reloading the .358 Win. ???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

reloading the .358 Win. ???

Post by Rusty »

Looking at the .358 in a BLR Jr. was wondering what the brass life would be?

Can they be neck sized only?

It's nice to have father and son talks and see how he thinks because of what his questions are.

It's even better when he asks questions I don't have the answers to.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: reloading the .358 Win. ???

Post by Terry Murbach »

HOW HEAVY YOU LOAD THAT BRASS WILL BE THE ANSWER TO BOTH QUESTIONS.

WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU NOT FULL LENGTH SIZE AND BRASS USED IN A LEVERACTION HUNTING GUN ???
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

I had a 358 blr rusty.sold it to a good friend that hunts elk in co.

I made most of my brass by necking up 308 brass.its best to use commerical brass and not military as the military brass is thicker.you will find with the BLR that you will have to full lenth resize your brass in that action for smooth feeding.
hope this helps
pete
DAV life member.
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Rusty,

I am doing some heavy duty research on the BLR's for a future article and have come across numerous quotes that mandate full length resizing. I would (and do) anyways, but apparently it is even more important with the BLR's. It appears that the final lockup (lever and bolt position) on the BLR is quite critical. I now understand why, but that would take an article by itself. It is not a bad thing, just the way it is designed.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I had read somewhere years ago that a BAR required the use of small base dies which of course means full length resizing. I didn't know if that was something that Browning usually does, as in making all their chambers tight. The main reason Jr. wanted to know is because I have warped his little mind and he has seen the use of the classic Lee Loaders and their simplicity.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
jimincolo
Levergunner

Post by jimincolo »

Full length resizing with standard dies should do the trick. If you don't fully resize, the bolt may sometimes fail to lock up. The gun will then not fire.

I use .358 headstamped brass. After 5 loadings, I use them in light practice loads. My hunting loads are not max, but are considerably hotter than factory fodder ( 225's at 2500 & 250's at 2400 fps.). TAC & magnum primers should give you these velocities without compressed charges.

My groups will begin to open up after 3 rounds, which I expect from a light barrelled hunting rifle. The average guy has no idea of .358 power & penetration until they actually see one in action. I cannot imagine a better combination of rifle & cartridge for elk at any reasonable range.