Brass frame '92?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JDL
Levergunner 2.0

Brass frame '92?

Post by JDL »

I saw some ads for a brass frame Puma '92 in .357 and .45 Colt. I wonder if the frames will let the bolts set back on them?
JDL
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Brass frame '92?

Post by 2ndovc »

I'm sure that someone will be along that knows for sure but I thought I'd read somewhere that they're plated and not solid
brass.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

They are brass, the only one I ever handled belonged to an acquaintance. It looked pretty nice but it was having some feeding issues and was far from smooth. I gave him Nate's phone # and told him he could fix it but he was already talking of trading it off. Don't know what he did with it. By all accounts they are fine with standard loads but hot rodding of the 45 colt version is something I wouldn't do.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I got a good deal on a Brass .45 Puma but haven't shot it much or shot very 'hot' loads in it (the .45 Colt is PLENTY able to thump Bambi as is), so can't answer personally. It 'seems' slicker in action than the steel-on-steel but I don't know if there is any inherent 'lubricity' factor or not. I've heard that the heavy stainless steel ones in .454 Casull DID get some peening and increased headspace with VERY hot loads, but never seen much to verify that or if it would happen with more reasonable loads. If stainless can peen you'd think brass would even more, but the stainless on my .454 is VERY soft, so maybe there's the issue with the .454's (haven't shot that one much at all due to cost of factory loads and not wanting to put loading a one-gun cartridge high on my reloading to-do list.

I posted the 'strength' question maybe six months ago, so if you search for 'brass' in subject lines using the search function it might pop up. No 'definitive' answer, if I recall. I just won't plan on loading beyond factory levels in the .45; of course if you have a .357, there's lots more pressure in those factory loads, I'm thinking...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "