Back from the hog hunt-story and pics

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
reflex264
Levergunner 1.0

Back from the hog hunt-story and pics

Post by reflex264 »

How To Chase a Hog
Or how to be chased by a hog

Matt and I planned for several months to go on a handgun only hog hunt. Between my work and his it looked like it just wasn’t going to happen. Matt was practicing all along with his handguns. He started shooting better and better and looked like he was ready if the opportunity presented itself. Out of all of his guns he was doing the best job with his .44 Special Flat top.

When I did get to practice I was doing alright with all of them but I really wanted to make this a .44 Special hunt. Matt too wanted to make a .44 Special hunt out of it. I could consistently put 5 shots into 1.5” off-hand at 25 yards with my Taurus 441T. It is a factory target pistol with a heavy under lug on the barrel and a great set of sights from the factory.

I also got out my new model Charter Arms Target Bulldog and out it through its paces. The results were the same. I could consistently put 5 shots into 1.5” at 25 yards with it from the offhand position. The gun is super light and a joy to carry. My initial plan was to carry it as a short range back up while Matt hunted. Since I would be carrying a pack most of the time. Its light weight would make the perfect companion. I told Matt that if the perfect scenario presented itself I would kill a hog with it.

The ammunition we carried was divided into two categories. Ammo for the flat top and 441T were the same. A 255gr CPB over 8.6grs of U-Clays. We chronographed them the day before we left and they were running 1060fps from the Ruger and 1022fps from the Taurus. The cases would fall out of the guns after being shot. The nose heavy design opens case capacity considerably. This load should however under no circumstances be shot in a small frame gun like the Charter Arms bulldogs

The Charter gun was loaded with the Magnus 240gr BBWC with 7.0grs of U-Clays. This load chronographed 842fps from the Target Bulldog. Penetration with this load was very good in the ballistic buffalo and the wound channel was a nice round hole. I have used this bullet on deer before and the wound channel is always good. I put a piece of orange duct tape on the front sight for better visibility and the little Charter was ready to go.

We arrived at Wilderness Lodge in time to eat breakfast and rest from the drive up. After breakfast we loaded up a back pack and strapped on our gear and headed into the mountains. About 30 minutes into the hike we spotted a hog. It was well out of pistol range and headed away from us. We pursued the hog and soon ran into a second hog. Matt was to get the first chance but the hogs were just a little too far for him to make a clean shot. We continued to pursue the two hogs across a very rocky area and down a big hill. We were headed for the eastern boundary of the property and the hogs finally figured out we were trouble and took off.

We could see a pond down below us so we decided to head for it in case there were any hogs laid up in the nearby cover. After checking out the pond we headed in the direction the hogs went. There was a wide open field that sloped down to the boundary fence. Across the field was an old abandoned house. The area around the house was fenced off from the hunting area. At this point we had been gone from the lodge about 2 ½ hours.

As we walked toward the old house I noticed something big and black next to the fence right behind the house. I took a peek through my binoculars and realized that it was a huge sow. At first I though she was dead but soon realized that she was just sleeping. We though she might be wounded so we decided to approach her for a better look. I threw a rock at her which sort of aggravated her. She got up and we saw how big she really was and Matt said “ you said if you got the perfect opportunity you would use the Charter”. The distance was close and she was trying to make up her mind whether to run or fight.

About this time Matt said “there is a hog coming!!!!!!”. I looked up the hill in time to see that it was a boar, and he was mad. I could see him popping his teeth at what turned out to be 80 yards. He made a bee line to us and the sow. There is a big wash out in the field where the water running off the mountain cut a 5’ deep gash in the field. We immediately went to the other side of the ditch to keep some sort of cover between the boar and us.

The ditch

The little devil hog. 150lbs of mean.

