Show latest one of my homemade rifles

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
David
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Show latest one of my homemade rifles

Post by David »

Alphawolf45 wrote: . reply to David. No dont want another project but I would be an interested observer if you were to fire your project up again and run to a good finish.Show it here.
Thanks, don't hold your breath on that one ;) Maybe someday I'd would like to make at least the firing mechanism in all steel but I've got 5 rifles laying on the floor now that need fixing and I'm writing an article on a very rare boys rifle that's sitting in the corner for the journal, just to much to do...
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

I am surprised at the response. I showed this same gun at the Marlin collectors forum and have gotten more comments in 24 hours here than in two months over there..
Charlie you should link to those two videos you made shooting your lever acting pistol..I saved those two vids to my documents and watch them 'bout every time I wander past looking for something else...Really inspirational video, probably I've watched it two dozen times.
I am currently building pair of 1/2 scale Winchester low wall falling block lever action rifles..I'll show a few pictures as I make more progress..They wont shoot, they just for display..I guess too its my attempt at working smaller, my eyesight is not good, its tough.. I might not do myself proud. I dunno..
After they are done I have promised to build myself a Winchester model 92 in .44-40 caliber and maybe also in that chambering a scratch built Colt single action army ..The Winchester model 92 is a pretty complicated gun.Lot of close fitted moving parts buried down inside it... And I dont like how the breechblock was designed. Its weak in my opinion..But anyway, assuming I get to that project building the 92 , I will show its construction here.
It 'takes forever' to build a gun but thats perfect for me..I can spend a couple hundred dollars for a barrel and some steel and stay busy for 2 or 3 months...Cheapest hobby I ever had.
See this Stevens model 44 and 1/2 in .22 , another one I built from scratch..
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Your killing me :mrgreen:
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

AlphaWolf...asked a couple of questions on page 2...just wondering about the machine tools you used....

jumbeaux
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

jumbeaux wrote:AlphaWolf...asked a couple of questions on page 2...just wondering about the machine tools you used....

jumbeaux
Metalsworking is my hobby but I am really very serious about my hobbies..... I have a 60 by 60 foot hobby shop with another 20 by 40 foot upstairs for restoring antique and obsolete electronics... I have 2 manual kneemills and 2 cnc bed mills..All big stuff.. And multiple lathes and bandsaws..And heat treating furnace , Rockwell hardness tester...And Mig, Tig and arc welders.a Plasma burner. Oxy-acetylene cutting /welding outfit....BIG air compressor..100 ton hydraulic press..full non ferrous metalscasting capabilities..Surface grinder.. Tool grinder..Belt grinders..3 forklifts and a whole lot of other stuff..some good stuff and some junk.......... When I build something I throw everything at it..But I might code by hand or use cam or use manual machines..Just depends on my mood and what I am doing..I am just out to have bit of fun.......I use a file too on nearly everything.

Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

AlphaWolf...I was just interested...worked in a big machine shop for 31 years. We did forging, heat treating, inertia welding, turning, milling, hardfacing, deep hole drilling, grinding and assembly. I miss it and really enjoyed learning the craft. Great hobby and your work is outstanding...thank ya sir..

jumbeaux
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

jumbeaux
You didnt set yourself up a shop at home?
This picture shows the bronze buttplate that I sandcast for the Marlin 1892. I heated it at 1200F for 20 minutes to give it the blackish oxide finish..Steel would have been better but I cant cast or forge steel buttplates.I'd have to buy steel buttplates and 'buying' parts is not fun part of my hobby. I rather like the bronze cast buttplates..

TCB in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TCB in TN »

You sir, are awesome!

Beautiful work, on a great gun!
Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

Man, I like that Butt Plate.

Did you use the old one for the pattern?

Is that a sand casting, or investment / lost wax process?
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

Charlie wrote:Man, I like that Butt Plate.

Did you use the old one for the pattern?

