Custom 32-40 Ruger

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Custom 32-40 Ruger

Post by TX Gun Runner »

I built this in around 1982 to shoot the Schutzen matches . It is design to shoot offhand & bench , iron sights or scope , 100 and 200 yds and shoot cast bullets and no gas checks are allowed .

Image..Image
Image......Image
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Custom 32-40 Ruger

Post by JReed »

Wow that is a great looking rifle. Nice shooting to boot.
Thats a pretty stiff looking barrel how much does the gun weigh?
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
reflex264
Levergunner 1.0

Post by reflex264 »

That is gorgeous and a great shooter too. I saw a similar one built on a #1 in 38-55. reflex264
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Awesome!

Who can re-barrel the No. 1 in such a non-standard caliber? I'd LOVE one in .444 Marlin...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

TnGunRunner: is that a Ruger#3? I knew a few Shooters who did similar conversions w/ Ruger #3's. Yours looks very nice & looks like it can hold its own against the Big Boys.

What did you do to the trigger?
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Awesome! 8)
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

Ray Newman wrote:What did you do to the trigger?
I took seven parts out of trigger and replaced them with one of my design and all the adjustment are made at trigger . I won over 50 1st places with gun .

Image..Image
Image......Image
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

reflex264 wrote:That is gorgeous and a great shooter too. I saw a similar one built on a #1 in 38-55. reflex264
Ruger for a very short while made some #1's in the 38-55 chambering .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Ray Newman wrote:TnGunRunner: is that a Ruger#3? I knew a few Shooters who did similar conversions w/ Ruger #3's. Yours looks very nice & looks like it can hold its own against the Big Boys.

What did you do to the trigger?
It seems to have a #3 lever and from the looks of it a #3 stock as well !
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Way cool!
Offhand right? :lol:
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

is that a Ruger#3? I knew a few Shooters who did similar conversions w/ Ruger #3's. Yours looks very nice & looks like it can hold its own against the Big Boys.
Yes it was a no3 in 44 mag or 30-40 krag , I've made 5 of these in different cal .

Who can re-barrel the No. 1 in such a non-standard caliber? I'd LOVE one in .444 Marlin...
I don't know anyone .... I've re-barreled 2 in 45-70 and they both where shoots , The 444 is limited in bullet selection and barrel twist .

Thats a pretty stiff looking barrel how much does the gun weigh?
Don't know maybe 10 lbs

Image..Image
Image......Image
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

tn gun runner wrote:Who can re-barrel the No. 1 in such a non-standard caliber? I'd LOVE one in .444 Marlin...
I don't know anyone .... I've re-barreled 2 in 45-70 and they both where shoots , The 444 is limited in bullet selection and barrel twist .

Actually it isn't that limited !

I got a letter from agentleman just yesterday that has had a couple rollingblocks rebarreled to 444 Marlin for use in BPCR and Creedmore type matches . He tells me he's had a couple made with some pretty quick twists and he's had very good luck !

And as to limited bullet selection I don't consider that a factor either ! My mold selection at the moment ranges from 207 grains to 345 . Now all my molds are made to be used in a lever action , but I see no great problem in having a more round nose type bullet being cut by Mountain Molds or someone like that .
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

Here one I built and I'm think of selling it

Image..Image
Image......Image
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

On the Rugers, what do you do about the hanger under the barrel for the mainspring? Do you simply remove it and attach to the barrel, or????
Nice looking guns, and congratulations on some darn fine shooting!-Vall
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Gun runner, Nice rifles and great shooting!

I have a #1 that I built into a .32-40 breech seater target rifle . The work was done by Penrod Precision (he advertises in Rifle Mag.)
His work is very high quality. Mine has a Douglas Schutzen 30" 8MM barrel and I cast 170 gr. bullets with a NEI mold that came from the old shop. 14gr. IMR 4227 gives 1400 fps and less than 1/2" five shot groups at 100yd.
My rifle wears a Leupold 36X scope.
Buck penrod bent the Reciever extension down to clear the large dia. barrel,fitted the barrel and did an excelent job on the trigger. The trigger feels like a Jewel BR trigger. :D
I bought blank scope mount bases and contoured them myself in a jig I made for the lathe. Drilled and tapped the barrel and mounted the scope myself also.
I had to re inlet the forearm barrel channel and made and mounted a block for the bottom of the barrel so the stock is mounted to the barrel and not the reciever extension and is free floated although by only about a few thousandths from the reciever.
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

marlinman93 wrote:On the Rugers, what do you do about the hanger under the barrel for the mainspring? Do you simply remove it and attach to the barrel, or????
There about .010 between hanger and barrel and the forearm don't touch barrel . The hammer fall or travel has been cut in 1/2 and lighten to decrease lock time for off hand shooting . The trigger is my design , it adjust for sear engagement and weight at outside of trigger . The barrel is 20 inches to decrease bullet barrel time . I made the breach seating tool for Douglas .324 barrel and breach chamber cut in barrel . I lathe cut most of my bullet molds , the targets are Ron Long bullets , the 40 and 32 in pic is mine .

CHUCK nice looking gun ... I used a weaver 70 base for a XP100 1 piece
Image..Image
Image......Image