Your next caliber?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Your next caliber?

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Well, we've talked here about what your next levergun would be, what your next gun of any kind would be, and what your dream gun would be. So here is a different twist. What caliber don't you have/shoot today that you'd like to obtain a gun for - and why?

Me? Well, a .303 British for Y2K, as he wants an SMLE. For me, possibly the .444 Marlin. Just because I've always been intrigued by the ".44 Magnum Magnum"! :D
GEOFF
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Your next caliber?

Post by GEOFF »

YK,

Good idea for a thread. For sure with me it will be a .25-35. Never had one, never even fired one. Unheard of for this old Marlin guy I've got an 1894 Winchester in rifle configuration coming this week. It ain't pretty but should have a decent bore. Have 200 rounds of factory 117 grain loads coming from some guy down in Texas off of gunbroker. That will give me lots of brass and next is the learning curve on powder etc.... But that's what we do it for RIGHT???!!!!!!

My wife's making me get a colonoscopy this Thursday, hopefully this new acquisition will be my reward for GOING THRU THIS ORDEAL!!!!!!!! I had a cousin die at age 50 from colon cancer so it's probably a good idea to establish a baseline at the age of 45 now.

Geoff
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Right with you GEOFF, you are going to love it.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

I think I have enough different calibers. Instead of getting new calibers, I believe I'm going to try to replace some of the guns I've had to sell off over the years.

That means I need a new .44 Remmag revolver and lever-gun and two new .45-70's a Marlin Model 1895 and either another Rolling Block or a Sharps copy.

Keeping up with powders for .38 SPL, .357 Mag, .44 Sp;, . 44 RemMag, .45 ACP, .30-30, ;358 Win, and .45-70 is about as much as I want to keep up with.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I want an Uberti '76 in 45-60 Winchester. I like the '76's and the 45-60 won't have as much juice as my 45-90 so I should be able to cycle those rounds through fairly quick for when I'm a riding horseback.
Old Law Dawg
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

I am seriously thinking about having my .45-70 Lone Star Rolling Block re-barreled to .50-70 Gov't. w/ a wiping rod --like the Ballard #5 Pacific. I have 2 original .50-70's, but in deference to their age, I rather not give them much -- if any -- use.

If I re-barrel, I'll have a new fore stock made. The wood on the rifle is very plain & the gunsmith he says could match it. That way, if my heir or the next owner wants to return the rifle to its original configuration, it will be easy -- just screw the barrel back in, install the original extractor & fore stock.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

I do the SASS/CAS and use my 44-40 90% of the time . The bottle neck case are design to feed in a lever gun and the 44-40 brass I've reloaded over 70 times without 1 case fail . I load my SASS/CAS 750 fps and my level 3 loads meet or exceed 44 mag data , plus it make a perfect black powder case because it seals 10 time better then a straight wall . My 32-20 is a flat shooter , blows the new 327 mag in the weed with level 3 loads and is super fun to shoot and is super accurate out to 200 yds , with any load I put in it .

Image..Image
Image......Image
Jacko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jacko »

I am selling a No1 Mk 3 SMLE and a Central Arms sight to a mate in a month or so and putting the money in a hidey hole until around the end of this year when I am looking at getting a 45.70 , likely a Marlin but a quality single shot holds lots of appeal for me . Between my Browning BL22 , Rossi .357 magnum and the 45.70 I will have every species of game I've ever dreamed about hunting covered and can do as little damage or as much damage to my wallet on the practice range as I can afford . Add my 12 guage S x S shotgun and I will have my perfect range of calibres

regards Jacko
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Can I bend the rules and propose any of these three calibers?

Listening....................

Okay - no objections.

Any of these three would tickle my fancy:
1) Browning BLR 358 Winchester
Up close, it beats the .30-06 in power and effect; it can be loaded with lighter .38/.357 type loads using those bullets; it's a lever gun!; I've never had a BLR and they are pretty neat and different; it would be nice to have a levergun that allows spire points; and not everybody has one!

2) .30-06 BLR
Again, this levergun allows spitzers, and a larger variety of loads can be fired than in my M1. What a great long range survival rifle! And that Browning makes a pretty, if different, levergun - part of the fun.

