.44 mag or .45 colt ??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizzzly
Levergunner

.44 mag or .45 colt ??

Post by Grizzzly »

I am down to 2 calibers. I have found numerous guns in either caliber & just want to hear more opinions on both as far as accuracy to 125 yards, etc. I do not reload as of yet but I may in the future. I am going to go for a 16" barrel, in a winchester 94ae trapper in .44 mag or .45 colt, or a winchester 92 in .45 colt (which is a better gun ?) or a Puma in either caliber 16" barrel. Any gun I get will go to Stevesgunz to be slicked up. I found a couple of Hartford winchester 92 in .45 lc, one in stainless that I like alot. Is 45 colt & 45 long colt the same thing ? I don't have alot of knowledge when it comes to rifles. I am going to shoot open sights & hunt in pretty heavy cover, shots will more likely be under 100 yards. Just want some input on the caliber choices. Thanks guys, John
Hunt safe, leave the land cleaner than you found it & pass on your love for the outdoors to someone else........'nuff said !!!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Re: .44 mag or .45 colt ??

Post by Buck Elliott »

Get set up to reload, and pick up the Winchester '92 in .45 Colt -- then never look back.

The .94 in a pistol cartridge caliber is a perversion of design, and not as strong or as slick as the '92...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

I have always been a .44Mag fan and if you don't reload I would say it is easier to find .44Mag ammo,
I can't help thinking I am missing out, not having a .45 carbine or pistol though.
To make matters worst, don't discount the .357Mag, it really wakes up in a 16" barrel and I find myself shooting the .357 more these days.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Since you're not a reloader yet, I'd say the 44. You will have a better selection of ammo with the 44 Mag.
NRA Life Member
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Both the 92 and 94 are excellent choices.
If you are going to hand load for it then either will work just fine. If not my choice would be the 44 Mag only that there seems to be greater choices when it comes to factory ammuniton. Though with companies like Grizzly and Buffalo Bore you can get heavy loads for the .45 Colt more easily than in the past.

There's a big debate about which is correct: 45 Colt or .45 Long Colt. Either will do.

You'll be amazed at what Steve can do with your rifle!
I have one and wouldn't part with it for the world.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

I'm a huge fan of the .45, but only if ya reload. If not, .44 manglem.
Certified gun nut
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

The 44 will give you a wider selection of bullets to shoot & cartridges. With the 44 you can shoot 44 special & of course 44 mag. and in a variety of bullet weights.

And with a 240 gr. bullet & 44mag. will out distance the 45LC. and hit justs as hard.

Easier to find 44 ammunition than 45LC. Stop by Walmart and ask for a box of 45LC. :wink:
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Shop for AMMO at Wal Mart...???

Surely, you jest...

If you DO reload -- and you SHOULD -- the .45 Colt can out-perform the upstart .44 without breaking a sweat; with bullets up to 345 grains. It REALLY shines throwing slugs of 300 or 325 grains. A .44 will want to hunt some shade, brother.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

