The Browning Lever Action Rifle (BLR) By: Bruce Hamlin

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: Hobie, AmBraCol

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Turdyturdy
Levergunner
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:11 am

Re: The Browning Lever Action Rifle (BLR) By: Bruce Hamlin

Post by Turdyturdy »

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the BLR/81 folks I will impart an experience we had at at my Vermont hunting camp last fall. One of the regulars showed up with a Henry Long Ranger 308 and out shot 2 BLR's and several bolt actions. Real nice wood, way better trigger than the Brownings. Appears to be somewhat of a clone of the Brownings??? We were kind of impressed considering the made in USA pedigree.
JB
Senior Levergunner
Posts: 1425
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:35 pm
Location: WV

Re: The Browning Lever Action Rifle (BLR) By: Bruce Hamlin

Post by JB »

The BLR is a beautiful rifle, but they can be a pain to pain in the rear to work on. It's a much toucher design than a 94 or 336.
bryson
Levergunner
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:33 pm

Re: The Browning Lever Action Rifle (BLR) By: Bruce Hamlin

Post by bryson »

I have a BLR 308 with a serial number that doesn't seem to make sense. It ends in "K57" but 1957 doesn't make sense. Does anyone have experience with this? Was it built in 1975 instead of 57 or something? Thank you!
User avatar
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 7038
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:17 am
Location: Asheville, NC

Re: The Browning Lever Action Rifle (BLR) By: Bruce Hamlin

Post by Tycer »

bryson wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:36 pm
I have a BLR 308 with a serial number that doesn't seem to make sense. It ends in "K57" but 1957 doesn't make sense. Does anyone have experience with this? Was it built in 1975 instead of 57 or something? Thank you!
https://www.browning.com/support/date-y ... rifle.html
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://schoolsucksproject.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
bryson
Levergunner
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:33 pm

Re: The Browning Lever Action Rifle (BLR) By: Bruce Hamlin

Post by bryson »

Tycer wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:00 pm
bryson wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:36 pm
I have a BLR 308 with a serial number that doesn't seem to make sense. It ends in "K57" but 1957 doesn't make sense. Does anyone have experience with this? Was it built in 1975 instead of 57 or something? Thank you!
https://www.browning.com/support/date-y ... rifle.html
Right, but according to that and to Bruce, that would make the year of mfg 1957, which I'm assuming is far too early.
User avatar
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 7038
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:17 am
Location: Asheville, NC

Re: The Browning Lever Action Rifle (BLR) By: Bruce Hamlin

Post by Tycer »

bryson wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:07 pm
Tycer wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:00 pm
bryson wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:36 pm
I have a BLR 308 with a serial number that doesn't seem to make sense. It ends in "K57" but 1957 doesn't make sense. Does anyone have experience with this? Was it built in 1975 instead of 57 or something? Thank you!
https://www.browning.com/support/date-y ... rifle.html
Right, but according to that and to Bruce, that would make the year of mfg 1957, which I'm assuming is far too early.
The number preceding the K are the year. Not the 57
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://schoolsucksproject.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Sevastopol
Levergunner
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:06 am

Re: The Browning Lever Action Rifle (BLR) By: Bruce Hamlin

Post by Sevastopol »

Tycer wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:00 pm
bryson wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:36 pm
I have a BLR 308 with a serial number that doesn't seem to make sense. It ends in "K57" but 1957 doesn't make sense. Does anyone have experience with this? Was it built in 1975 instead of 57 or something? Thank you!
https://www.browning.com/support/date-y ... rifle.html
Mine is a '73 made in Belgium. Go figure.
bryson
Levergunner
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:33 pm

Re: The Browning Lever Action Rifle (BLR) By: Bruce Hamlin

Post by bryson »

Tycer wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:51 pm
The number preceding the K are the year. Not the 57
The serial number is 0737_K57, which doesn't match anything shown. I assume the 0737_ was the serial number, but then it doesn't make sense for 1957 to be the year. It also doesn't make sense for the year to be the middle two numbers in the series.

Not sure if this matters, but it also says made in Japan. I'm assuming it's pre-81 due to the "K" in the serial number, but I'm baffled with the rest of it. I guess it's not too important, since the biggest reason I started looking was because it's missing a magazine, but the more I started reading, the more I was just hoping to learn a little more about it.
JOG
Levergunner 2.0
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:04 pm
Location: southern Maine

Re: The Browning Lever Action Rifle (BLR) By: Bruce Hamlin

Post by JOG »

Are the Belgium Browning's better than the Japanese made Browning's?
Does anyone know what year did the Belgium factory stop making Browning's
You don't see to many of the Belgium Browning's these days!
I recently passed up a left handed Belgium made 22 cal. bolt action.
I had the old salt stock on this little rimfire.
Lot's of rust near the steel where it meets the stock.
I think under that stock would just have been pure rust.
Johnny
User avatar
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 7038
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:17 am
Location: Asheville, NC

Re: The Browning Lever Action Rifle (BLR) By: Bruce Hamlin

Post by Tycer »

bryson wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:09 pm
Tycer wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:51 pm
The number preceding the K are the year. Not the 57
The serial number is 0737_K57, which doesn't match anything shown. I assume the 0737_ was the serial number, but then it doesn't make sense for 1957 to be the year. It also doesn't make sense for the year to be the middle two numbers in the series.

Not sure if this matters, but it also says made in Japan. I'm assuming it's pre-81 due to the "K" in the serial number, but I'm baffled with the rest of it. I guess it's not too important, since the biggest reason I started looking was because it's missing a magazine, but the more I started reading, the more I was just hoping to learn a little more about it.
More curiosity. http://browningowners.com/forum/index.p ... lue.10471/
My guess it’s a’75. Mag extends well past receiver, steel frame.
Keep your eye out for a magazine. They’re unobtanium.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://schoolsucksproject.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
bryson
Levergunner
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:33 pm

Re: The Browning Lever Action Rifle (BLR) By: Bruce Hamlin

Post by bryson »

Thank you for that link! How crazy that the would swap the year like that. Yes, they are very hard to come by. Might just be a single shot for a while.
Post Reply