Is that a sand casting, or investment / lost wax process?
Charlie
Buttplates I use original steel buttplate as a pattern for sand casting...I like sand casting for lots of things..But the finish is rougher than lost wax...See this picture shows the first rifle I ever built.Its a Stevens Marksman that I used the original parts as pattern and sandcast them...I left it all rough except knocked off sharp edges.But see the sinks and pits and impressions made by individual grains of sand...Kinda gives the impression of an old relic found laying out behind the barn. But thats a bad casting , had trouble with the furnace wasnt getting hot enough, but I used the castings anyway........But even a good sandcast brass or bronze piece is going to need lots of smoothing if you really concerned over appearances..Image
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

Alpha wolf...I had to retire because of health issues. I have severe degenerative joint disease and it makes it tough to stand very long or walk very much. My hands give out pretty quick....but I have been building a Lionel RR to enjoy with my grandchildren. Kinda been looking at some of those table top machine tools to play with...your work looks great and I know that you are really enjoying yourself...thank you sir...

rick
Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

Alphawolf, you got PM.
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

jumbeaux Rick in East Texas...
I'm in Southwest Arkansas , were neighbors..
Why is it most of the guys who worked in machineshops all their lives do not set up a hobby shop at home? Seems a waste of hard won talent and a missed opportunity to pass the interest on to the next generation....Old man that lives across the road from me used to run a screw machine shop in Houston. He come over to use my machines to build a little part for his class A motorhome.I seen him do something on my lathe that I didnt think was possible.He was able to hold piece of nylon workpiece in a 3 jaw chuck and take aggressive enough cut to break the chip...just amazed me........Odd a guy like that, got the skills and lots of money but dont have his own machines at home...............
I been wanting a tabletop cnc mill..Most parts I make with cnc mill could as easily be made on smaller machine...And too, the tabletop cnc mill is better suited to engraving, its not wearing out big expensive parts when rapidly moving to do an engraving having thousands of lines of code...I've ran my big cnc 10 hours to cut a long engraving program, thats lot of hard work for a heavy mill..
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Wow... I am in awe!
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

IMPRESSIVE!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Billy Boy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Billy Boy »

I have to agree with Sixgun. THAT is talent!
Summarily impressed!
BB

:wink:
You can get alot further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone!
Al Capone
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

Good comment about retired machinest and other skilled people who retire and don't do some of their skilled work. Reminds me of one Gentleman I knew who was a master blacksmith and hammersmith. Went to work at the railroad when he was 16 and went through their apprentice programs over the years. He was a wonder to see his work and skills. He was getting for full retirement when I met him. He was working part time security guard work for the S.S. benifits to be added to his railroad retirement. I asked him if he had tried to get a job at a local junior college as a teacher in Blacksmithing. He didn't want anything to do with blacksmithing once he was away from it. Never could figure it out, but it was his choice, our loss. He did have some good stories to tell starting out as a skinny kid during the depression and grew into a giant of a man. Many can remember the good times but disliked much of what they did. My Father was a master machinest and loved doing the work and kept up for years after he retired. Good Luck in you endevors. ATB
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

Alphawolf45 you are a gifted bloke. Your work is awesome!!

Thats coming all the way from Melbourne Australia, so you must be good! :mrgreen: \

Chris
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I can understand why some people don't want to continue using their work skills after retirement. I worked 41 yrs in the defense industry and enjoyed almost every day of it. That said, anything will get old if you do it enough (yes, I said anything).

I was considered The Corporate Expert in a specific area of Intellectual Property. This is a corporation with 135,000 employees in it so that recognition was something special. I'd be called to consult by people all over the corporation while I worked there. I considered it quite an honor to be thought of in that regard.

However, since I retired 2 yrs ago, I've had several calls asking if I would consult on this or that issue. My answer is always the same, "Been there, done that, got the tee shirt. Really, thanks but I'm not interested." The truth is I'm done with that part of my life and not interested in repeating it.

I didn't simply retire from my career to sit and stare at the walls. Rather I finished one career and decided to start another one; Gentleman of Leisure!! Now I have both the time and the resources to explore new and exciting areas such as acquiring, working on, and shooting leverguns just to name one.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Good afternoon Thank you for taking the time to post this. That is one fine piece of work ! I enjoy putting together and your efforts are an encouragement to continue on. I only have a drill press and hand tools but I figure if the Hindus can build with hand tools I sure can try. Problem here is there is NO provision to constuct a firearm. But I can take a wreck and rebuild it.
THANKYOU !!
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Well I just have to say that once in a while I run into a rare individual who is an amazing craftsman. It is always a pleasure and inspiration to meet such a person, even if is on an internet thread. I have been very encouraged and impressed by your work, Alphawolf.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