I was still trying to decide on the best course of action. The sow would be good eating and the boar wanted to kill us. We didn’t want to kill him though. We threw rocks at him and hollered but he just wouldn’t leave. He became more agitated by the second. The sow still wasn’t giving me a good shot. The boar went down to the sow continuously popping his tusks at us. We had guns drawn and kept him covered. I tried throwing rocks and yelling at him but he only got madder. The sow finally decided we had been there long enough started towards me very aggressively. Fortunately she came up on the other side of the ditch. I fired when she was 10 yards away. The very second I pulled the trigger she whirled to get to the bottom of the ditch so she could get at me. The boar was in hot pursuit. The very second she cross the lower end of the ditch she was broadside just long enough for me to shoot again. This time I got both lungs. She immediately turned then went down.
Ever wonder if a sow can bite?

The boar ran up to her and as soon as he smelled the blood on her nose he went crazy. I have never heard a hog make that much racket. All the time this was going on, which was around 15 minutes one of the guides from the lodge was watching from the mountain behind us. He was on a John Deere gator. We continued keeping the ditch in between the boar and us. He rode down the road off of the mountain and asked if we needed him to run the boar off. He approached the boar on the gator and the boar acted like he was going to fight the gator. He finally turned and went back up the mountain.

We saw a couple of sows and pursued them up the mountain in the direction that the boar went. When we got to the rocks we both had our guns at the ready.

The sows got away and the bore disappeared in the rocks. We hunted the next two days but didn’t get another hog.

There are tons of rocky faces like this one.

The aftermath of the shootout was analyzed. The bullets, one of Magnus bullets 240gr BBSWC performed perfectly. I highly recommend his bullets. I like to cast my own but don’t always have time. These are some of my favorites when I have to but cast bullet. The first bullet entered on the left side right behind the front leg one third up the body and exited 10” behind the offside shoulder. The second bullet entered the back side of the right shoulder taking out both lungs. It was right under the offside hide. The first bullet penetrated 18” and the second bullet penetrated 13”. The bullet was recovered intact.

The Target Bulldog worked great. It is light as a feather and compact but still accurate enough for 50 yard shots. The factory rubber grip fits my hand perfectly. The combination of SS and polymer means if you get it wet it isn’t a problem. If they would advertise the little jewel, it would sell. It is a perfect trail gun capable of defense against 2 or 4 legged varmints. I am still anxiously waiting for the 6” version.

Wilderness lodge is now my favorite place to hog hunt. We stayed in the cedar lodge this time. It had a great room that was plenty big for the hunterd to gather in and tell stories at night. The staff is great. Mr. David Oaks will work his tail off to make your stay a good one. They have enough land to hunt on so you aren’t chasing pigs in a pin. Yes there is a fence but most of the time you won’t see it. Best I can figure by my gps we walked about 15 miles in 3 days. Matt didn’t get a hog but he had opportunities and was being very picky. He enjoyed it nevertheless and is ready to go back. reflex264

On the east mountain
The cedar lodge:
inside the cedar lodge
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Back from the hog hunt-story and pics

Post by vancelw »

Thanks for sharing. I'm always ready to look at dead animal pictures.

Did I miss it, or did you say what part of the country(state) this story takes place?
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Great story and pics...thanks very much for sharing those.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

now thats a pile of bacon...great story..
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Great report, thanks for posting :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Congrats! Great post - love the pics.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Congratulations. I would of loved to have been sitting on that Gator watching the scene unfold. Thanks for the report.
Old Law Dawg
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Great story and pictures. Thanks for sharing.
ED
Yer never too old
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

felt like I was there (and wishing I was). Thanks!!! well done
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Sounds like a large time was had by all!
edsguns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edsguns »

Congrats on an excellent posting of your great hunt. I have a friend who has hunted there and, as you, enjoyed the h*ll out of it!
We are responsible for leaving the same legacy of freedom and rights given to us for our children and grandchildren.
reflex264
Levergunner 1.0

Post by reflex264 »

Glad you fellers enjoyed it. We are already planning on going back. Going to hunt the same way. Spot and stalk with handguns. reflex264
reflex264
Levergunner 1.0

Post by reflex264 »

vancelw wrote:Thanks for sharing. I'm always ready to look at dead animal pictures.

Did I miss it, or did you say what part of the country(state) this story takes place?

This was near Monterey TN. reflex264