Woes of the hunt - Win 94 30-30 was wrong equipment

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Re: Woes of the hunt - Win 94 30-30 was wrong equipment

Post by gak »

+1 to the responses that it's not the caliber or cartridge. It may (or may not) be bullet construction--in this case--but more than likely shot placement. Assuming "appropriate" construction for the quarry and distance, the .30-30 is lethal on just about *anything* within 150-175 yards--with shot placement. At least that's my 40+ year history with the good ol' .30 WCF.

+1 always a two rifle set up. I also am an iron sights only type with my 94s and 92s. However, I recognize the limitations of such in low light or long distance and so always have my tack driver Wallyworld Model 70 .270/3x9 combo on hand for very early or late hour treks into the woods. That could just as easily be a 94 AE or Marlin .30-30--which I admit would be handier for close-in brush and timber work but the .270 is what I have, does the job and is better for the longer range stuff anyway.
Henry McCann
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Henry McCann »

Not caring what anyone does with "THEIR" rifle....just said I didn't understand it.

You can haul hogs in the back seat of your Maserati GranCabrio if you want, but there are better alternatives.
"Be kind and polite to everyone you meet; but have a plan on how to kill them." General Mattis
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

well I like my 308 or 300 Savage at about 2600+fps for the 300 and 2700 for the 08 out of a 99 to get a very fast kills with a 165 gr Nozler. I like speed but never turned my back on the 30/30 as if I do my job it works great!
But I hunt open country so like the range of of the .300 Savage or 08 gives me
To each his own the 45/70 is a great woods cal but the 08 in my mind is a better cal same with the .358
But that is part of the fun find what works for you and use it.
I happen to like the 375H&H for Elk works good close and long.
But I know that my .300 Savage will drop them just as fast.
I say this stick to what you think works best!
Be it a .250 Savage or a .348 they all put meat on the plate :D
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Henry - that is a ridiculous comparison. And no - there isn't a better alternative if you want to use your Model 94 and you want a scope on it. You know - it just isn't that hard to carry. Durn it, this is heavy and awkward just doesn't come to mind.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

In hindsight, knowing that our host wanted us to shoot big old boars we should have known they come out at last light and should have been prepared with a scope sighted rifle. Also, with the description of the boars being "mud clad 300 pounders", and not knowing the shot distance having never been there before, we should have had a cartridge that was more than enough, or might even be thought of as excessive. There's no shame in doing it our way and sticking to our equipment limitations and we had a good hunt anyway but it was discourteous to our host not to bring the equipment best suited to his expectations from us. The recent deer that I shot came out with 7 minutes of light left - and I am sure I would not have seen the iron sights had I been using one that day. The scope sighted rifle was a blessing on that occasion. The Win 94 and 30-30 will get another chance under conditions that are well thought out and somewhat predictable.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Joe, it looks like no matter how much experience you have - you can have one thing in your mind and another thing can happen. A lesson for those of us that will never have as much experience and I know from reading you for a long time here that you are not wedded to any particular idea.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by veeman »

Interesting. I'm planning on a hog hunt next spring in TX, I want to use my Browning 1886 SRC. I would like to change the sights to fiber octives, but have been able to find any that fit. Any suggestions?
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

put some firesights on that 30-30 and zero it for a 6 oclock hold. Problem solved!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

veeman wrote:Interesting. I'm planning on a hog hunt next spring in TX, I want to use my Browning 1886 SRC. I would like to change the sights to fiber octives, but have been able to find any that fit. Any suggestions?
I took a regular dovetail front sight and ground it down into a blade base to pin into an early type carbine base on a 94. You could do the same with your 86 carbine. I'd suggest just getting the tallest one available to give you enough room to get your blade base ground out of it. That would also give you something to hold on to, as the plastic bead would be a bit fragile to hold on to while working it. A mill may be the best tool, but I don't have one. A file or file and grinder should work.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Old Savage wrote:Henry - that is a ridiculous comparison. And no - there isn't a better alternative if you want to use your Model 94 and you want a scope on it. You know - it just isn't that hard to carry. Durn it, this is heavy and awkward just doesn't come to mind.
I'm still kicking myself in the butt for sending a very accurate little 94AE up the road a few years ago. I never scoped it, but it surely shot well enough to warrant one and it would have been easily done.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Have a 45 Colt without a scope that I shot a 3" group with sitting with 225 Silvertips. My 30-30 AE will do 3/4' with Federal and Win PP 170s - it has an old reconditioned 4 power Weaver on it.

Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

I will scope lever guns for rounds like 243 or 308 but never 30-30's. The scope encourages shooters to take 200 yard plus shots which to me are beyond the capability of a flat point 30-30.

Note- I also have a 30-30 Contender that has been Ackley Imp and consider this with spitzers fine to about 225 yds or so on fallow deer.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

veeman wrote:Interesting. I'm planning on a hog hunt next spring in TX, I want to use my Browning 1886 SRC. I would like to change the sights to fiber octives, but have been able to find any that fit. Any suggestions?

Leave them as is.
This boar was taken in TX last year with 90 year old '86 and open sights.

Modern sights just don't belong on an '86 :D Expecially if you don't
have to count points on antlers.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"