I don't have a 45 Colt rifle but would love to get a 92 clone someday, but that being said I have been mighty happy with my 44 mag 1894 Marlin the past 32+ year, never had to shot a pig twice this combo. I used to feel the same way as Buck about the 94 Winchester being chambered in a pistol round that until I saw a 94AE Ranger Compact (Trapper) selling for $230 NIB which I could not refuse. This was back in late 2003 and this rifle has been 100% reliable and a joy to shoot especially after adding a halfcock hammer and getting rid of the tang safety smoothing up the action and trigger pull considerably.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Grizzzly wrote:I am down to 2 calibers.
A start!
I have found numerous guns in either caliber & just want to hear more opinions on both as far as accuracy to 125 yards, etc.
One or the other will be as accurate as anything given proper ammo for the gun in which used.
I do not reload as of yet but I may in the future.
You really should decide to reload and NOW. For a number of reasons, reloading may be the only way to go. But, I'll base my answer on the idea that you'll never reload since you aren't now.
I am going to go for a 16" barrel, in a winchester 94ae trapper in .44 mag or .45 colt, or a winchester 92 in .45 colt (which is a better gun ?) or a Puma in either caliber 16" barrel.
The 92 will be better with this length cartridge and you won't have to pay an unnecessary premium for an out of print gun.
Any gun I get will go to Stevesgunz to be slicked up.
An EXCELLENT idea but you could just buy it from Steve and save a journey for the gun. :wink:
I found a couple of Hartford winchester 92 in .45 lc, one in stainless that I like alot. Is 45 colt & 45 long colt the same thing ?
The correct term is .45 Colt but yes, they're the same.
I don't have alot of knowledge when it comes to rifles.
Then you should listen to us (and Steve).
I am going to shoot open sights & hunt in pretty heavy cover, shots will more likely be under 100 yards.
Don't discount a good receiver sight for such work. I find them handier, faster and more accurate at ALL ranges.
Just want some input on the caliber choices. Thanks guys, John
And you've gotten some so you're welcome! :wink:

I'd recommend that you go to Steve's site get his number and call him to order the gun. Get a .44 Mag, have him also put in the metal follower and install a good receiver sight. With the short sight radius of the 16" the receiver sight is even more important as it is not only a better precision sight but it will lengthen your sight radius which also improves accuracy. The metal follower will improve reliability. Steve sells the guns WITH his slick 'em up already done so you won't have to send it back. You have to get a really good deal on the gun to justify buying elsewhere. His price beats the price on one locally and it was as rough as a cob. I'd also recommend that he bead blast it to take the shine off. You can see a pic of such a gun on his site. Old Ironsights has one such as well IIRC.

The 1894 Winchester is too long an action for either cartridge to be ideal but many like them. The 1892 IS the better choice.

Best of luck to you.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
kooz
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kooz »

Since your gun will be used for hunting, I would try and find a Win Trapper .45 Colt . The standard m-92 will not feed with the longer nosed Keith bullets, sometimes they still won't do it even after they have been worked over by a good smith. The Win 94 will feed long bullets with no sweat and there easy to mount a scope on and there are several reciever sight options available as well. It is true that the M-92 is a slightly stronger action, but you can still throw a 320gr bullet at 1600+fps out of the Trapper and if you need more than that you should be looking at a 45/70. Good luck
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

THAT is why I HAVE a .45-70...
Regards

Buck

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Buck Elliott wrote:THAT is why I HAVE a .45-70...
:lol: Yeah... :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

kooz wrote:Since your gun will be used for hunting, I would try and find a Win Trapper .45 Colt . The standard m-92 will not feed with the longer nosed Keith bullets, sometimes they still won't do it even after they have been worked over by a good smith. The Win 94 will feed long bullets with no sweat and there easy to mount a scope on and there are several reciever sight options available as well. It is true that the M-92 is a slightly stronger action, but you can still throw a 320gr bullet at 1600+fps out of the Trapper and if you need more than that you should be looking at a 45/70. Good luck
The failure to feed Keith-style bullets isn't a fault of the gun, but rather of using a slug which has too many bumps & shoulders in its profile. Any good LBT- or Gould-style bullet of the proper length will work just fine.
Regards

Buck

Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tennessee Hayre »

A 45-70 (ummm) What more can a man ask for. You can never go wrong with a 44.mag!!!!!!
The Ultimate Authority resides in the people and that if the Federal Goverment got too powerful and over stepped it's authority then the people would develope plans of resistance and resort to arms" _____________________________________James Madison_______

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Defender Second Amendment
Constitution Party Member
kooz
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kooz »

The failure to feed Keith-style bullets isn't a fault of the gun, but rather of using a slug which has too many bumps & shoulders in its profile. Any good LBT- or Gould-style bullet of the proper length will work just fine.[/quote]