3) .45 Colt Marlin Levergun (Don't they make one?)
It's a great, versatile and powerful cartridge for both levergun and pistol; If I got a levergun, I might be able to convince my wife that I really needed one of those expensive .45 revolvers; It's part of the Code of the West to own a .45 - John Wayne, Hoppy, Doye O'Dell (whom I met and took photos with), the Lone Ranger, the Cisco Kid, Marshal Dillon, Gene Autry, Roy Rogers - ALL the REAL cowboys had a .45. Any gun expert knows that!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I might have all my bases covered with Marlin levers..... .22, Winnie, a .22mag, .218 Bee, 32-20, 30WCF, a 336 reemed out for .358, a .444, and a couple 45-70s. Add to that a Winnie 1895 in .405 and a 1886EL in 45-70 and I'm not real sure what else I need. I do have a '06 stinky bolt if I need something to reach way out and touch something. I think maybe I need a couple more Single Actions, in calibers I already have. Oh, heck, I don't know :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

It's a great, versatile and powerful cartridge for both levergun and pistol;
The early 45LC did not have the large rim it has today and extractors didn't work , plus straight wall case didn't seal black powder and would foul chamber up and make the gun useless after firing a few rounds fire in it without cleaning .

Add to that a Winnie 1895 in .405 and a 1886EL in 45-70 and I'm not real sure what else I need. I do have a '06 stinky bolt if I need something to reach way out and touch something.
Not many people can shoot a 405 or 45-70 over 300 yds and hit anything . The flat shooting 30-06 make the avg shoot a marksman and easier to shoot long distance .
Image..Image
Image......Image
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Well, we've talked here about what your next levergun would be, what your next gun of any kind would be, and what your dream gun would be. So here is a different twist. What caliber don't you have/shoot today that you'd like to obtain a gun for - and why?

Me? Well, a .303 British for Y2K, as he wants an SMLE. For me, possibly the .444 Marlin. Just because I've always been intrigued by the ".44 Magnum Magnum"! :D
for me it has been a 2 year wait to get this one but its here.not a lever but a bolt gun.

brno ZKK 602 in 375 H&H.just thought it would go great with the BB94 in 375 :lol:

DAV life member.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Need something in 25 cal and 33 cal . Maybe a 338MX , haven't handled one yet. I wil try to fill one of these needs (wants) this year.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Kewl thread - As most know, I have down sized both my collection and the number of calibers I have. .22lr, .357, 30-30, 45-70, 45acp, 12ga and .54 in BP. I'm unlikely to budge off that selection in the near future other than to perhaps ditch the 30-30. Any firearm I purchase will have to be in those calibers. EXCEPT: The S&W Schofield that should arrrive this week in .45 S&W. The nice think about it is that it can shoot the same bullets as the .45acp :D I kinda justified it that way. :lol: The only other caliber I would go for might be .405 Jeffries or 470 NE just because I have always wanted a double gun in one of those calibers. Never can tell when a rogue pacaderm will run down your street. :lol:

edit: Oops, forgot .308, thats why i'm ditching the 30-30.
Last edited by rjohns94 on Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

that gun right there in 44-40
in my signature....always wanted it since i was a kid!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

rjohns94 wrote:Kewl thread - As most know, I have down sized both my collection and the number of calibers I have. .22lr, .357, 30-30, 45-70, 45acp, 12ga and .54 in BP. I'm unlikely to budge off that selection in the near future other than to perhaps ditch the 30-30. Any firearm I purchase will have to be in those calibers. EXCEPT: The S&W Schofield that should arrrive this week in .45 S&W. The nice think about it is that it can shoot the same bullets as the .45acp :D I kinda justified it that way. :lol: The only other caliber I would go for might be .405 Jeffries or 470 NE just because I have always wanted a double gun in one of those calibers. Never can tell when a rogue pacaderm will run down your street. :lol:
+1 on the....
:lol: rogue pacaderm :lol:

223 45acp 375H&H
DAV life member.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! no more calibers.....paaaahhhhllleeeezzzzeee.....no more........
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I have a Henry .22 Mag pump on order right now.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

My next caliber has to be something I've never had before. I'm leaning towards a ....
.44 Mag, Special, or -40. I've already got the dies, so getting started isn't a problem.