KirkD I am not as good as Charlie and couple other guys I know but I think I am having just as much fun....I could do better if I had more patience...After a couple or three months work my enthusiasm wanes.. I am presently building a pair of half scale Winchester lowwalls and they are kicking my butt...Hard to keep the motivation going to build a wallhanger that wont actually shoot.
I am planning my next build though and about ready to buy some parts..I have a beater Winchester model 65 / 92 that I will copy..Havent decided what caliber to build it yet, presently thinking I'll make it .32-20

missionary5155 . Just for fun you might hunt the web for stories of gunsmiths of Darra Pakistan..I had read an article about them 40 years ago probably in National Geographics magazine showed a picture of guy wearing rags sitting on the dirt using a bowdrill to drill the holes in a very modern looking double action revolver that he was holding between his feet....Those guys can build awesome reproductions in a matter of days using basic tools, but them old boys hustle to get them done....
Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

KirkD wrote:Well I just have to say that once in a while I run into a rare individual who is an amazing craftsman. It is always a pleasure and inspiration to meet such a person, even if is on an internet thread. I have been very encouraged and impressed by your work, Alphawolf.
Me to.

And not only that, his Character is equal to his work.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Alphawolf45 wrote: I am planning my next build though and about ready to buy some parts..I have a beater Winchester model 65 / 92 that I will copy..Havent decided what caliber to build it yet, presently thinking I'll make it .32-20
The 32-20 is my favourite small game cartridge. Of the three cartridges chambered for the Model 65, I'd take the 32-20 over the 218 Bee or the 25-20 any day, although I do like the 218 Bee too.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

:o I can't beleive I haven't posted on this one yet!! What a great project... Very cool.. I'll keep closer watch... Love it
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

COSteve wrote:I can understand why some people don't want to continue using their work skills after retirement. I worked 41 yrs in the defense industry and enjoyed almost every day of it. That said, anything will get old if you do it enough (yes, I said anything).
My girlfriend keeps saying that, but I refuse to beleive.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
gimdandy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gimdandy »

Thank you again sir.I , like the others not only appreciate your abilities but your willingness to share with us.
gregg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gregg »

COSteve wrote:I can understand why some people don't want to continue using their work skills after retirement. I worked 41 yrs in the defense industry and enjoyed almost every day of it. That said, anything will get old if you do it enough (yes, I said anything).

I was considered The Corporate Expert in a specific area of Intellectual Property. This is a corporation with 135,000 employees in it so that recognition was something special. I'd be called to consult by people all over the corporation while I worked there. I considered it quite an honor to be thought of in that regard.

However, since I retired 2 yrs ago, I've had several calls asking if I would consult on this or that issue. My answer is always the same, "Been there, done that, got the tee shirt. Really, thanks but I'm not interested." The truth is I'm done with that part of my life and not interested in repeating it.

I didn't simply retire from my career to sit and stare at the walls. Rather I finished one career and decided to start another one; Gentleman of Leisure!! Now I have both the time and the resources to explore new and exciting areas such as acquiring, working on, and shooting leverguns just to name one.
retired 36 yrs, 30 of that powerhouse work rotating shifts. One reason you made more money than anyone else was you were there more than anyone else. 29 years into it hoping to retire with my wife at my side but I lost her to cancer.
Last year I had the pleasure of hunting with cousins and friends that I have not been with since childhood. One cousin said have not seen you for 30 years now seem to see you every few weeks??? Told him ya and I use to have a job.
I don't think any of them get it but that is ok. One of them things in life of you have to be there things. It was my chosen path in life that fit my nature.
It may of darn near have killed me for where I'm at right now BUT i would do it again. Yup got the tee shirt.
Time to hook up with life and extened family.
gregg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gregg »

gimdandy wrote:Thank you again sir.I , like the others not only appreciate your abilities but your willingness to share with us.
:shock: WOW thank you. Not a good time to buy but when is. I am going to get a LATHE and get to learning. :wink:

I will never have your skill, I just want to learn how to cut little steel.:lol:
Thank You Again
Ron Macy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Ron Macy »

If I had a skill like that .... Oh well, I don't. Thank you for posting on your work. It's truly incredible.
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

Guys, I appreciate your compliments.. And I like being able to share my enthusiam for this side of the guns hobby.. Last couple days I have worked on a project that I had set aside a couple years ago..Its a fullsized Winchester Highwall....Its really awesome for me to be able to consider and choose between the many options of just what I want a rifle to be when its finished...Havent even decided on a caliber for this one yet..Possibly will build it as a .38-55 because I have a new blank set aside in that size..Or might build it as a .45-90....But dont know when I'll finish it ,I just pulled it out and worked on it for couple days to get away from thuther project where I am building 4 half scale miniatures of Winchester Low walls..That work is getting tedius.