Not true at all with my guns. It is an overall length issue, I have both models of guns and with mine the M-92 will not feed anything longer than about 1.640 regardless of design and I have yet to load anything in my trappers that they will not feed. Not saying that this is the final word on this, my guns may be the exception, but if I were you I would verify what you are hearing here in these responses with an expert like Steve of Steve's gunz.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

The cartridge stop on the lifter can be cut back a mite to allow longer cartridges to get a better run at the chamber. I've done it to several B-92s to get them to feed 429421 bullets in .44 Mag. It's harder to get the fatter .45 Keith bullets to slide gracefully into the breech if they have a semi-wadcutter profle, and the longer the nose, the harder it can be. Just a FACT
Regards

Buck

BlueStateSaint
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BlueStateSaint »

Tennessee Hayre wrote:A 45-70 (ummm) What more can a man ask for.
Maybe a .450 Marlin?

I'm not trying to bust on you--an uncle of mine said that, instead of a .45/70 Guide Gun, I should lust after a .450 Marlin Guide Gun. A .450 Marlin will be good enough for anything on Earth, with commercially available factory loads.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Forget the Colt.....it is old,weak and underpowered. slugs will bounce off anything. :o .Jim.
http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/ ... vergun.htm
Grizzzly
Levergunner

Post by Grizzzly »

I want the lighter gun for hunting , that is why I want one of these calibers. Otherwise I would get a 45-70. Thanks guys, keep it comin' , John
Hunt safe, leave the land cleaner than you found it & pass on your love for the outdoors to someone else........'nuff said !!!
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

Good luck finding .45 ammo you like, if you don't reload. Especially if you get out at the camp and find you forgot to bring any. The .44 will be a lot cheaper than factory loads if you do reload but you can buy it if you need to sometime. Other than mail order and specialty shops you're only going to find light cowboy loads for .45.

They aren't, therefore... but IF everything else was equal, the .45 is better. 92 action for either, too. 94 is for rifle cartridges.

Or Marlin 1894, i haven't had a Marlin yet but I think I want one in .44 Mag to go with my 629.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

You might as well get use to the idea.....
Your gonna end up with both... :D
just like most of us :wink: :wink:
but i would probably go with the 44 mag!
and start reloading ASAP to save $$$$$$$
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I have two 92 Rossi's, one in 44 Manglum, the other in 44-40. Both will feed, cycle & eject LaserCast 240 gr. Semi-Wad Cutters, which are of a Keith design.

The 44-40 is an Interarms model 65, with the 240 gr. SWC the COAL is 1.625"

The 44 mag. is a Rossi Puma LSI with the 240 gr. SWC the COAL is 1.610"

I use the 44-40 W/ the 240 gr. SWC for CAS long range timed speed events.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
44LVR
Member Emeritus

Post by 44LVR »

All I kill is deer, bear and elk with my .44's :shock:

Seems to get the job done :mrgreen: 19 elk will attest to that :wink:

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” Ronald Reagan
Grizzzly
Levergunner

Post by Grizzzly »

Looks like the 44 mag would be the best or should I instead look at a 30-30 trapper ? I'd rather have a heavier bullet though . I think. Your right, I think I may have to buy em all. Keep it comin guys, Thanks John
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If reloading, and if you ever want to 'step-up' to something bigger, remember that the .444 Marlin uses the same bullets as the .44 Magnum, whereas the .45-70 uses a different diameter bullet than the .45 Colt. Not a big difference, but something to consider.

You know, of course, that only real gun NUTS agonize about these sorts of differences; normal people just get one or the other gun, a case or two of ammo, and go blasting. Nothing they are likely to shoot will notice a difference.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have a Puma in .480 Ruger. For what it is worth, get the caliber you want, start reloading, and then have fun. I plan on getting another Puma in another caliber someday. I don't need another, but I want one in .454 Casull.
Hobie gave some good advice, and I probably will get my next one in the already slicked up style.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
44LVR
Member Emeritus

Post by 44LVR »

piller wrote: For what it is worth, get the caliber you want, start reloading, and then have fun.
Well put!