...................................................................................
tn gun runner

Post subject: Re: Your next caliber? Reply with quote
The early 45LC did not have the large rim it has today and extractors didn't work , plus straight wall case didn't seal black powder and would foul chamber up and make the gun useless after firing a few rounds fire in it without cleaning .
This is only partially correct. As a matter of fact there were no long guns made for the .45 Colt prior to 1985, so other than tests using old balloon head cases and current black powder, we really have no idea of what the guns of yore would have done with the original black powder ammo.
W30WCF and myself ran a grueling test on our lever guns using balloon head cases and black powder several years ago. We posted them in a three thread series over on Beartooth forums.
What we found out was that our lever guns would feed, chamber, extract and eject the balloon head cases with their small rims just fine.
John prepared his cases a bit differently than I did and had less troubles. IIRC he also used only REM-UMC cases whereas I used several different brands.
With smokeless powder neither of our lever guns had any trouble at all with the small rims.
With black powder his Marlin kept on shooting long after my Rossi gunked up. That was mostly my fault because I used the wrong lube on my bullets. That is what caused 90% of the failures to extract.

Calling the rim on current .45 Colt ammo large is kind of a misnomer. Compared to about every other case it's still tiny. And yet there are numerous people shooting black powder out of that tiny rimmed case with good results.

If you want to read our threads go here:

Part 1= http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=4414
Part 2= http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=5815
Part 3= http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=16333

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I just did it Friday - .500 S&W :mrgreen: - found a beat-up (sights only) Handi-Rifle cheap and I'd have replaced the sights anyway. I'll post a Range Report when I get sights on it.

Maybe someday a .50 BMG single-shot, but not in this lifetime/income strata..! :lol:

(...maybe '.50 BMG' can be what I'll call my 'little' .500 S&W - "But it's My Gun"
Last edited by AJMD429 on Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Tycer wrote:NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! no more calibers.....paaaahhhhllleeeezzzzeee.....no more........
I'm with ya Tycer. Don't have time or room for anymore calibers. I'm stocking up (hoarding) factory loaded ammo and handloading components for the ones I have now -- .22 LR; .30-30; .30-06; .444 Marlin . Those will do for/kill anything I'll ever come in contact with and probably anything anyone will come across anywhere.
ED
Yer never too old
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I can't think of any caliber I want, that I have not, or do not own. I don't have enough years left to wring all of the goodie out of what I have. There are rifles in the safe that have never been fired and some that have not been fired in 20 years. I very enjoy enjoy handloading and shooting, but the "gotta have a new gun" bug has at last worn off. Time to enjoy what I have and not spend time and money lusting after what I don't have.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Tycer wrote:NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! no more calibers.....paaaahhhhllleeeezzzzeee.....no more........
Same here! :lol: I'm culling mine...
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

J Miller wrote: ... As a matter of fact there were no long guns made for the .45 Colt prior to 1985
Joe
Just so that I don't sound like a TOTAL dummy, my post was talking about my TV cowboy heroes, who represented a previous era, toting a .45 handgun, not a long gun. The gist was that I think that both would be neat, even if the .45 Colt handgun/rifle is not a "historically correct" combination! I believe that it is still written somewhere within the Code of the West.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

6.5x55 for starts then a 30-06 and a 300 Win Mag for bolt guns. A 92 or H&R in 357 would be a Must for next deer season for my oldest son.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Well, I thought I was happy and content with what I currently have.
“BUT” now after seeing rost495’s post and several others, I now
think I need a model 92 in 32-20. :shock:

It just never really ends does it :?: :roll: :wink:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

JohndeFresno wrote:
J Miller wrote: ... As a matter of fact there were no long guns made for the .45 Colt prior to 1985
Joe
Just so that I don't sound like a TOTAL dummy, my post was talking about my TV cowboy heroes, who represented a previous era, toting a .45 handgun, not a long gun. The gist was that I think that both would be neat, even if the .45 Colt handgun/rifle is not a "historically correct" combination! I believe that it is still written somewhere within the Code of the West.

John,

You're not a total dummy and my comment wasn't about your comment .... ahhh that's makes sense ... right?

