OT - Favorite pocket knife and why?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

OT - Favorite pocket knife and why?

Post by rjohns94 »

I generally carry a leatherman Wave, and a Benchmade AFCK, but they really aren't my favorites. I'm thinking its either the A.G. Russel one hander with elephant ivory scales or the Bear Damascus folder with stag grips. I will have to take pictures. How about you?
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: OT - Favorite pocket knife and why?

Post by Terry Murbach »

AN EYE BRAND 4 1/4" 3-BLADE STOCKMAN WITH YELLOW SCALES.
I DID ADD SIX NEW POCKETKNIVES TO MY COLLECTION THIS PAST WEEK SO MAYBE SOMETHING ELSE WILL GRAB MY FANCY TO CARRY EVERYDAY WHEN THEY ALL SHOW UP.
I AM ALSO MIGHTY IMPRESSED WITH THE FANCY MOOREMAKER POCKETKNIVES FROM TEXAS.
I COLLECT 4-BLADE STOCKMAN AND 4-BLADE CONGRESS POCKETKNIVES.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

It is the bottom one here - but it is a replacement for on that was stolen which I bought when I was about 10, a Camillus 51 Barlow.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Spyderco Delica.

It's always where it's supposed to be and easy to grab and open with one hand.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Benchmade bright yellow mini griptilian 164cm drop point non searrated.

164cm hold an edge well for me
the Axis lock is very solid
The yellow is easy to find when I drop it.

Last edited by Tycer on Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I've been carrying a Smith & Wesson "ExtremeOps" lock folder for the past few years. It has a tanto-point, is partially serrated, and one side is flat. It is all black; number CK5TBS. I like one side being flat as it lets me get close when cutting some things. It is not spring-assisted, but boy does it open fast. Right out of the box it was one of the sharpest knives I've ever seen. It is just a great all-around pocket knife, and didn't break the bank to buy! :D
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Spyderco Native non serrated, same reasons as 20 cows.
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

I have a little two bladed knife that I carry in my pocket. It has "Explorer" on the main blade which is all of 2 inches long. I bought it when I was sixteen... 29 years ago.
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

For the last year or so I've been carrying a Kershaw single lock blade. The blade is about is about 2 inches and it has a rubber covering for the handle. Cheap knife that takes and holds an edge real well. It's a model 3000.

http://ep.yimg.com/ip/I/yhst-5049468417 ... 1_93959130
Ricky

DWWC
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

The last few years I have mainly carried a large Benchmade "McHenry & William's design". It's made from ATS 34 steel, which is fine, but I prefer D2, but I carry the Benchmade because it is well designed for easy opening, and has one of those sliding bolt latches that is both very positive and very fast and easy open or close, but I try to avoid having to gut a deer with it, because blood gets in the locking mechanism and is a bit more difficult to clean, then many other types of lockblades. Still for normal everyday use, it has worked very well for me. I gave around a hundred dollars for it, worth every penny.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I generally prefer Fixed Blades, but my GP Body Knife (there are many and varied types I have "off body"...) is a Gerber folding "box knife" that I use to hold what little folding fiat currency/FRNs I carry...

ImageImage

http://www.rockynational.com/5544_22-41 ... nife_.html
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

" fiat currency " there is a term not heard much anymore, the great unwashed are unaware of the term.
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

For everyday use, I really like my 4" Case Stockman, red bone handles, mfd. in 1971. Carbon steel blades take a razor's edge easily, and the blade shapes (long clip master blade, sheep's foot and small spey blade) make a wide variety of cutting chores easy to do. However, for sentimental reasons, I love my 1940's-50's vintage Case XX red bone handle half-whittler, #6208. Closed, it measures just 3.25", and is very slender because both blades share the same spring. It has a clip master blade and short pen blade. It's the exact clone of one my Dad carried up to/through WW2, which is retired now. The modern uber-pocket-knives are great, but I still love the older Case knives -- "made back when they made 'em right!" :)

John
Last edited by John in MS on Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
greasy dan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by greasy dan »

Black Victornox Switzerland stainless. I have used every blade and contraption on it for my current Work. It is old, dirty, scratched, nicked, bent and I regularly pick my teeth (or tooth, if you live in KY) with the dirty toothpick... and my Father gave it to me... rest his soul.
John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, Henry Fonda and Winchesters. I'm a kid again.
Whit Spurzon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Whit Spurzon »

Carried a Gerber LST for decades. Small enough to take everywhere, big enough to handle most jobs. Great functional knife but lacked a soul - like most things plastic...

