

I think the .358 is the best of the mid cal's it can match the .348 and in a 88 or 99 do it with a scope too!
I don't know why the cal died, it is the perfect big game cal by big game I mean stuff bigger than deer.
Of course I got a soft spot for my 350 mag 600 Mohawk same diff.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Sounds like a great time. Don't know spit about the 358.
Old Law Dawg
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Always wanted to rebarrel a Mohawk 600 to 358. It would be quite the hammer.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I like those 35 calibers also. I have a .348 Win and a Remington 700 Classic in the 350 Remington mag. My favorite bullet in the .350 is the 200gr Sierria roundnose. I used the same bullet in the 358 Win I used to have.

That 358 Win in the pre-64 model 70 would probably have to be a keeper for sure, if I was lucky enough to fine one, and I didn't already own my 350 mag.
NRA Life Member, Patron