Savage 99 “Why” Question.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Savage 99 “Why” Question.

Post by cshold »

Why does the safety have to be put into the fire position
to operate the lever to unload a chambered round?
JB
Senior Levergunner

Re: Savage 99 “Why” Question.

Post by JB »

I assume it's the same reason many bolt action rifle designs lock the bolt when the safety is on. The designers assumed the rifles would be put on safety when they were being transported/carried while hunting, in combat etc., so the bolts/levers couldn't come open causing loss of ammo or the rifles to not be ready when needed. When the need came to fire or have the rifle ready to fire quickly, the safety would be disengaged.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I always disliked guns that wouldn't allow the action to be opened and closed with the safety ON the whole time.

Perhaps Remington would have a few less lawyer bills if they had designed their 700's to allow the chamber to be cleared with the safety still on.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

AJMD429 wrote:I always disliked guns that wouldn't allow the action to be opened and closed with the safety ON the whole time.

Perhaps Remington would have a few less lawyer bills if they had designed their 700's to allow the chamber to be cleared with the safety still on.

Didn't Remington have a recent recall on this issue?
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Remington 700 recall notice
Safety Modification Program

Remington Model 700 & Model 40-X
If you own a Remington Model 700 or Model 40-X rifle:
Only those Model 700 or 40-X rifles made before March 1982 were manufactured with a bolt-lock mechanism. Model 700 or 40-X rifles made after March 1982 do not have a bolt-lock mechanism and may be loaded and unloaded with the safety in the “S” or “On Safe” position. Consequently, post-1982 Model 700 or 40-X rifles are not subject to this bolt-lock Safety Modification Program.

To determine whether your Model 700 or 40-X rifle has a bolt-lock mechanism, either:

• Call Remington toll-free at 1-877-387-6691 and a service representative will help you determine if your firearm has a bolt-lock mechanism, or

• Take your Model 700 or 40-X rifle to a Remington Authorized Repair Center and a qualified gunsmith will examine your firearm and determine whether it has a bolt-lock mechanism.

If your Model 700 or 40-X rifle has a bolt-lock mechanism, it is eligible for this bolt-lock Safety Modification Program. If you participate, your firearm will be cleaned and inspected for proper functioning by a qualified gunsmith. Once the condition of your firearm has been assessed, you will be notified of one of the following:

• Your firearm’s trigger assembly is otherwise in good operating condition, and the gunsmith will proceed to physically remove the bolt-lock feature so that your rifle can be loaded and unloaded while the safety remains in the “S” or “On Safe” position; or

• Your rifle’s trigger assembly is found to be in an unsatisfactory or potentially unsafe operating condition because of any number of factors, including wear, alteration or maintenance. The entire trigger assembly will be replaced with a new factory trigger assembly, which does not incorporate a bolt-lock mechanism.

In either case, the total cost to you is $20 plus shipping and handling. You will also receive a safety redemption certificate to complete and submit in order to receive a free blaze orange hat (one hat per certificate).

How to participate in the Safety Modification Program

Complete the General Repair Form and
Send or deliver your firearm and the completed repair form to either:
a) A Remington Authorized Repair Center; or
b) Ship your firearm to the Remington factory at:
Remington Arms Company, Inc.
Ilion Firearms Plant
Attention: BL Safety Program
14 Hoefler Avenue
Ilion, NY 13357

Remington will bill or arrange for payment once your firearm is received and evaluated.
Gary7
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Gary7 »

casastahle wrote:Why does the safety have to be put into the fire position
Watch the cocking indicator on the receiver as you work the lever to open the action. The reason the safety has to be in the fire position is the action de-cocks every time you operate the lever to open it. In so doing, the action is automatically "safe" as soon as you start to work the lever. This is also why the lever is easier to work after you've fired a round or dry fired versus just cycling the action with an empty magazine.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Gary7 wrote:
Watch the cocking indicator on the receiver as you work the lever to open the action. The reason the safety has to be in the fire position is the action de-cocks every time you operate the lever to open it. In so doing, the action is automatically "safe" as soon as you start to work the lever. This is also why the lever is easier to work after you've fired a round or dry fired versus just cycling the action with an empty magazine.
Hummm! If you say so. You are right about the little brass indicator
rising and falling when working the lever. But the safety has to be in
the off position to operate the lever whether there is a round of ammo.
involved or not. So bottom line the safety has to be put in the off position
before any action cycling can happen.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

casastahle wrote:
Gary7 wrote:
If the rifle de-cocks when you cycle the lever then there's no chance of it firing. That sounds similar to the 94 Win and others that have trigger block and other internal disconnects to prevent firing out of battery.

I don't know much about Savage 99s, but would it be feasible to remove the stock and watch the action as you work the lever?
If so you could watch the action and get an idea of how it works.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

it really awkward if you shoot and carrry left handed
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Gary7
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Gary7 »

3leggedturtle wrote:it really awkward if you shoot and carrry left handed
Now I'm curious. What is awkward about shooting a 99 left handed?
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Gary7 wrote:
The safety is awkward, havent figured out how to flip it of with my left finger. The actual shooting is a true pleasure. Not as fast as a M92 but the added range makes up for it.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

3leggedturtle wrote:
Gary7 wrote:
The safety is awkward, havent figured out how to flip it of with my left finger. The actual shooting is a true pleasure. Not as fast as a M92 but the added range makes up for it.
What vintage 99 are you talking about? I can kinda see it if it is the old lever safety. . .
Just curious myself being a right handed shooter.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

J Miller wrote:
casastahle wrote:
Gary7 wrote:
If the rifle de-cocks when you cycle the lever then there's no chance of it firing. That sounds similar to the 94 Win and others that have trigger block and other internal disconnects to prevent firing out of battery.

I don't know much about Savage 99s, but would it be feasible to remove the stock and watch the action as you work the lever?
If so you could watch the action and get an idea of how it works.

Joe

There is still a time period “though probably very short” between the safety having
to be taken off and the lever dropped. This goes back to my original “why” question.
I wonder why Savage designed the rifle that the safety had to be taken off safe outside
anything other than to fire a round. :)
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

re left hand and safety, That is why I have a later version with a tang safety. as for the safety, finger off the trigger and all is good and remember muzzle in a safe direction. No worse than a model 94 or 336 if you close the action each time you cycle the action to unload. Notice I said close the action each time.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Pre tang safety model 99s maybe carried un cocked with a full magazine and a round chambered, plus never be cocked when it is unloaded from the above condition...This is mainly accomplished by holding the trigger down so the hammer doesn’t engage the sear while the bolt is cycled... When one wants to cock the piece when in the above loaded condition, the lever is moved forward and back about a quarter of its’ full travel (but not enough to grab another cartridge from the magazine), so as to retract the bolt and hammer enough to engage the sear when the lever swings the bolt and hammer past and back fully. The cocked piece may be then fired or have its’ safety put on.... To un cock the gun when the safety is on, the safety must be put in the fire position to allow the lever to swing down... However from that point on the piece can remain un cocked if it is unloaded as in the above trigger/bolt manipulation description.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
JDL
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JDL »

The only safety to be relied upon is between your ears, so keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction when unloading and there will be no problems. I've used the 99 for close to 40 years and have never had a problem of taking the safety off for unloading.
Most left handers twist the 99 to the left and use their thumb to slide the safety.
JDL