Found an older knife with similar shape but has more traditional styling - Western 521. It is a little heavier, bulkier and more difficult to open with one hand, but it does have style - including a nice etching of a Bobcat on the blade. I've (ab)used it for a couple of years now and I think it's a keeper. The blade is capable of taking a shaving sharp edge and holds it for a long time. I've used to to clean trout, garden pruning, cutting and BUNCH of tangled rope, cutting cleaning patches, prepping meals (slice, dice and spread).

Western 521. Not my picture
"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves." -Will Rogers
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

my choice - is a Cold Steel 3" Voyager - everytime my wallet is in a pocket so is this knife. It is a tanto straight blade. My Pap used to quiz me - to see if I had the 4 things every man should carry. They were a wallet, watch, hankerchief, and knife.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

My everyday carry knives are a Spyderco Ed Schemp Persian w/VG-10 blade, which I bought from Ed. Sharpened razor sharp and kept only as a flesh knife. My other daily carry is a Boker Tree Brand, stag slabbed, four blade stockman w/high carbon blades. I've always got a blade on me.
Old Law Dawg
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

+20cows
"That'll Be The Day"
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I carry a Buck Med. Stockman's knife. I used to carry a Buck 110X that had stag handles that I had put an attachment on that would allow one handed opening.

I carry Bucks because they are good quality knives made from good tool steel and the owners are Christians. I have talked to Chuck Buck personally while he was autographing blades a few years ago at Smokey Mountain Knife Works in Tenn. I wanted to thank him for his "message in the knife box" as they call it. Every Buck knife sold had a little piece of paper in it that plainly states that Jesus Christ is the true head of their company and it goes on to give a testimony. Chuck's Dad while he was alive started putting that message in the box and Chuck has continued doing it to this day as far as I know.

Here is the message:

Message from Al Buck
(In memorium, 1910 - 1991) (As written in 1976)

If you are a new Buck knife owner, "welcome aboard." You are now part of a very large family. Although we're talking about a few million people, we still like to think of each one of our users as a member of the Buck Knives Family and take a personal interest in the product that was bought. With normal use, you should never have to buy another.

Now that you are family, you might like to know a little more about our organization. The fantastic growth of Buck Knives was no accident. From the beginning, management determined to make God the Senior Partner. In a crisis, the problem was turned over to Him, and He hasn't failed to help us with the answer. Each product must reflect the integrity of management, including our Senior Partner. If sometimes we fail on our end, because we are human, we find it imperative to do our utmost to make it right. Of course, to us, besides being Senior Partner, He is our Heavenly Father also; and it's a great blessing to us to have this security in these troubled times. If any of you are troubled or perplexed and looking for answers, may we invite you to look to Him, for God loves you.

"For God so loved the world that he gave His only begotten son; that whoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John: 3:16

- Al Buck
Last edited by Rusty on Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

SOG Multi-Tool is in a belt holster with a NOVA LED light, and In my pocket is my 4" Voyager folder. That Cold Steel folder gives me as much comfort as my carry piece, but for different purposes and scenes.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Well for the last year or two I have had a Canoe style in my left front pocket.
Since I was eight, I carried a stockman in that pocket and feel naked without.

On my right hip I will carry whichever knife is approriate to the day as necessary.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

Spyderco, Those fellas over there in seki japan have realy won me over.
Break on through to the other side!!!
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

lever-for-life,
My Spyderco Native has Golden Colo. USA, Earth
stamped into the metal.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

My every day carry pocket knife is a Buck #307 large three blade Stockmans knife. My Father was a Cabinet Maker and carried this knife in his nail apron every day, it was his work knife. He bought it in the late 1950's early 60's. I have it now and also carry it every day. It is carried in a belt sheath made by Tommy Turner, Wylie, Texas. I also collet Case trappers and sometimes carry one in the same knife holster.

My Buck knife is a tool I use every day, I am lost if it is not on my belt.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Mohillbilly
Levergunner

Post by Mohillbilly »

I got this old Case (it was "old" when I got it ) pocket knife given to me by "UNK" my great uncle Phil ,grand-maws little buba. Its a bone handle two blade, with the main blade( for the most part, original length ) is sharpened to half its width. the long second blade, is a spear point and is purty much all there. I was given it, at about 10, and I'll soon be 58. Whenever I put my hand in my pocket and feel that knife, I think of him. I think of me going fish'n with the men. My brother,and cousins,were left behind, because they could not be kept quiet, or out of the water, whether on the bank or in the boat. That old wornout knife ment I was a young man and not a boy of ten. I count my self really fortunate when , after UNK passed on No one wanted his old chevy, plain-jane, three-on-the-colume, half ton, or the old Sears & Robuck Elgin(rope wind) out board. In his bed room closet, I got a single shot Winchester twenty gauge and a cap gun. All this still makes me smile, I'm a rich man by unks countryboy standards.God blessed him. After all, I got most of what he treasured, everything but his tractor,dogs, and grilfriend, and they didn't "wear" as well as that old knife. Thanks UNK
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Spyderco, never without it unless I have to fly.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Bullet Bob

Post by Bullet Bob »

Small Swiss Army knife, the one with the scissors. Everyday, everywhere. Often carry a Gerber LST Ivory Micarta for bigger jobs.
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

Mine is a Schrade Old Timer 50T.

