new to me 1894 Marlin

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

new to me 1894 Marlin

Post by Streetstar »

After posting a thread debating the utility/practicality of .44's vs .45's, I Knuckled under and made arrangements to purchase a pre-safety 1894 carbine in .44 Mag. This is my first experience with a dealer from out of town (shipment to my FFL, etc etc) -- so i hope it turns out good. Since i am relatively new in the levergun hobby, i am building up my battery of "shooters" first and this one will hopefully fill the bill for a lot of weekend fun. Looks clean enough, but not so clean that i would be afraid to put it in a scabbard or on my truck's gun rack

$360 plus my local FFL fee. Seemed reasonable enough --- not necessarily a steal. but good enough not to worry about my purchase price any. Dealer was Collector's Firearms in Houston and they were excellent to deal with so far, but will know for sure when this thing lands in my hands

I should have a couple of boxes of cowboy action strength loads produced for it by the time it gets here thanks to some fool who left 100 rds of once fired .44 Mag and 50 rds of .44 Spl brass at my local range :lol: I prefer .45 Colt, due to having some pistols in that chambering, but it would take a long time to find a .45 carbine for 360 bucks :lol:

Now ........... the waiting game begins

whoops - tried to cut and paste the pics from the web page, but the pixel size was too big --- link to the little rifle is below
http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/admin ... emID=27986
----- Doug
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: new to me 1894 Marlin

Post by Blaine »

The 1894s are addicting....... I went from zero to three in under a year :oops: The darn things come right up to my shoulder and the sights are perfect for me......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BlaineG wrote:The 1894s are addicting....... I went from zero to three in under a year :oops: The darn things come right up to my shoulder and the sights are perfect for me......
+1... er, I mean "+3" :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I just love rich folks who leave brass I can use at the range. I say a silent thank you for each piece I pick up. Two thank yous if its .45 Colt brass.

I'm getting fonder of the Marlin 1894. I should I've had 4 of them. Two were stinkers and two were keepers so I'm even. I'd like to find an inexpensive 1894 in .44 mag. Thanks to the rich folks I got lots of .44 Mag and special brass all cleaned up and ready.

Oh one thought, that cowboy level ammo you cooked up might be too light. Look for sooty brass and blow back. And make sure each bullet actually leaves the barrel.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

I've got 1 of those in SS, it is a lot of fun to shoot.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

J Miller wrote:I just love rich folks who leave brass I can use at the range. I say a silent thank you for each piece I pick up. Two thank yous if its .45 Colt brass.

I'm getting fonder of the Marlin 1894. I should I've had 4 of them. Two were stinkers and two were keepers so I'm even. I'd like to find an inexpensive 1894 in .44 mag. Thanks to the rich folks I got lots of .44 Mag and special brass all cleaned up and ready.

Oh one thought, that cowboy level ammo you cooked up might be too light. Look for sooty brass and blow back. And make sure each bullet actually leaves the barrel.

Joe

point taken on the "cowboy" loads --- , i haven't started yet, i have just been re-sizing cases. i'll double check my reloading manuals for carbine specific info. . Worst case scenario, i'll just have to buy a different type of powder i guess -- so not the end of the world

as far as range brass --- i love it--- i have a ton of once fired '06 brass now i am saving for my 1895 Win. foray from guys taking their deer rifle , or whatever to the range and blowin' up a couple of boxes. Some days are good and some are bad though --- i was there last night practicing .22 BR 50 and came with zilch for extra brass.
----- Doug
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Congratulations on the new purchase! I now own two of what I call the "medium" sized Marlins, one in 357 and one in 44. I'd like a second 357 for a truck gun. IMHO they are the handiest, most versatile rifles currently made.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

You'll love it ! I have owned an 1894P - the 16" barreled/ported .44Mag for almost 8 years, now, w/o any issues.

Some time ago, I "LeverScouted" (is that a new word ?) mine, with a forward-mounted pistol scope, in addition to the XS peep/front sights.

JDL
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JDL »

Looks like a nice little carbine! I have (had) a similar one and it is a hoot to shoot but, I lost it last November when my Grandson killed his first deer with it:

One 250 grain cast bullet@ 1528 fps into chest cavity. :D
JDL
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

My first centerfire levergun was a Marlin 1894 in .44mag. Bought it used at a pawn shop, $212.00 OTD. I love it, you will too. For mild loads in mine I use 8gr of Unique behind a 240gr RNFP, loads of fun. Same bullet with 10gr Unique I would hunt with.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

That's about the onlyest way I don't mind losing a gun.
My son did it to me, long 'bout '76, and now my Grandson's gone and done it too - must run in the family. ;) :mrgreen:

Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

I stumbled into an 1894 yesterday. Opportunity came along on this pre-safety (1979 vintage) 1894 in .44 Magnum. After some serious horse trading, it's mine and I'm less an electric trolling motor, a cassette predator caller and some ammo in calibers I no longer own. It's in great shape and doesn't appear to have ever been in the woods.

I'm hoping this one shoots better than the other .44 Marlins I've had. If not I think I'll send it back for an octagon "cowboy" barrel and have a pre safety 1894 cowboy.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Guys, because of their slow twist, 1 in 38 inches IIRC, a lighter bullet running at higher velocities will shoot better in these rifles. I have had good grouping with 200 gr, and even 180 gr bullets and stiff loads of H110.. will kill anything you have a reason to shoot at.. HTH Les
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

Gday mate,
My 1894 Marlin Cowboy Ltd shoots a 240g RNFP with 8.5g Unique or 8.4g Universal to a ragged hole over 50 metres from a rest. Thats a light cowboy load that delivers the goods on Cowboy silhouettes to 100yds/mtrs. Using a Williams peep. Off hand the groups aint so tight, but enough to take the steel down. Experiment and enjoy.
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Was my first lever gun ( not counting the Daisy BB gun )
3 1/2 decades later , it's still the one I reach for most often :mrgreen:
Phil