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” Ronald Reagan
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

My delay in responding was due to the fact that I had to sit and think about my exeriences and be honest with myself about the 44 Mag and 45 Colt. Offhand, I would have screamed 45 - but I just like 45 caliber for a variety of reasons that are mostly personal and not based on facts. I have killed a bunch of deer of different varieties and a pile of hogs with 44 Mag and 45 Colt. I have also used 44 pistol bullets and 45 pistol bullets fired from a muzzleloader using sabots, at the same velocity as they would have been fired leaving from a levergun. In some instances the 45 makes a more noticeable slap when it hits game. The overall terminal damage has been greater in favor of the 45 Colt. In fairness, I have used the 44 with 240, 250 and 265 gr loadings. I have used the 45 primarily with 300 gr loadings. The bottom line on performance is that I have killed every animal I shot with either with little fanfare. I never felt lacking with either. An admittedly the 44 is easier to find suitable factory ammo for and there is more variety of premium ammo available. If you handload you can make either sing. I happen to like the Swift A Frame bullets for either, and given the option I would load the 300 gr in either. My friend that is a professional hunter on Vancouver Island shoots (himself or with clients) a lot of large black bears. He is well known as a muzzleloading specialist. In 45 and 50 caliber muzzleloaders he highly encourages the 44 diameter and 45 diameter Nosler Partition HG 300 grain bullets. The velocity they are getting with BP or BP sustitue is comparable to what you will get from a lever rifle with 44 Mag or 45 Colt - between 1500 and 1750 fps. The bullet will not know what it was fired from when it hits game. So I think the reality is that it is a wash. Pick the one you like for your own personal reasons. Having a handgun in the same caliber is cool and once you get either a rifle or handgun you will likely end up with the other in the same caliber.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

My response took sometime to consider also . I have owned a Winchester 94 trapper in 45 colt and sold it years ago to a friend moving from the east here, to Arizona to become a deputy sheriff . WORST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE I miss that gun more than most I was foolish enough to sell . Why I havn't replaced it is a mystery to me now except that I have bought many others since that have tickled my fancy .
Just before reading this again I had been looking at the H&R site at their 45 colt classic for the same basic application . The twenty inch barrel on that gives better a ballistics than the 16 inch trapper with the same over all length and weight .
My pick would be the 45 colt and START RELOADING . My trapper handled anything I put in it for feeding purposes. A very good compromise bullet is the RCBS 270Sa its a Keith style . SWC that usualy comes from my mould and my alloy at about 285 grains slighty lighter than the 300s but heavier than the 255s and 260s . I relaize that, that means getting into casting as well as reloading but both are very rewarding past times . Tailoring loads by casting will up the accuracy and punch of any gun of that type .
The right way is always the hardest. It's like the law of nature , water always takes the path of least resistence...... That's why we get crooked rivers and crooked men . TR Theodore the Great
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

My vote is for the 45 Colt. For me, I had to have a rifle to match my Colt SAA's and they're in 45 Colt.
Old Law Dawg
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

there is nothing wrong with the .429 mag :lol: :lol: that said I like a .452 bullet 8) .
I gave a friend some of my cast 250 gr LFN 45 colt bullets to try in his ruger blackhawk 7 1/2 inch barrel.he had no problem with deer and 1 pig @ 900fps.how dead is dead 8) .
pete
DAV life member.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

It is true that the M-92 is a slightly stronger action, but you can still throw a 320gr bullet at 1600+fps out of the Trapper and if you need more than that you should be looking at a 45/70.
If I remember correctly the original 45-70 buffalo killers are something along the lines of a 405gr bullet at about 1300fps for 1520 ft/lb muzzle energy, and that 320gr colt load at 1600fps is gonna generate about 1820 ft/lb at the muzzle so who needs a 45-70. The 44 can get the same muzzle energy as the colt if you can drive a 280gr at about 1710fps.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.