Absolutely its a fun hobby, takes forever to build something good but a guy with tools can build anything, anything thats legal anyway.....
.Thinking this will be the year I get setup and learn reloading and spend more time shooting..
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Hobie musta hid this one early 'cause this is the first I saw of it...

alphawolf,

WOW! I'd say more, but would only be repeating what others have already said.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

Griff wrote:WOW! I'd say more, but would only be repeating what others have already said.
+1
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Really nice!!

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
bobbyjack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bobbyjack »

Alphawolf45 you know you are in the same company of JMB,and exspecaly JM Williams whom could make a barrell from a car crankshaft. Your works have made me feel special in remembering that men like you still survive!

God bless you man and keep on keeping on!!!

Bob
GabbyHaze

Post by GabbyHaze »

WOW :!: :!: :!: Your very talented, Great Job !!!!

JT
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

WOW! Just WOW!!! I cant believe I didn't see this earlier. WOW!
buxman66
Levergunner

Post by buxman66 »

thank you for taking the time outta your day to post your work,its much appreciated. i'm in the production machinist end of the field and can only marvel at the time and thought that has gone into your work. i tip my hat to you sir!
badges?...badges? we don't need no steeekin' badges!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Alphawolf45 wrote:...I can spend a couple hundred dollars for a barrel and some steel and stay busy for 2 or 3 months...Cheapest hobby I ever had...
Wow.

It seems to work the opposite way for me - usually lotsa money thrown on a hobby that gives me more satisfaction than value.

Thank you for letting us see your astounding work.
crow
Levergunner

Post by crow »

Let me just add my own WOW! to this post. Thank you for sharing and showing the possibilities.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

I have finished a couple more builds..This is my version of the ubiquitous Marlin model 60 ...I had one I liked but it had the plain jane beech stock and aluminum receiver and triggerguard..I decided I could improve it..What I did here is made the receiver and the trigger guard in steel..Carved the stock and cast a buttplate and rust blued the barrel.. I used barrel and the bolt and other guts of the gun that I bought on Gunbroker.
Seriously the worst part to make was this trigger guard..It took me three or 4 times as long to make this part than the receiver Image

This is the first pistol grip butt I have ever carved. I prefer straight grip..
I like it almost better than any other gun I have built, just a perfect little plinker..
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

Okay and here is my .38-55 Highwall that I just now finished..Well it hasnt got sights yet.. The other pictures I have are too large for this forum.These will have to do..I made every piece of this rifle, every bolt and spring..Probably the toughest of my builds to date.. ...Image

[img]
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

I have about decided to try cowboy action shooting- maybe next year..I'll need to start reloading before I start that plus I dont have the right guns for it..I've started gathering materials to build a couple Winchester 1873s...I'll have to buy a couple six shooters and leather and lot of other stuff....Will show that 1873 gun build here after I get some real progress to show..
I dont participate on this forum aside from this one thread..I dont have the decades of experience lot of you fellows have so I got nothing to contribute but I do enjoy reading the posts.. I think I have now read all the posts from the beginning of this forum..
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Outstanding work!
The model 60 is a beauty. The stock turned out great.
The High Wall is awesome.
Thanks for posting these. Your work is inspiring.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Another jaw-dropping project. You are a gifted man!!! 8) 8) 8)
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

Lovely work.

Reckon you could get a job in that town in Pakistan anyday!

What do you do about serial numbers and proof testing?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Another jaw-dropping project. You are a gifted man!!! 8) 8) 8)
+1 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: That highwall is drop dead gorgeous!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

It is a great pleasure to see craftsmanship like that. Thanks for posting those photos.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Alphawolf45 - I was reading the other day that many of John Browning's firearm patents were never built by any gun company. Did you ever consider dusting one of these off and trying to build such a gun? :D