As a matter of fact when I picked up the 1985 Winchester Catalog and saw the newly introduced 94AE Trapper in .45 Colt I jumped for joy and acted like someone who had found the Lost Dutchman's mine would have. I'd wanted a lever gun in .45 Colt for years. It took me till 86 to get one, but I got it and I still got it.

If it's not a code of the west, it should be.

I still wana .44 just cos I ain't neber had one.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Just went to the post office and mailed the money order an the ffl paper. With any Luck at all the Marlin 45-70 will be here by the end of the week. but i'm really not excited... :wink: .
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

[quote="tn gun runner"]3) .45 Colt Marlin Levergun (Don't they make one?)

I post the answer to the mans question , Why long guns were not made in popular 45lc and made in the less popular 44-40 in the early gun . I didn't post 1000 word about it . If I'm wrong you tell me why Winc and Marlin didn't make them , so I don't post the wrong infor . Just because you got away shooting it , that only one rifle how about the million rifle made and 50 million orginal black powder ammo made in balloon cases . 66 and 73 don't have the best extractor like the 92 .
Image..Image
Image......Image
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I don't know what my next caliber will be but I am leaning towards either .308Win or .30-30. Or, if my next aquasition is a pistol it'll be probably be .380acp, 9mm, .40S&W or .45acp. Hmm, didn't know this would be such a tough question. :lol:
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

tn gun runner wrote:
tn gun runner wrote:3) .45 Colt Marlin Levergun (Don't they make one?)

I post the answer to the mans question , Why long guns were not made in popular 45lc and made in the less popular 44-40 in the early gun . I didn't post 1000 word about it . If I'm wrong you tell me why Winc and Marlin didn't make them , so I don't post the wrong infor . Just because you got away shooting it , that only one rifle how about the million rifle made and 50 million orginal black powder ammo made in balloon cases . 66 and 73 don't have the best extractor like the 92 .
As best as I've been able to find out, Colt had an exclusive patent on that cartridge. If you'll notice none of the other handgun manufacturers of that era made guns chambered for the .45 Colt either. Not Remington or Merwin and Hulbert or S&W or anyone. Winchester and Marlin I'm sure also realized that they could sell all the 44-40s they could make so even after Colts patent ran out they didn't bother.
What you said, isn't totally untrue, the little rims are not as good as the larger rims of the other cartridges, and straight walled cases do tend to foul faster, but it's not totally unreliable either.
I've fired .45 Colt black powder balloon heads from two different rifles. My original 1985 vintage Win 94AE Trapper and my Rossi. John Kort ( W30WCF) has fired many of them through his Marlin 1894 Cowboy. Neither of us has had any major problems with them.
Now, if you'll think about how small and feeble the extractor on the AE 94s are, then compare it to the extractors of the 1873s, I'd bet a brick of primers the extractor of the 1873 Winchester is a better design than the one on the 94AE.

So, there we are. That's my story and I'm stickin to it.

Joe
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

Colt-Burgess was only made in 44-40 , the Colt lightning was made 32-20 , 38-40 , 44-40 and about 6 larger rifle cal , but never made it in 45LC . I knew they had the pattern on the pistol I didn't know about ammo . Why wasn't the lightning ever chamber in it ?
Image..Image
Image......Image
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

WATCH OUT JOE!!!! You don't have enough primers to be making a bet like that!!!! :lol:
ED
Yer never too old
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

What you are looking at is the original configuration of the 45 Colt cartridge in 1873. No, it is not a balloon head case, it is a copper cased, Benet primed cartridge. And yes, that tiny rim is the reason nobody bothered to chamber rifles for the cartridge, there is nothing for an extractor claw to grab. The Benet system was a very early centerfire ignition method. The priming compound was sandwiched between the base of the cartridge and an internal 'anvil plate'. The rim of the cartridge was folded over very much like the rim of a rimfire cartridge. The dent at the base of the cartridge is a cannelure holding the anvil plate in place. Here is another photo of some Benet primed rounds. One has been cut open and you can see the interior construction. You can also see there is no externally visible primer, and they almost look like rimfire rounds. That tiny rim was only designed to hold the round in place in a revolver chamber. No thought was given to extraction, because the rounds were poked out from the inside with an ejector rod. Besides, the folded construction of the Benet type rim was so weak an extractor claw would probably have ripped right through it, just as happened with the Benet primed 45-70 rounds that Custer's troops used at the Little Big Horn.