I have carried one since my Dad gave one to me in 1995. Dad died in 2003 on Sept 12. When he died I realised that the knife had too much sentimental value to carry every day. I had already broken the tip off it while collecting oysters on Police Island just near Zanzibar off the coast of East Africa. On my next trip over to Vietnam it was confiscated from me in Thailand and it took quite a bit of talking to get it back when I landed in Saigon. So after travelling around a fair part of the world with me the original Schrade was put into retirement and after a long search on E-bay I bought two new ones from one of you boys in the States and I still carry my new USA made Schrade Old Timer 50T every day.

Every time I open that knife I think of my Old Man.

Cheers, Pop.
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

These past few years I've been changing depending what day it is. The blade pool circulates between an Emerson CQC-7A, 7B, Commander, P-Sark (that I rescued from an idiot), a BenchMade 710 Axis Lock, and Ares.

I'm really liking the new Emerson CQC-14 Mini TantCom. But the pennies aren't in the cookie jar yet.

- Brian
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Swiss Army....Smaller one with just the blades and saw..
holds a great edge...
on the belt its my folding schrade...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

I live about 35 miles south of the Case factory, and as you could imagine, Case is very popular in these parts. Since the late 60s I carried a Case Trapper until the mid-80s when I switched to a Victorinox Officer Model Swiss Army because of the convenience of the screwdrivers, tweezers, etc. I still carry a Officer Swiss. The Victorinox knoves don't hold an edge like the old Case Trapper, but I attribute that to the stainless steel used by Victorinox and the carbon steel in the Case blades.

Shortly after the CRKT M16 series was introduced, I started carrying one of those, and still do. I have a small version and a larger version, both with non-serrated blades. Both take and hold an outstanding sharp edge.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Oh yeah, I forgot... I have a tiny Leatherman "Geekra" (or somthing like that) that is a Radio-shack labeled Micra with mostly Geek Tools on it that is attached to my keychain...

RE
AndyM wrote: My Pap used to quiz me - to see if I had the 4 things every man should carry. They were a wallet, watch, hankerchief, and knife.
Spectacles, Testicles, Wallet & Watch? (amen) :wink: :lol:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Don't really carry a pocket knife... but do keep a belt knife clipped into the back pocket... a Ken Onion designed Kershaw. I actually have two of them. Had broken the blade keeper on one, and while I waited for Kershaw to send me the new part, I bought another to carry. I used to carry the Kershaw Black Scallion, but didn't find it big enough for some jobs.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

My favorite is a "Primble" 4-blade that my Dad gave me about 40 years ago, but I don't carry or use it much anymore, keepsake. My all the time carry right now is an "Uncle Henry" 2-blade that my daughter gave me for a birthday gift about 8 years ago, it's getting worn down, but still servicable.
UNITE
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

Always a Case...usually a Trapper. All are older with carbon steel blades. I like the bone handles but also have a really nice yellow handle. Gonna be buried with one in my right front pocket (overalls if I have my way).

jumbeaux
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

I have carried a Kershaw Blackout (non-serrated) for the last 12 years. It's an assisted opening knife so I can have it open in a split second and it's an exceedingly comfortable knife to handle. The blade sharpens easily enough and holds an edge well. With a 3.25" blade, it's small enough to carry comfortably but plenty big enough to do what I ask it to.

http://www.thekershawstore.com/PhotoDet ... de=K1550ST
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I have several knives that have a history Great grandads baccy knife(old hawk bill for cuttin chaw)grandmothers camping stockman, but every morning when I put my pants on a victorinox swiss champ gets put in my pocket. It's my third one but the first one I plain lost and the second one somebody at a hunting camp decided they liked it better than me( I was NOT A HAPPY HUNTER). Several years ago My Mom asked me for my pocketknife, I asked her what made her think I had a pocketknife with me? In a split seconnd she replied "Well you have pants on give me the knife". Moms do know they children. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

I have been through a bunch of pocket knives and came to the conclusion that I don't like serrated blades or tanto style blades. Give me a plain edge drop or spear point and I'm set. I also hate loosing an expensive pocket knife too!
For the last 3 years or so I have been carrying and using a CRKT M21-04 while it's not my favorite, it sharpens like a razor and holds the sharpening wonderfully, it's tough as nails and operates as smooth as my Emerson's and Benchmades. Best of all it's relatively cheep! Sure I wish it was made in the USA instead of Taiwan it's still a quality knife that does everything I require of it. I could loose it and not feel to bad about it either.

http://www.leescutlery.com/crm2cadefokn.html
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

my favorite was the "Sodbuster" from some major brand, can't remember which one. I bought it at the hardware store in high school. I liked the shape of the blade and size, it was just quality all around. Left it on a Greyhound bus in college, oh well.

Now I carry the small Buck knife, looks like the standard Buck but it's about half size. Don't really like it but it is sharp, I guess it will do.

I also have a regular Buck, I save that for the hunting pack. I optimistically ordered it during my first deer season, and its first use was to gut and skin my buck.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Here is the one I carry, a Case Mid Hunter with carbon steel blade.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

I have been using a Gerber Para frame knive for a few years now... the current one is #3. I like the smaller, non-serrated version.

Walmart for less than $30... the first one grew legs and walked away...#2 is in a horse stall - but I never could find it...These Gerbers hone up nice... and the deploy quickly and the blade lock stays solid.

I have a few nice knives... but fear loss. I've been given Case Stockman's knives for gifts... and have a few Old Timers... but they are put away.
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

These days I carry a Camillus trapper most of the time.

My all-time favorite is a Hoffritz Swiss Army Knife I got when I was 8.
It's been everywhere with me. Opening beer bottles at the Hockenheim Ring,
opening mail in Japan, camping in the Appalachians, whittling sticks, cleaning fish,
adjusting carbs on motorbikes, and when I was a college student, it had the only
corkscrew I owned! :lol: I got it in New York in 1968. My dad took me to The
City for a day, and I got a baseball, a Spaulding pitcher's glove, the knife,
and lunch at the Empire State Building. A day I'll never forget, and I still have
the knife to remember it by.

-Stretch
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Around town, a mini leatherman in my jeans watch pocket, and a Spyderco Police model. The mini does all the day to day chores, the Spyderco is for more serious stuff. Never had to use it, but it has the serrated edge kept razor sharp with a Spyderco Tri-angle Sharpmaker.

In the field, the mini still rides in the watch pocket, and usually a Buck Titanium Folding Hunter. My original Buck Folding Hunter, Model 110, has been with me since my service days. Too much sentimental value to risk loosing, but it still has an edge you wouldn't believe. Can't seem to get today's Bucks as sharp. Different steel?
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Adobe Walls
Levergunner

Post by Adobe Walls »

Howdy

I guess my hands down favorite has to be my Victorinox Huntsman Swiss Army type. It's almost a minature tool box. It hasn't got pliers, but I also carry a Leatherman "Kick" daily. It's pretty much a pair of pliers but with a few tools and a spare knife tossed in. If I really was in the boonies all the time I would HAVE to add a 6" to 8" fixed blade knife of some type though, since big hacking and cutting jobs simply require a real KNIFE. I have a few different ones that I like that will fill that bill. No real clear cut favorite in that department though.AW
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

I ussually carry one of a few different Case pocket knives. Recently I started to carry this Great Eastern Cutlery, it is becoming a favorite. This one is 440c but similar is also availale in 1095.
Last edited by dr walker on Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

I'm usually in dress slacks so I need small and light. I have two knives that I will interchange on a day to day basis. One a medium sized (but thin) Victorinox Swiss with the normal goodies. The other, and favorite, is a $20 Schrade Uncle Henry stockman. I love that little thing - it's simplicity and usefulness have kept in my pocket for over a decade.
Chad
waz
Levergunner

Post by waz »

Schrade Old Timer Mustang 125OT. When I was a kid I saved up for what seemed like ages. It goes everywhere I go.

Waz
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

Case Medium Stockman........everyday.
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

A ~2.5" Gerber with a plastic handle. I've carried this knife 20+ years. I used to slide past magontemeters at the airport with this in my pocket. No mas post 9/11. Being a Fed they limit us to 2.5".
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I have a small handful that i rotate in and out, but all have different jobs, so they all stay in the truck glovebox just in case.

Buck 110 (classic large lockback, single blade) -- i love the way they look after all these years and a replacement is 35 or 40 bucks if it gets lost

Snap-On folding lockback box knife

Stainless Camillus GI pocketknife. The most popular feature is the bottle opener on some weekends
----- Doug