New to me Savage 99e in 308 with pics and range report

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

New to me Savage 99e in 308 with pics and range report

Post by Alan Wood »

I picked up the $350 Savage 99e in 308 I mentioned in the possible aqusitions topic. Took it to the range and shot about 23 rounds with it before my shoulder said uncle! Not the pretiest groups but I realized at the time it was my fault for jerkin the trigger not squeezing it. Gonna have to work on that part. :( Time to break out an air rifle as it's about 45 minutes each way to the nearest range I feel safe at. Also need to do something about the bras bead on the front post it was just plain disapearing in the bullsey.

Now for the pictures!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Re: New to me Savage 99e in 308 with pics and range report

Post by Alan Wood »

Forgot to mention that the target shows 2 different groups. The bottom left quadrant was aiming for center of the bull. The top right quadrant was aiming for the top of the black.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

very nice
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Nice rifle. I like it. If it whoops up on you too much you can send it to me. I got lots of 308 ammo and stuff to feed it.

Now, try a 6:00 hold on the target and I'll bet you shoot better. I've found the old bead is the bull concept a big crock of bull. If I can't see the target, I can't hit it. Using the 6:00 hold lets me see the target. For that I prefer a small bead if the rifle has that kind of sight, or better yet a post with an aperture rear.

At any rate, yeah do work on the trigger pull. Jerking them don't help much.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

Joe:

I like it to. Too much to think about selling it. :)
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

And old saying: "Stay in the gun son!". Not bad for a first effort with a new gun, especially with one that's 94 yrs. old. Practice & stay with the "basics". You'll do just fine!

LB
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Nice rifle, and the groups are not all that bad. Congratulation.
Ricky

DWWC
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

Lever Bob, It's actually only 44 years old. Lever boss code is S saying it was made in 1965.

Also forgot to mention this target was shot at 50 yards not 100. Like I said time for me to break out an air rifle and get some practice in.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

3 shots in 3" @ 50 yds with iron/open sights on a strange gun for the 1st time is nothing to apologize for, IMHO !

Shoot it a bit more, before readjusting the sights/zeroing - just to be sure it's the gun's sights that are a little "off", and not you.

Pretty soon, that rifle'll be as familiar as a handshake.

LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Alan Wood wrote:Lever Bob, It's actually only 44 years old. Lever boss code is S saying it was made in 1965.

Also forgot to mention this target was shot at 50 yards not 100. Like I said time for me to break out an air rifle and get some practice in.
You're right Alan, I got confused with another post...a distinct advantage for Coothood. Thanks much for the correction.

LB
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Pete44ru wrote:3 shots in 3" @ 50 yds with iron/open sights on a strange gun for the 1st time is nothing to apologize for, IMHO !

Shoot it a bit more, before readjusting the sights/zeroing - just to be sure it's the gun's sights that are a little "off", and not you.

Pretty soon, that rifle'll be as familiar as a handshake.

Indeed great start with the ole girl. :D Take your time and get to know her and you both will be shooting out the X ring in short order.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
JDL
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JDL »

I'd say you are shooting pretty good with open sights. The hint of using a 6 o'clock hold is a good one and if you smoke your sights, you'll be able to see them a little plainer. I use carbide black but, IIRC Caey's makes Sight Black that comes in an airosol can that is spray on. Just put the front sight at the bottom of the black and squeez.
JDL
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Buy a slip on recoil pad, I notice its running bare-footed. Wally has some that are $10.00 or under. It will help you on the bench. Seems I get more recoil bench shooting than off-hand standing.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

i have a 99a. it kicks more than a .308wcf. should. stock design? maybe? try shooting 6 times instead of 23. the 6 o'clock holds a good tip. sometimes its just fatigue that can open up your groups. you'll get better. sometimes with a light weight barrel the groups open after the 3rd shot. keep experimenting and enjoy your range time. savage 99's in .308 are underrated rifles. with a 4x scope your set for north america and 95% of the world's game 8)