Image..Image
Image......Image
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

So may caliber's,so little time. I have leverguns in the following calibers............
22LR
25-20
300 Savage
30-30
32 Spl
35 Rem
44 mag
44-40
45 colt
I need to enjoy this group or mayyyyyyybbbbbbbe one more in 45-70...........?
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Well, TGR, you seem to have all the answers. I told you what I know.

You know I have a couple of them Benet primed cartridges in my cartridge collection and they are very expensive to buy. I've never had enough to section one out though.

If I had some more I'd try them in my lever guns. But with only two it's not really a test.

Those Benet primed cartridges were military issue and were replaced by boxer primed balloon head cartridges within a few years.
I "thought" we were discussing civilian firearms and ammunition. But I guess I was wrong.
Hard to discuss anything when the subject keeps changing.

You're right Modoc Ed, I don't have enough primers.

Joe
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

tn gun runner wrote:What you are looking at is the original configuration of the 45 Colt cartridge in 1873....
Too cool, Gun Runner. I have never heard nor seen anything like that. Thank you for the information.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I've been conflicted on this question in the past. I've often said "no more calibers" as well - I already have too many to feed (I know, a good problem as problems go). This forum is directly responsible for me adding at least two more - the .25-20 and .32-20 WCF rounds. Now I just figure that having another caliber is not a big deal. If it appears interesting, I'll give it a whirl. Worst that can happen is I don't like it and use it for trade fodder in the future.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I, too, would like a '76 in .45-60 and an 1885 in .32-40.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

I learned a lot off this post that I didn't know before . Thanks to J Miller I learn a lot about 45 LC . I'm a 44-40 man and 32-20 is my fun gun .

Image..Image
Image......Image
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

32/20 Just got it this morning was 10'bull T/C barrel from AWP101. Nice part is ,it is .308 bore Dont have to buy mold or nothing just brass and dies. Also have always wanted a Ruger No.1 in 458 mag. Dont know why, just one of those itches that dont go away from my 1st childhood
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

3leggedturtle wrote:32/20 Just got it this morning was 10'bull T/C barrel from AWP101. Nice part is ,it is .308 bore Dont have to buy mold or nothing just brass and dies. Also have always wanted a Ruger No.1 in 458 mag. Dont know why, just one of those itches that dont go away from my 1st childhood
Redding makes the 30-20 TC dies

http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#30-20____-_
Image..Image
Image......Image
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I have a modest collection compared to many of you on this board, but even i have more than i can keep up with on the re-loading end.

But that said,

for all practical purposes (what the heck is practical) most of my levergun needs are covered, with a .22LR, .30-30, .45-70, and a .44 Mag on the way.

I have been thinking about going one better and adding an 1895 in .30-06

Lets not forget about the 1911 i am hem-hawing around on

I also need to purchase a bolt rifle for this batch of beautiful .300 Wby brass i have for when its time to go for the 1000 yd. gongs
Was going for a Vanguard, but may purchase an older, Japanese Mark 5 instead (much prettier than the Vanguard, and pretty easy to find through Gunbroker)

So thats it , .30-'06, .300 Weatherby Magnum, and .45 ACP are the 3 new ones i would like to have in no particular order

And thats it, unless you count my yearning for a vintage Python .357, a Bird's Head Vaquero or equivalent, but i have equipment already in .357 and .45 Colt, so those wouldn't be duplicate calibers
----- Doug
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Well, a 12 gauge and a 22 or two 22's... need a better home defense weapon than the trusty 38, "just in case" and also need something cheaper to shoot and that I can at least occasionally obtain ammo for through the Federation down here. Ammo for both the 12 and the 22 can be obtained through the Federation, the 22 being relatively inexpensive (only $112 for a brick of ammo as opposed to almost the same for a couple boxes of 38's). I've actually located both - now I need a buyer for a kidney or two...
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

With ammo & component prices/availability the way they are, I've been shooting a lot (well, not a lot - I'm hardly shooting these days) of .22 & .38 Special (3.5 Bullseye = 2000 rds per lb.) - but I don't recall the last time I pulled the trigger on a "real" rifle. I'm considering picking up a .223 bolt gun of some kind - maybe even use it for deer :o .