New to me 39A

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

New to me 39A

Post by Warhawk »

I had gotten a small gift card from Cabela's for Christmas, and decided to stop by there today on my way home from work.

As usual I checked out the used long gun racks, and the used handguns. Nothing much to elevate the blood pressure, they did have a pair of older Marlin 39's for $499 apeice, but these are completely uninspiring guns, well worn and dull looking finish on both the wood and metal.

Then I spotted something, in there amongst all the high dollar bolt rifles was another 39A, except this one looked all bright and shiney. I picked it up, expecting to see a cross bolt safety, there wasn't one. And it has a scope, hmmm ... with a gold ring, hmmmm .... a Leupold M8 4x rim fire scope in Weaver mounts and rings.

So I looked it over pretty close, a small spot of very light rust up near the front sight, and a chip in the clear coat on the pistol grip cap. Other than that it looks nearly new! The barrel marking says "The Original Golden 39A" and by the serial number it's a 1980 model.

The price tag said $429, and it didn't take long to decide that with the Leupold scope this was a bargain. I didn't have time to do all the paperwork, and they were busy, so it's on layaway and I'll go back and pick it up in a few days.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Dang, Warhawk, you done good!!! :o :lol: Do they have another just like it?? :lol:
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Congratulations! A good buy indeed. I'd get back there plenty fast though just it doesn't get "lost" while in layaway.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Good for you Warhawk! Remember,we'll be waiting for pics when you bring her home. :)
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I'm jealous! That will be a very nice rig.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Definitely a GOOD buy. You did well grasshopper :D
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

I should add that I already have one pre-safety 39A, it's a rifle that I gave my dad about 25 years ago. It's second from left in the pic below. This one was used when I bought it and dates to 1966.

I've been hoping to find a 39 Mountie, but they are even more scarce than the 39A. Dad's old rifle is a family heirloom now, and this one will be one that we can use.

au2183
Levergunner

Post by au2183 »

Nice lineup. I been looking for a Mountie myself. I have 3 39As and a 39D. Need the Mountie to round out the collection. I figure even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile, so my day will come.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

The one on the left is an Iver Johnson (Erma) .22 These are so close to a current Henry that the stocks interchange, I picked up a set of Henry wood and put it on this IJ.

And I fell into a deal on a Henry Golden Boy, so I've got the .22 levergun category well covered now.